Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castleford hit with pretty big fine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 29 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why is it always yawkshure clubs who have problems with their fans???, like i have always said civilised behaviour ends at saddleworth when travelling east on the m62.

You just get your car vandalised at Widnes.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
absoulutely ridiculous, what happened to freedom of speech, seriously what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly. disgracefully decision. im sure the punishment wouldnt have been as severe if it had been Wigan or Leeds fans.

Your comment seems slightly hypocritical, given that you are supporting the victimisation of an individual yet also simultaneously suggesting that Cas are being victimised.
So he says - "You're not a real fishmonger, you've just done a plop in the wrong lavatory..."

#43 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

I think your missing my point here, I never said I had a problem with Thomas' sexuality, or any other player for that matter. My points were:

1. People should not be surprised or shocked that these chants go on. I have had racist remarks at many rugby grounds both amateur and professional.

2. Thomas has yet to prove himself in rugby LEAGUE

3. Some of the so called bigger clubs wouldnt have been dealt such severe penalties

Edited by BringBacktheBiff, 29 June 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#44 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you can explain the relevance of this to me i'd be grateful!
foxes or poor people?

#45 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your missing my point here, I never said I had a problem with Thomas' sexuality, or any other player for that matter. My points were:

1. People should not be surprised or shocked that these chants go on. I have had racist remarks at many rugby grounds both amateur and professional.

3. Some of the so called bigger clubs wouldnt have been dealt such severe penalties

You're honour exhibit 'A'

"RL is a mans sport at the end of the day. Not for public schooled pansies like RU."

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 29 June 2010 - 01:28 PM.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#46 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RL is a mans sport at the end of the day. Not for public schooled pansies like RU.

therefore, i presume, you'd exclude women and kids from playing it?

foxes or poor people?

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Jun 29 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You just get your car vandalised at Widnes.

how strange? mine has only ever been damaged in hull and castleford.

but i only go to widnes on average once a fortnight from my home in st helens ans as yet i have never had any problems in 40 odd years!!!......................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#48 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Jun 29 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you can explain the relevance of this to me i'd be grateful!

we shouldnt be drafting over the hill Union players in and instead should focus on bringing youngsters through

#49 Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we shouldnt be drafting over the hill Union players in and instead should focus on bringing youngsters through

As long as they are heterosexual?
So he says - "You're not a real fishmonger, you've just done a plop in the wrong lavatory..."

#50 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

come on john lock this thread and get rid of this clown........................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#51 Whacky Llama

Whacky Llama
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

the bottom line is if some imbeciles decide to chant then there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

The stewards should have started to kick people out or point them out to the police, plenty Cas could have done and didn't, the benchmark has now been set by the RFL, same should apply for all clubs who do sod all during and after games.

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. It shouldn't happen. We're well into the 21st century where racist and homophobic abuse is surely about as socially acceptable as drink driving. Clubs that do nothing about it beyond giving ground staff a meaningless chat on diversity have no grounds for complaint when they get hit with fines.

2. Absolutely irrelevant. Would it be acceptable to racially abuse an asian kid straight out of a club's academy? When does the abuse stop then?

3. I bet they would.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#53 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jun 29 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as they are heterosexual?

not at all I believe all players regardless of race, sexuality or background should get the same opportunities. I never said i agreed with the abuse Thomas was getting. I merely said it was hardly something to be shocked about and that the fine was harsh.

#54 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point exactly Roberts was a star player Thomas is garbage. Ian Roberts was a bit before my time but I have seen some footage. Played Origin and Kangaroos and proved himself to be an extremely tough competitior. Roberts earned the respect of his peers and the fans. Thomas has done nothing to warrant such respect so can hardly complain at the abuse he is receiving.

Thomas has pulled on a shirt and taken the field. That alone gets my respect.

Beyond that, he has changed codes and put his reputation on the line. That, too, deserves respect.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#55 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jun 29 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. It shouldn't happen. We're well into the 21st century where racist and homophobic abuse is surely about as socially acceptable as drink driving. Clubs that do nothing about it beyond giving ground staff a meaningless chat on diversity have no grounds for complaint when they get hit with fines.

2. Absolutely irrelevant. Would it be acceptable to racially abuse an asian kid straight out of a club's academy? When does the abuse stop then?

3. I bet they would.

I never said it was acceptable just that these things go on and people shouldnt be shocked

#56 Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not at all I believe all players regardless of race, sexuality or background should get the same opportunities. I never said i agreed with the abuse Thomas was getting. I merely said it was hardly something to be shocked about and that the fine was harsh.

Nonsense. If you read some of your comments on this thread, then you'll see that you've been pretty abusive yourself.

#57 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 29 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
come on john lock this thread and get rid of this clown........................

Sometimes it's good to let these threads run as it allows the wider world to see the contempt that we have for our idiots.

I'd be concerned if his comments went unchallenged but the overwhelming consensus is that he's wildly off the general rugby league track when it comes to his standards and stance on this issue.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#58 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jun 29 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes it's good to let these threads run as it allows the wider world to see the contempt that we have for our idiots.

I'd be concerned if his comments went unchallenged but the overwhelming consensus is that he's wildly off the general rugby league track when it comes to his standards and stance on this issue.

here here haven't seen a good lynching for a while...............christ help GT if he was black as well as gay with these neanderthals about.

#59 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Racism and homophobia is rife, especially in the amateur game. I do NOT agree with this but as it does go on people should not act so shocked, and how on earth are clubs meant to single out the offenders when there are hundreds of them chanting. i feel there was nothing more the Castleford club could have done and as such the fine was unfair end of story. I also resent being unable to voice my opinions without been referred to as an idiot and a neanderthal

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 29 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here here haven't seen a good lynching for a while...............christ help GT if he was black as well as gay with these neanderthals about.

It's bad enough that he's a Welch.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users