Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Magic Weekend Back To Cardiff

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

De we know what date yet? Bet they pick the Valentines weekend - 14th is on a Monday - so your other halves can moan cos you're away - or you can treat them and take them with you - or come home so hungover and knackered you're fit for nowt on the actual day biggrin.gif

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#22 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

If its just a jolly for the fans then I can understand the logic re closed roof and local pubs.

If its supposedly a development exercise then seeing as the Crusaders have moved North and the recent attendance at Neath was abysmal (which to me is understandable) then its a strange decision.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Jul 30 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its just a jolly for the fans then I can understand the logic re closed roof and local pubs.

If its supposedly a development exercise then seeing as the Crusaders have moved North and the recent attendance at Neath was abysmal (which to me is understandable) then its a strange decision.

It would seem to me that is is more of a 'season opener' than the previous 'promotional exercise' it was billed as before.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#24 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

As happy as I am to have it back on my doorstep if it is true does the RFL not know that February 13/14th weekend is right at the beginning of the RU SIX NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP???? They might have a bit of publicity competition to contend with , but what else is new down here!

Im not so sure the WRU would want them to be using their pitch in the build up to their money spinning season . I'll wait and see considering the WRU once described RL as the 'Child that should be strangled at birth' I'll reserve judgement .

Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#25 Bullman01

Bullman01
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

i think going back to cardiff is a good plan, however I do not think feb is good for the game, being it will be some of the first games of the new season, none of the clubs are up to speed. The other issue i have is no-one will have any money just after the christmas spend - or yes the other thing is we will not get any press at all it right in the middle of the 6 nations blush.gif blush.gif

#26 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (cardifcrusaderrob @ Jul 30 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As happy as I am to have it back on my doorstep if it is true does the RFL not know that February 13/14th weekend is right at the beginning of the RU SIX NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP???? They might have a bit of publicity competition to contend with , but what else is new down here!

Im not so sure the WRU would want them to be using their pitch in the build up to their money spinning season . I'll wait and see considering the WRU once described RL as the 'Child that should be strangled at birth' I'll reserve judgement .

This is the 'Sun' we're talking about here! Like you, I don't see the WRU agreeing to this at the start of the Six Nations Championship, particularly given that the pitch isn't that marvellous and has had to be re-laid on several occasions.

#27 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Jul 31 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the 'Sun' we're talking about here! Like you, I don't see the WRU agreeing to this at the start of the Six Nations Championship, particularly given that the pitch isn't that marvellous and has had to be re-laid on several occasions.

It isnt, i dont think, directly a wru decision. AFAIK the millinium stadium comp. is charged with making best use of the stadium to generate the income to cover the recently restructured debts from building the thing. In truth the wru cant afford to be that picky seeming that they lost: fa cup final, play off finals, league cup final and the challenge cup final and concerts have been cancelled because of the recession.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Only Rugby League could attempt to establish a new club in a new area, and then withdraw the one high profile RL event of the year in that area. It didn't make sense to move it to Edinburgh for me. In fact I've never seen a satisfactory explanation of why it was moved there.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 31 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact I've never seen a satisfactory explanation of why it was moved there.

The reasons were mainly broken promises in relation to promoting the games, it was all over here at the time.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I assume it will be the first game of the season, why else would they move it to February? Although this is the RFL, who don't have a very good track record of event organising and management!

I'd assume the first weekend of February (5th/6th).
Posted Image

#31 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Jul 31 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume it will be the first game of the season, why else would they move it to February? Although this is the RFL, who don't have a very good track record of event organising and management!

I'd assume the first weekend of February (5th/6th).

Don't bother making that assumption as Wales play England in Cardiff on the 4th. It is going to be either the following weekend or the one after that. Wales don't have another home game until March.

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Jul 30 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still peddling the "attendance competition" approach to flat capism then?

Doesn't it matter that RL is taking off very well as a sport for kids and adults in South Wales then???

Crusaders had to move north due to a lack of money, so why would the RFL give up the Welsh development project just because of that setback?

You don't have to argue South Wales out of the picture anymore. You have your sugar daddy now.

However If he pulls out will you be suggesting, just to be consistent, that RL should be packed up in Widnes?

Thought not wink.gif

#33 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

So will it be Crusaders V Wire? That would be a decent derby

#34 Symo10

Symo10
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Will be freezing but who gives a toss. Love Magic Weekend, as I said on Boots n' All. (My claim to fame!)

Cant wait, going to be great. Loved Edinburgh, but where ever it is we will have a laugh watching the greatest game on the planet!!!!

#35 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 31 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only Rugby League could attempt to establish a new club in a new area, and then withdraw the one high profile RL event of the year in that area. It didn't make sense to move it to Edinburgh for me. In fact I've never seen a satisfactory explanation of why it was moved there.

If I remember rightly the SRU were very enthusiastic and promised to promote the weekend more than had happened in Cardiff. Various local bodies like the city council and the Scottish tourist board were also involved in the bid. The weekend is still a bit of a money spinner for the host city. I'm pretty certain it was only a 2 year deal.

I don't think the 7 games over 1 weekend works. All you get is fans drifting in and out all day. And even with derbies you're still going to get some less appealing matches. A double header would be better to start the season. The RFL could pick out the best 2 matches to showcase. The roof at Cardiff would at least insure the 2 Sky matches that weekend go ahead.

The other 5 games from the 'magic weekend' could be played on the road at other locations at different stages of the year - Barcelona, Toulouse, Edinburgh or even Dublin. One match in each other loaction. That way all 7 games are played on the road but spread out over the season.

#36 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 2 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So will it be Crusaders V Wire? That would be a decent derby

Probably. Which would leave Huddersfield v Salford!

Not got a problem with going back to Cardiff, but holding it in February seems a bit daft bearing in mind the weather.
And as has been said elsewhere, not being a bank holiday will see a lot more people leaving well before the end (start?) of the last game (or two) on the Sunday.
And I've never been happy with having "derbies" rather than a random set of fixtures - seems a bit contrived.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#37 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Jul 30 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the sticking point....... dry.gif

There will be a small tournament going on at the same time called the 6 Nations which will kill local spectators, plus no hope of much local coverage. Last time was almost nill, and when I went to work in Cardiff I only passed one poster in the railway station, non existent in the city. I recall on this board they had a superb one of Deacon on the Taff beside the stadium, but never saw it round here.
Personally I am more than pleased to see it return to the MM but there could be a major drop in attendance.

#38 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

Some facts

Firstly the Millenium stadium schedule which has a gap from 4 February to 11 March
http://www.millenniu...vents/index.php

Secondly at the Fans Forum on 27th April Paul Blanchard Harlequins RL CEO stated that there would NOT be a staggered start to the season in 2011 as this had not worked for any of the clubs concerned.

With the World Club Challenge, what this will mean is that the Super League Champions and Harlequins (If they exist in 2011 and if the get the trial game hit out for the NRL club) will either have a game to be played in midweek (3 games in about 9 days) or to remain TBA on the schedule in the hope than an early Chalenge Cup exit provides an alternative date.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 06 August 2010 - 07:07 AM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#39 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Aug 6 2010, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the World Club Challenge, what this will mean is that the Super League Champions and Harlequins (If they exist in 2011 and if the get the trial game hit out for the NRL club) will either have a game to be played in midweek (3 games in about 9 days) or to remain TBA on the schedule in the hope than an early Chalenge Cup exit provides an alternative date.

So they're not going with the obvious solution of bringing the whole round of games forward then?

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Black Country Wire @ Aug 7 2010, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So they're not going with the obvious solution of bringing the whole round of games forward then?

It's not difficult, is it?

Instead of having a stand-alone SL game kick-off the season and a marquee event sandwiched into the same weekend as usual SL games, we bring the entire round forward to kick-off the season with a bang and leave the WCC on its own weekend so everyone can go.

Doesn't take a genius, does it? In fact, I can't believe they've stuck with the idiot staggered start for 5 years!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users