Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#841 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Less on the roads over the Pennine moors than I might have expected given how much it usually drifts, only a covering rather than feet deep. I might has well been driving with my eyes closed given the visibility with the snow and fog in places though.

Plenty of ice about this morning in Le Tour territory. The drifting makes for great variations in snow depth and some cracking shapes.

The council need to get that road to Oxenhope clear for me for Tuesday pm. I failed miserably to get up it yesterday am.

#842 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Plenty of ice about this morning in Le Tour territory. The drifting makes for great variations in snow depth and some cracking shapes.

The council need to get that road to Oxenhope clear for me for Tuesday pm. I failed miserably to get up it yesterday am.

Could do with being clear for me tomorrow if I'm to get to work.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#843 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Went out in Bradford last night, none of the shopping streets had been cleared of snow. Narrow paths of spread salt had been laid but the city's showpiece ... Millennium Square ... was a complete sheet of ice.

What added insult to potential injury was that: -
- when travelling in on the bus, three Eastern Europeans got on. They couldn't speak a word of English but had been given free bus passes. Why not get these people shifting snow?
- thirty years ago, the bin crews clearedsnow from pavements when the weather prevented refuse collection. Similarly, they could claim overtime for snow clearance duty over the weekend. Why isn't this being done now?

The useless council arranged for half the shops to be knocked down eight years ago, pocketed £50million, erected nothing to replace them, and is now doing its level best to discourage its residents from visiting the remaining ones.
<_< <_<

Rant over!!

By the way, there's an photo of an former (70's / 80's ?) soccer team on a wall in the Irish Club. One of the team is an Andrew Hindle.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#844 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

:huh:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#845 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

- when travelling in on the bus, three Eastern Europeans got on. They couldn't speak a word of English but had been given free bus passes. Why not get these people shifting snow?

How do you know they couldn't speak English?
How do you know they'd been given free bus passes?
How do you know they don't have jobs that they'd been doing, paying taxes on and therefore possibly expecting the snow to be cleared?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#846 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

How do you know they couldn't speak English? Because they couldn't communicate with the bus driver.
How do you know they'd been given free bus passes? Because the bus driver had never seen the type of pass they had been given. They weren't metrocard season tickets.
How do you know they don't have jobs that they'd been doing, paying taxes on and therefore possibly expecting the snow to be cleared? Because one of them was about fourteen, they weren't dressed for work and, to my impression, none of them looked or acted like they were potential Nobel Prize Winners

#847 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

How do you know they couldn't speak English? Because they couldn't communicate with the bus driver.
How do you know they'd been given free bus passes? Because the bus driver had never seen the type of pass they had been given. They weren't metrocard season tickets.
How do you know they don't have jobs that they'd been doing, paying taxes on and therefore possibly expecting the snow to be cleared? Because one of them was about fourteen, they weren't dressed for work and, to my impression, none of them looked or acted like they were potential Nobel Prize Winners

But presumably the bus driver was an Asian muslim who had stolen an honest Englishman's job?

How did you know the pass was free?

Good that you now what children sent out into the snow in return for bus travel.
- Severus, July 2012

#848 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

is this it?

#849 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

But presumably the bus driver was an Asian muslim who had stolen an honest Englishman's job?

How did you know the pass was free?

Good that you now what children sent out into the snow in return for bus travel.

Are you a natural Div, or have you had to work at it?

There again it could have been a TROLLey bus.

#850 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Are you a natural Div, or have you had to work at it?

It's a combination of nature and nurture.
- Severus, July 2012

#851 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

After listening to and reading some of the stories about the snow and blizzards today, isn't about time the mountain rescue services get some public money and have some people in place who are not just volunteers??
Because of the weather conditions, the MR teams of Kendal, Furness, Coniston and Wasdale attended 125 separate incidents this weekend - and the vast majority were not some stupid, ill-prepared walkers. Many were a matter of life or death - rescuing people from their car in snow drifts and digging paths as lifelines to small communities for example.
These lads are all volunteers and sometimes spend all night out in the most miserable and extreme weather, and then have to go to work the next day. If the weather continues to throw up these extreme days then they need more resources.

#852 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

After listening to and reading some of the stories about the snow and blizzards today, isn't about time the mountain rescue services get some public money and have some people in place who are not just volunteers??
Because of the weather conditions, the MR teams of Kendal, Furness, Coniston and Wasdale attended 125 separate incidents this weekend - and the vast majority were not some stupid, ill-prepared walkers. Many were a matter of life or death - rescuing people from their car in snow drifts and digging paths as lifelines to small communities for example.
These lads are all volunteers and sometimes spend all night out in the most miserable and extreme weather, and then have to go to work the next day. If the weather continues to throw up these extreme days then they need more resources.

I agree if there is money, but is there?

And especially as you forget the most important thing...

Sod's law!

(28 March 2012)
Drought conditions spread in England

:D :blink:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#853 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

The system works so why change it.

If they started to get public money the donations maybe would decrease, and you'd get the I'm paying or this so why can't you help me now attitude.

Please do not wish for any of these excellent services to come under the control of government. Cos before long they'll have targets etc then be privatised to be run for profit (as the SAR service is being)

#854 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

The system works so why change it.

If they started to get public money the donations maybe would decrease, and you'd get the I'm paying or this so why can't you help me now attitude.

Please do not wish for any of these excellent services to come under the control of government. Cos before long they'll have targets etc then be privatised to be run for profit (as the SAR service is being)

I agree to some extent.
However, there should be some things that can be centrally funded.
We may have more weather incidents like this weekend. More people are going on the fells.
Many of the volunteers have 30 plus years service and not many successors about.
God help us if it ever fell into privatised hands.

#855 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

The RNLI is funded entirely from legacies, donations and shop sales. It does not want govt funding. It works well as it is, helped by a huge army of volunteers.

on the SAR front, Bristow already runs SAR operations in the Netherlands, Norway, Trinidad, Australia, Russia, Brazil and Canada. bloody right wing govts eh? Anyway, if Bob Crow is agin it, it MUST be a good idea.)

The Mountain Rescue Services are already in private hands and that has worked well for years.

#856 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

The RNLI must be a very priveliged position compared to the MR teams then.
The Lakes are full of collecting boxes and fund raising events for the teams that the lads have to continually support by attending in their spare time, if they have any.
They occasionally get some help after major events (such as replacing equipment after the Cockermouth floods) but I feel a bit more should be done, and not have to rely as much on the vagaries of public donations.

This isn't the SAR set-up (mainly coastguarding) and a rich American corp who will need their cut of profit. This is muck and nettles on the ground rescuing (though who will call on aerial support from time to time).
Or maybe the Bristow Group will be helping their rich farmer mates pull a few sheep out of the bit of snow we've had?

#857 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

edit: nevermind.

Edited by hindle xiii, 27 March 2013 - 08:14 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#858 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

:D
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#859 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Could do with being clear for me tomorrow if I'm to get to work.

Is the road to Oxenhope still closed?

#860 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Is the road to Oxenhope still closed?

Yes. 3 days in a row I've had to detour through Booth, Wainstalls & Mixenden to get over to Denholme and head in that way. I'm living in hope it will re-open shortly!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users