Match thread versus York

Maureen T-k

ROVERS skipper Ian Hardman looks set to make his first appearance of the year after being included in head coach John Duffy’s 19-man squad ahead of Featherstone’s friendly encounter against York City Knights (kick-off 3.00pm).

The Rovers will be looking to continue their unbeaten pre-season run, having recorded victories over Castleford and Halifax in recent weeks.

Hardman has overcome a minor injury and is back in the fray, alongside John Davies and Scott Wheeldon.

New signing Gareth Hock will sit out the warm-up contest, as will James Lockwood and Keal Carlile.

The pair are being rested while Hock works towards full match fitness. Jason Walton (knee) and Chris Ulugia (shoulder) remain sidelined, although Ulugia has now returned to full training.

The 19-Man Squad: Anthony Thackeray, Brad Knowles, Connor Farrell, Danny Maskill, Frankie Mariano, Gareth Gale, John Davies, Josh Hardcastle, Ian Hardman, Luke Briscoe, Luke Cooper, Martyn Ridyard, Matty Wildie, Misi Taulapapa, Richard Moore, Sam Brooks, Scott Wheeldon, Shaun Robinson, Tom Holmes.

Tickets are priced at £10 (adults), £8 (concessions) and £5 (juniors).

Admission can be gained via the turnstiles, when purchasing tickets from the Ticket Office situated close to the main gates.

Im Fev and im proud

Most interesting thing on Sunday might be how Thackeray's used. Presumably Hardman being renamed captain implies he's going to be on the field, and presumably at full back.

Ridyard is always likely to be one of the first names on the teamsheet and it seems very likely that Holmes gets a good crack at the other half back position.

Best guess is Thackeray is first in line to cover all three positions? In an average year that could still see him play 20+ games of course once injuries kick in.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Most interesting thing on Sunday might be how Thackeray's used. Presumably Hardman being renamed captain implies he's going to be on the field, and presumably at full back.

Ridyard is always likely to be one of the first names on the teamsheet and it seems very likely that Holmes gets a good crack at the other half back position.

Best guess is Thackeray is first in line to cover all three positions? In an average year that could still see him play 20+ games of course once injuries kick in.

My first thought too.

I think maybe Hardman at FB Ridyard & HOlmes HB and Wildie Hooker in the starting XIII and then Thacks off the bench sharing with Wildie, but also mixing it up with the HBs..

Another possibility would see Thacks continue at FB and Hardman at centre.

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I would like to see Misi on the wing, which is his best position, and another look at Gareth Gale at centre.

I agree wing is Misi's best position, but who would you drop out of Briscoe and Robinson? Briscoe's game is really developing and he was becoming almost Misi-like in his ability to win penalties last season, whilst Robinson has shown plenty of promise and also been earning penalties for us in his two friendly games so far.

17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

My first thought too.

I think maybe Hardman at FB Ridyard & HOlmes HB and Wildie Hooker in the starting XIII and then Thacks off the bench sharing with Wildie, but also mixing it up with the HBs..

Another possibility would see Thacks continue at FB and Hardman at centre.

Maybe maskill will get a run at 9 with wilde?

Its pussibly due to marketing and Sponsorship.I have been to the Club shop three times over the Christmas period to spend a decent amount of money and found the shop busy with lines sold out and awaiting new deliveries and I have never known a high amount of high spending companies coming on board with a lot of new names which is largely down to Dave Longo and his staff and long may it continue.

On paper this game should be just as much of a test as Halifax, all bar one of York's starting 13 have come down to League 1 having played in the Championship in the last couple of years (with a couple having played for SL teams) and there will be plenty of familiar names in their line-up, including our former faves Andy Ellis and Tim Spears. Hope the weather doesn't spoil it but forecast doesn't look great.

24 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes, that would be interesting. Of the little we have seen of him he's played second row though it's hard to judge sometimes with players juggling positions.

Said in his interview other day, hes not played in his natural position yet, so think tommorow probably the last chance to give him a go. As we will probably want to be at full pelt for leeds friday, ready for the league starting.

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On paper this game should be just as much of a test as Halifax, all bar one of York's starting 13 have come down to League 1 having played in the Championship in the last couple of years (with a couple having played for SL teams) and there will be plenty of familiar names in their line-up, including our former faves Andy Ellis and Tim Spears. Hope the weather doesn't spoil it but forecast doesn't look great.

Is the game still on?. Coming down in bucketfuls in my quarter.

Archived