Should London/SE fans set up a group to help the sport?

Should a London/SE group be set up to support RL?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should a group be set up?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

On a few threads recently the view has been expressed that (1) the game at all levels is in retreat in London and the SE*, (2) given the size of the area, and  as IMG acknowledged London should matter to the sport but (3) there appears to be no interest and/or ability to promote the game here. Suggestions have been made that people here who feel strongly about this should come together and form some sort of association to see if there is anything that could be done. This would not be about promoting any particular club but the game itself.

Generally speaking (and yes I know a lot will depend on what the aims of such a group would be) is this an idea worth considering or utter madness?

Views please - particularly from anyone in London or SE.

*I realise there are plenty of other parts of the UK (well most parts in fact) where RL is in dire need of promotion but London is a special case.

So the answer is it depends?  I think for a lot of people is why would we bother when the sport does not care about us.  I've gone from being a Broncos Gold member and taking the whole month off in 2013 to travel the country to watch 10+ world cup matches, to maybe watching one broncos match this season, and the last england game I bothered to watch was v France last year.

Right now I've found other things to do on a sunday. I still follow the odd game, will probably watch England on TV in november but in terms of trying to promote the support? Why would I do that, when the sport refuses to engage at all with me.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, crashmon said:

So the answer is it depends?  I think for a lot of people is why would we bother when the sport does not care about us.  I've gone from being a Broncos Gold member and taking the whole month off in 2013 to travel the country to watch 10+ world cup matches, to maybe watching one broncos match this season, and the last england game I bothered to watch was v France last year.

Right now I've found other things to do on a sunday. I still follow the odd game, will probably watch England on TV in november but in terms of trying to promote the support? Why would I do that, when the sport refuses to engage at all with me.

I think you’ve summed up how I feel too. 

• Like 2

It's clear just by this forum that a lot of people based in London feel disenchanted and alientated when it comes to Rugby League. Judging by attendances alone it's clear that many have drifted away from the game over the years. I think anything that can address that has to be welcomed.

I don't even know what the RFL activity is in the capital these days but I think any group needs to somehow get these on board. Obviously there have been huge issues with the Londom Broncos and the paradox is they've been the problem for many but a thriving London Broncos is also part of the solution in my opinion.

• Like 2

A proper London League would be my wish for RL in London and the SE. A London premier with some regionalised divisions below. All clubs to run junior teams too. Probably just a pipe dream though

• Like 1

In recent weeks  the London Junior League has held face-to-face and online meetings with clubs to address the issues facing the clubs. At the same time London Broncos,  for the first time ever, are actively engaging with community clubs rather than just taking their players. So the sport is coming together in the Capital.

Nobody who is actively involved in Rugby league in London and the SE is ablivious to the challenges the sport faces.

What the sport could do with is less passive supporters and more who will become coaches, touchline managers, kit persons, first aiders, referees etc, etc to grow the sport at its base so that the top level of the sport sits on more solid foundations 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

In recent weeks  the London Junior League has held face-to-face and online meetings with clubs to address the issues facing the clubs. At the same time London Broncos,  for the first time ever, are actively engaging with community clubs rather than just taking their players. So the sport is coming together in the Capital.

Nobody who is actively involved in Rugby league in London and the SE is ablivious to the challenges the sport faces.

What the sport could do with is less passive supporters and more who will become coaches, touchline managers, kit persons, first aiders, referees etc, etc to grow the sport at its base so that the top level of the sport sits on more solid foundations 

Spot on.

If you want to do something, first get stuck in at your local community club. They would love to see you. Get along to a game - starting this morning/afternoon.

There is really very little you can do - even as a collective - to influence the Broncos, IMG, RLC, RFL, etc. but you might make a big difference in the community game and get to have your say at that level.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

I'm hoping to get back  helping with a club when I return this Autumn to London. Probably Brixton Bulls.

I live nowhere near London but I believe it’s somewhere we need to support. This isn’t a scam or anything but I use a website called Easyfundraising which when you shop through it a small percentage of your purchase is passed on to a cause you nominate when joining. I support Brixton Bulls as they were the first southern RL club I came across. I’ve been doing this for a few years and It’s very straightforward with no hard sells. All the big online shopping sites and supermarkets are there. I’m a great believer in lots of little things add up to a big thing. Just a thought.

Edited by Gomersall
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Good to see this after a tough start to their season:

It is quite something to see Joe Mbu's name on a teamsheet again ..

21 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Bob, you are the ideal bloke to lead this group. To set the goals, assemble the board. Plan the work, target where the effort is made. Grow the number of refs, coaches, and create new clubs. 

On 22/06/2024 at 12:13, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Good to see this after a tough start to their season:

Great news. So what has now changed after previously not being able to raise a team? Where are the players from?

Would it work if London Broncos linked up with the Skolars and 1 or 2 of the other London Southern Conference clubs as feeder clubs? 
This would give Broncos players somewhere to play if not in the match day 17 as well as providing players for the Conference clubs. They could also use these clubs to bring players through the juniors until they get an academy again. When/if the Broncos run an Elite academy they could loan any promising young players out to the conference clubs to continue their development 

Edited by JM2010

On 21/06/2024 at 17:45, crashmon said:

I think this season has not helped 

What we are going through in SL is far far worse than a year of competitive RL in the Championship 

The be all and end all of making RL work down here is a competitive Broncos in Super League 

In my opinion that trumps everything else 

48 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Would it work if London Broncos linked up with the Skolars and 1 or 2 of the other London Southern Conference clubs as feeder clubs? 
This would give Broncos players somewhere to play if not in the match day 17 as well as providing players for the Conference clubs. They could also use these clubs to bring players through the juniors until they get an academy again. When/if the Broncos run an Elite academy they could loan any promising young players out to the conference clubs to continue their development 

I doubt the Skolars would hook up with the Broncos under any circumstances after what the Broncos did to the Skolars back in 2022..  

40 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I doubt the Skolars would hook up with the Broncos under any circumstances after what the Broncos did to the Skolars back in 2022..  

I can see why they’d be sceptical but by the sounds of it there might not be a Skolars for much longer. A link up with a dual reg system would definitely help them 

On 23/06/2024 at 17:30, Damien said:

Great news. So what has now changed after previously not being able to raise a team? Where are the players from?

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Skolars not playing tomorrow due to a lack of players

Nothing evidently!