TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Second favourite - Other clubs you like...

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Favourite - Bradford Bulls

2nd - Batley Bulldogs

Other Notables - Hull KR, Gateshead, Catalans

Australian - St George -Illawarra Dragons.

Well the Bulls/Northern since 1985.
Batley since I did some voluntary work there 8/9 years ago.
Hull KR for about 15 years following there progress partly due to being a BIG Stanley Gene fan.
Gateshead since the SL inception and how they embraced it initially.

and St George for years most notably during the Andrew Walker, Mundine era. Would love to go to a Dragons game, well any in Australia!!! biggrin.gif

O yes and I hate Rhinos!!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

1st Wigan (been following them since the season they dragged themselves back out of the 2nd division)

2nd Crusaders (always a soft spot for the land of my (great grand) fathers. biggrin.gif

Used to follow Huyton back in the day, as they had a couple of lads play for them that I played alongside at my first club. Also they were the 'local' team.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,647 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

FEV: hometown club lifelong passion

quins/les cats/crusaders: Because I'm a believer.
Warriors/Storm, same reason
Cougars: watched them a lot when I lived there, revived when I worked in the area a couple of years ago.

Akkies: my local club.

Hunslet, live in Leeds, couldn't follow the rihinos could I? Also I'm a memnber of the WMC at the top of the road from ther ground so it's handy.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 September 2010 - 06:09 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Leeds
Batley-Home of the Roy Powell Stand
Redcliffe Dolphins and Manly
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#5 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Favourite club - Workington Town, home town and followed them since a kid.
Second favourite would be Cas, after having a spectacular drinking session with a load of Cas fans at the premiership finals in 94. God I was drunk.

#6 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

After Bradford, it has to be Catalans Dragons - having lived in the country I'm a bit of a Francophile.

Bit of a soft spot for Hull, who are technically my local (well, closest) club.

Having said that, not coming from a rugby league area and not having been brought up on the sport - I have a huge admiration (grudgingly for some) for just about every club. I think that they have all fought terrible injustices over the years and have had little support in doing so. Every fan should be justifiably proud.
People called Romans they go the house

#7 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Favourite club - Widnes, given as I was born there.

Second club - Always liked Saints and never really minded Wigan. Want Catalans to do well and went Wembley with one of their shirts on in 2007.

Australia - Like Wests Tigers as they would have been my local side when I stayed in Sydney for a few months. NZ Warriors for the expansion thing.

Amateur - recently involved at Burtonwood Bulldogs and I love it, great to see the level of commitment at grassroots RL.

#8 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 23 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After Bradford, it has to be Catalans Dragons - having lived in the country I'm a bit of a Francophile.

Bit of a soft spot for Hull, who are technically my local (well, closest) club.

Having said that, not coming from a rugby league area and not having been brought up on the sport - I have a huge admiration (grudgingly for some) for just about every club. I think that they have all fought terrible injustices over the years and have had little support in doing so. Every fan should be justifiably proud.

Good post
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

1st. Bradford Bulls
2nd. Wigan Warriors
3rd. St George-Illawarra

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

As a kid :- Wigan wacko.gif
teenager :- Saints blink.gif
Now :- Widnes sad.gif

funny how things change.

Halifax my Yorkshire club.

St George my Aussie club.

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

1st - Wigan - born and bred
2nd - Have a soft spot for all the expansion teams so will take Crusaders, London and Catalans as my chosen team in any televised game I watch.
3rd - Keighley and Barrow, had a great time when we played Keighley in the cup back in the 90's and met some superb people I am still in touch with today and Barrow since visiting earlier this season to watch there cup games.
4th - Swinton - my destination of choice if I need a live Sunday afternoon rugby fix.

At an amateur level, Wigan St Pats, Ince Rose Bridge, St Albans and South London are fixtures I look out for and teams I try and watch when I can.

Edited by shrek, 23 September 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

double post sorry.

Edited by shrek, 23 September 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#13 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Batley Bulldogs- home town, been a season ticket holder since 1989.

reserve team- Huddersfield Giants (not a fashionable team thats full of aussies huh.gif )

Aus- St. George Ilawara.
Amateur- playing with Stainland Stags ARLFC Pennine Div 5 (halifax way)

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#14 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 23 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1st - Wigan - born and bred
2nd - Have a soft spot for all the expansion teams so will take Crusaders, London and Catalans as my chosen team in any televised game I watch.

Have to agree with your 1 and 2 Shrek, though I was born about 9 miles from Wigan, but have origins in Wigan/Standish/Coppull.

I used to follow Chorley Panthers when I could. As for all the other teams, I just usually support the underdog - I don't particularly dislike any club, but probably chuckle most when Saints slip up purely because of the Wigan/Saints rivalry.

#15 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

1: widnes

2: saints/quins

aussie: roosters.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

double post tongue.gif

Edited by Viking Warrior, 23 September 2010 - 08:25 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

1. Quins Rugby LEAGUE
2. Castleford
3. Lezignan
4. Canberra
5. Keighley
6. Gateshead

I could go on........

....and I will

7. Wests Tigers
8. Catalans
9. Bulls
10. Skolars

biggrin.gif

#18 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

1st: Barrow Raiders. I used to be a soccer fan and played rah rah until I went with the lads from work to watch Barrow at Headingley in 1980 when they beat Hull FC in the semi final of the John Player. Hooked from then on. It's been a long road laugh.gif

2nd: Leeds Rhinos for no other reason than, when on our way home from Centreparcs, we popped into a pub, Travellers Rest I think, in East Keswick near Leeds for a bar lunch. Tony Kemp was having some scoff with his family. Really pleasant to my wide eyed 10 year old son. Later on Harvey Howard and Alan Tait came in and went upstairs to the restaurant. I asked the waitress if she would mind getting their autographs for the boy. She came back and took him upstairs. Didn't see him again for about 20 mins. My son was on 'cloud nine' especially as Taity christened him the 'Sparra from Barra'. It doesn't take very much to get young kids into the 'Greatest Game Of All' biggrin.gif

3rd: Eastern Suburbs (Roosters) because Kevin Hastings came for a season with Barrow. He has always been my favourite Aussie import at Craven Park closely followed by Ned Catic (also a Rooster). biggrin.gif

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#19 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Bulls / Northern first and foremost. Second team are Keighley as they were the catalyst for Super League and were right royally shafted after doing everything to get into the top flight and then denied. They also have a Bradford post code tongue.gif Next team would be any team playing the rhinos biggrin.gif

My amateur teams would be Wyke and the Heavy Woollen Donkeys as I played for both. I really must get down to watch the Donkeys next year or even for the Stable of Origin this year. Go ROTWHWD biggrin.gif .

I also played union for Wibsey alongside Wolford 76 but keep that to yourselves.
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

After Fev. Batley. I live nearer Batley than I do Fev. I 've played on Mount Pleasant (a very long time ago) I was there (a long time ago) when some Hull amateur team knocked them out of the JP Cup and felt really sorry for them. Don't get me wrong, they should have beaten an amateur team handily, they played badly but they lost because of some apalling refereeing decisions.
I've mellowed a bit towards Leeds these last few years.
In their pomp I always admired Widnes. I remember Sorrensen charging at Holding in the 1988 Premiership final, and Holding looking as though if there'd have been a hole he'd have hid in it tongue.gif
I always thought that they were very unlucky in the 1989 CC semi against Saints to have a player sent off. I reckon that team would probably have beaten Wigan that year at Wembley. As it was Saints put up a very poor show in the final.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users