Where should the World Cup profits go?

AU$7 million is not a lot of money. But it can make a difference if dispersed judiciously.

I would say the priorities should be:

1. More international development officers, who can travel anywhere in the world where the RLIF deems them to be useful.

2. The two Tier 2 nations with the best domestic setup and the best chance to elevate to near Tier 1, namely France and PNG. Put the funds into junior development, including established academies, balls and kit for the players. Establish annual coaching clinics in country (see point 4 below).

3. The tier 2 and tier 3 nations with a tangible if not strong domestic competition, especially Lebanon and Serbia, but also Fiji. Again put the funds into junior development, though not on the scale necessary for France and PNG.

4. Put funds into coaching clinics with the brief hire of the likes of Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Trent Robinson etc. during their off season (usually October).

5. The tier 3 nations with the best prospects of growth. (Jamaica? Czech Republic?)

24 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

AU$7 million is not a lot of money. But it can make a difference if dispersed judiciously.

1. More international development officers, who can travel anywhere in the world where the RLIF deems them to be useful.

2. The two Tier 2 nations with the best domestic setup and the best chance to elevate to near Tier 1, namely France and PNG. Put the funds into junior development, including established academies, balls and kit for the players. Establish annual coaching clinics in country (see point 4 below).

3. The tier 2 and tier 3 nations with a tangible if not strong domestic competition, especially Lebanon and Serbia, but also Fiji. Again put the funds into junior development, though not on the scale necessary for France and PNG.

4. Put funds into coaching clinics with the brief hire of the likes of Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Trent Robinson etc. during their off season (usually October).

5. The tier 3 nations with the best prospects of growth. (Jamaica? Czech Republic?)

As you say it should primarily go into improving facilities and developing players for the tier two and three nations. I have my doubts though. Who will the money actually belong to? The RLIF?

39 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

It is not a lot. Some good suggestions there. It will get swallowed up so quickly - that is the reason many on here were kicking off about seeing 1000s of empty seats. Every empty bay was $$$ for the RLIF!

I actually think there is more to come from this story and the end figure may by as low as A$5m. :sad:

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is not a lot. Some good suggestions there. It will get swallowed up so quickly - that is the reason many on here were kicking off about seeing 1000s of empty seats. Every empty bay was $$$ for the RLIF!

I actually think there is more to come from this story and the end figure may by as low as A$5m. :sad:

Tbh, based on how poorly attended it was, A$5m doesn't sound too bad.

There's a nascent Rugby League scene in several African nations (such as Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Burundi, Kenya), where you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. I suspect that even just the provision of free kit and equipment, and small sums for local development could go a long way in those countries. 

Dare I suggest that for many of these African nations that in France and England there will be a pool of heritage players (and supporters) who could be used to strengthen the respective national teams, and maybe generate some Latin Heat type support.

Given that RL appears to be going down the Commonwealth Games route, the inclusion of many of these nations could be a real boon. 

Also, been seen to properly support the game in Africa sends out all the right signals, and should be beneficial. 

Who knows, we could soon be celebrating a first African Championship!

Good question to pose. No easy answers.

Grassroots Development would be good but it is not much money and less accountability in grassroots across all countries, esp developing nations.

I say put it up as prizemoney for a super international tournament of all countries finishing 5th and lower in the rlwc. Let them fight it out.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Have the profits been released anywhere? Or was this the expected number?

The NRL guaranteed A$12 and Hill has been busy playing it down (A$10 and then A$7 etc.) to anyone who will listen over the last few weeks. Not great signs. But don't worry, the papers are full of Origin and NSW today again so job done.

I wouldn't like to be in charge of allocating any funds it is almost impossible to target. Collier mentioned concentrating on G20 areas like USA, Canada, Italy and such but I don't know if Nigel will kick this into the long grass. There are so many things that need to be done (like an U20s World Cup, Confed Cup, World 9s, development grants, regulating rules, match officials) and not enough money. I think Collier was quick to smell the coffee with the noises coming out of the RLWC team and realised they would have a massive budget shortfall.

This doesn't include cash spent on pursuing this fruit cakes and RU over this World Rugby League mess and Sport Accord snub. The CEO of the RLIF is certainly not a part-time job.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL guaranteed A$12 and Hill has been busy playing it down (A$10 and then A$7 etc.) to anyone who will listen over the last few weeks. Not great signs. But don't worry, the papers are full of Origin and NSW today again so job done.

So still not a final total?. I’m a bit worried that it could end up being zero

Just now, Spidey said:

So still not a final total?. I’m a bit worried that it could end up being zero

It is always a worry with RL.

I think the contract was that the NRL guaranteed funds to the RLIF as part of winning the bid - believed to be initially A$12m (trumping South Africa who guaranteed A$10m). I think the next few weeks will be the NRL squirming out of any commitments and trimming that back as far as they can. Hill was moaning in the press about the costs of staging the Women's World Cup last week.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

It is always a worry with RL.

I think the contract was that the NRL guaranteed funds to the RLIF as part of winning the bid - believed to be initially A$12m (trumping South Africa who guaranteed A$10m). I think the next few weeks will be the NRL squirming out of any commitments and trimming that back as far as they can. Hill was moaning in the press about the costs of staging the Women's World Cup last week.

If they couldn’t support the funding for it, they shouldn’t have bid for it in the first place. That initial $12 million should be guaranteed and watertight 

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

In that case the guarantee should be invoked and the NRL should make up any shortfall between the guaranteed amount and the actual amount.

I’d leave the Australians to do the heavy lifting in the Pacific. It’s not as if they are skint down there...

The RLIF should be prioritising domestic development in European Federation nations like Ireland, Wales, Serbia, Lebanon, South Africa and Jamaica et al with a view to WC2021.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

If they couldn’t support the funding for it, they shouldn’t have bid for it in the first place. That initial $12 million should be guaranteed and watertight 

Therein lies the problem, the chairman of the RLIF and soon-to-be CEO is Nigel Wood who, apart from trying to run the international game, is trying to convince the NRL to sign off on a GB tour to Australia in 2019 and an Australian tour to the UK in 2020. Talk about conflicts and lack of independence. 

I bet if the USA and Canada get the World Cup signed off in 2025 it will be a cast iron contract for guaranteed payment to the RLIF. No mates rates for the 2025 gang.

Well, Nigel Wood is reportedly going to be earning $500,000 a year at the RLIF, so $2million over the 4 year cycle. If true, that's a massive chunk of it gone straight away.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Ridiculous notion that we can create a competitive Wales, Scotland and Ireland without any pro clubs in these countries. Let's get money invested into expansion SL clubs like Celtic Crusaders or a Edinburgh or Dublin clubs.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

You can invest all you want in Scottish,Irish and Welsh development offices, but if we don't have any clubs for them to play for and fans to get behind then what is the point?

The RFL needs to own and run the two Welsh clubs, plus C1 start ups in Ireland and Scotland. These are all 'special cases' and need to be nurtured and financially supported until they can stand alone. This will be a five to ten year commitment. 

1 minute ago, Number 16 said:

The RFL needs to own and run the two Welsh clubs, plus C1 start ups in Ireland and Scotland. These are all 'special cases' and need to be nurtured and financially supported until they can stand alone. This will be a five to ten year commitment. 

I agree but try get this past the Batley's and Fev's of the world.

12 hours ago, Number 16 said:

There's a nascent Rugby League scene in several African nations (such as Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Burundi, Kenya), where you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. I suspect that even just the provision of free kit and equipment, and small sums for local development could go a long way in those countries. 

Philippines as well. Money goes along way over there. 

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The RLIF should be prioritising domestic development in European Federation nations like Ireland, Wales, Serbia, Lebanon, South Africa and Jamaica et al with a view to WC2021.

Don't you think South Africa should be the NRLs job since its across the road?

13 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think a % should go to the nations involved since they are the ones that made the WC what it was. Obviously the Pacific and Wales Scotland and Ireland could really use it. 

I always thought school boy RL tours was a great way to get kids thus player numbers into our game. Saying to a athlete in the USA or Canada "hey come play this sport and if your good enough in 2 years time you can go on a sporting holiday around Europe or the Pacific". Its a great way to sell the game to the kids. It also gives those kids a vehicle to showcase their skills to nations with a professional competition creating a pathway into Super League or the NRL. 

5 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I agree but try get this past the Batley's and Fev's of the world.

As I have posted before, this is just not true. It is a totally inaccurate representation of supporters and board members of these sides.

Ironically you have used 2 of the most forward thinking clubs in the Championship.

Actually I would be very interested in an Edinburgh side and would go to games when I am there. 

I can also see the merits of a Dublin based side as teams from the capital are always well supported home and away.

Archived