Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#301 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yesterday I was looking for some cheap Morrisons own brand strong lager, for the nostalgia, I couldn't find any, but I ended up going for something that caught my eye called Gold Label, turns out it's what's known as a barley wine, it's orrite I spose, I was hoping for a lager though.

I do hope you weren't pre-loading!
It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#302 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Cooking question I've always wondered... which I can't word correctly for google

When cooking anything that requires it being held at a certain temperature for a period of time, how do you do it?

Is it same application of heat? Lower the heat? Turn off the heat?

This might be a daft question but it's something I've juggled with to no avail.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#303 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Cooking question I've always wondered... which I can't word correctly for google

When cooking anything that requires it being held at a certain temperature for a period of time, how do you do it?

Is it same application of heat? Lower the heat? Turn off the heat?

This might be a daft question but it's something I've juggled with to no avail.

You'd need an accurate and responsive thermometer, especially at first (when bringing up to the required temperature). But that's only if it is really crucial for it to be a precise, unwavering heat. Otherwise, your average oven's heat settings would probably be good enough for most purposes.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 April 2012 - 03:07 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#304 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

You'd need an accurate and responsive thermometer, especially at first (when bringing up to the required temperature). But that's only if it is really crucial for it to be a precise, unwavering heat. Otherwise, your average oven's heat settings would probably be good enough for most purposes.

Sorry I meant more on the hob. I agree with the thermometer though, of which I've recently purchased, a bit slow mind but can't complain for £3.25 - it'll do.

But once the food stuff (mainly liquid) is brought to x degrees what do I do with the gas hob?!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#305 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Sorry I meant more on the hob. I agree with the thermometer though, of which I've recently purchased, a bit slow mind but can't complain for £3.25 - it'll do.

But once the food stuff (mainly liquid) is brought to x degrees what do I do with the gas hob?!

To be honest, I don't have gas, but I'd continue tweaking and monitoring until it looks stable. Then check it every now and then.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#306 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

To be honest, I don't have gas, but I'd continue tweaking and monitoring until it looks stable. Then check it every now and then.

Okies, seems right, keep lowering it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#307 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

In these recession-hit times, it's good to see this sort of frugality. :o

#308 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Just placed an order with Virgin Wines:
4 x Familia Zuccardi Innovacion Caladoc 2008
2 x Familia Zuccardi Organica Malbec 2009
2 x The Frontier Hexagon Red Blend 2010
2 x Frank's Own Wild White 2011
1 x Java Blanc 2011
1 x Puntino Malvasia Greco Terre degli Osci 2010
...and all's well with the world. :)

#309 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Just placed an order with Virgin Wines:
4 x Familia Zuccardi Innovacion Caladoc 2008
2 x Familia Zuccardi Organica Malbec 2009
2 x The Frontier Hexagon Red Blend 2010
2 x Frank's Own Wild White 2011
1 x Java Blanc 2011
1 x Puntino Malvasia Greco Terre degli Osci 2010
...and all's well with the world. Posted Image

I got a case of some Spanish white recently from their auctions, very decent it is too.

28m391z.jpg

#310 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

The order was placed Tuesday afternoon and arrived Wednesday morning. That's pretty damn quick! :)

BTW, if you like intriguing and excellent wines, check out Familia Zuccardi - every one of their wines I've tried so far has been superb. The Caladoc, a grape variety I haven't seen anywhere else, is my current favourite (and the first one I opened from this case).

#311 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Planning on making this tonight - a very tasty and satisfying dish invented by the Russian opera singer Feodor Shalyapin. Seeing as the recipe doesn't appear to be available anywhere online, here it is:

MUSHROOMS SHALYAPIN STYLE

Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 500g Mushrooms
  • 300g Vermicelli (or similar)
  • 125g Butter
  • 3 Medium Onions
  • 150ml Sour Cream
  • 500g Cooked Ham
  • 375g Mild Cheese
  • 5tsp Parsley
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Preparation
  • Wipe and finely chop Mushrooms
  • Peel and finely chop Onions
  • Chop Ham
  • Grate Cheese
  • Chop Parsley

Instructions
1. Simmer Vermicelli in salted water until cooked and drain
2. Melt half the butter in a frying pan and cook the Mushrooms and Onions until soft
3. Stir Sour Cream into Mushrooms and Onions
4. Butter an ovenproof dish
5. Mix remaining Butter and seasoning with the Vermicelli
6. Put Vermicelli into dish and top with Mushrooms and Onions
7. Top with Ham
8. Top with Cheese
9. Top with Parsley
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until Cheese is browned

#312 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

BTW, anyone passing through St Pancras station, head to the North end and try the pork pies sold by Sourced Market. Superb, absolutely superb. :)

Their various types of Scotch Egg are pretty good too.

#313 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

I've just had a McVities dark chocolate digestive with a dollop of Nutella on top.

Marvellous

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#314 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Just bought a bottle of this new version of Tabasco, made with Chipotle (smoked) peppers. Smells nice, and spiced up a ham hock sandwich, which was the first thing I tried it on.

Posted Image

#315 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

agreed

you just develop your own judgement.

Just made a couple of litres of pea and ham soup

ham hock on the bone
some yellow split peas
onions
carrots
swede
chicken stock
seasoning.

I haven't a clue about the quantities or the temperatures.
I'm on with sea reout pate at the mo and some spicy fish cakes. I just get on with it.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#316 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've just had a McVities dark chocolate digestive with a dollop of Nutella on top.

Marvellous

just had a cheeze and chorizo muffin.
My daughter has a little business doing high end picnics: google piggy's picnics
and this was left over from a job she had. Bloody lovely.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 05 July 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Keeping it local

#317 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

agreed

you just develop your own judgement.

I haven't a clue about the quantities or the temperatures.

I just get on with it.

This applies to most cooking. The more you do it, the less you have to worry about being precise, because most cooking is not precise.The only area where you have to be spot on with weights, measures and temperature is baking.

#318 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

This applies to most cooking. The more you do it, the less you have to worry about being precise, because most cooking is not precise.The only area where you have to be spot on with weights, measures and temperature is baking.

I agree about baking, but I don't do much. My daughter is the baker: and anyway she wont let me near piggys picnics apart from washing up, which I think is harsh but fair.
Keeping it local

#319 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I don't bake much, just the occasional loaf of soda bread (because I rarely have time to make regular bread, with all the rising time etc.).

Incidentally, soda bread with finely chopped black olives and preserved peppers mixed into the dough is a very fine thing, especially eaten warm with plenty of salted butter.

#320 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

a bit too much chilli.

Is that actually possible?
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users