The Tory Leadership Contest

Because campaign groups always have slogans.  Did you really need to ask?

But it appears to have been a lie based on a lie.  The money isn't there, and even if it was they had no intention of giving it to the NHS.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Semantics.

Absolutely correct.

Semantics
sɪˈmantɪks/
noun
noun: semantics; noun: logical semantics; noun: lexical semantics
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The two main areas are logical semantics, concerned with matters such as sense and reference and presupposition and implication, and lexical semantics, concerned with the analysis of word meanings and relations between them.
the meaning of a word, phrase, or text.

Semantics is an important subject.  Without it, we wouldn't understand each other.

But it appears to have been a lie based on a lie.  The money isn't there, and even if it was they had no intention of giving it to the NHS.

The debate was over the 'Let's give ...' suggestion and not the £350 million.  The figure is a separate debate as even £200 million is a vast sum to be sending to a faceless beaurocracy in another country.  But 'Let's give ... ' suggests to everyone that we can do something else with that money than send it to the EU, such as boosting funds for the NHS.

Absolutely correct.

Semantics

sɪˈmantɪks/

noun

the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The two main areas are logical semantics, concerned with matters such as sense and reference and presupposition and implication, and lexical semantics, concerned with the analysis of word meanings and relations between them.

Semantics is an important subject.  Without it, we wouldn't understand each other.

We don't understand each other, even with semantics!

And before you kick off, that was a light-hearted comment, nothing more, nothing less.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Where's the lie?

if they had said the whole £350 million would be spent on the NHS, then you could make a case out.

But you have said in particular that Andrea Leadsom was guilty of lying.

Can you give us any clear examples?

It seems to me that your image in exactly that clear example..

1. The figure of £350 million is itself a lie, as has been shown aurhoritatively and conclusively and repeatedly.

2.the phrase " Lets give it to the NHS INSTEAD"speaks for itself.

I can't account for anyone else's ability to understand the English language.  However, I can understand the English language.

That quite an assertion, one, it seems to me, not fully backed up by the evidence!

47% of Leave supporters believed the £350m claim.

Some people voted for Leave because they thought it would save the NHS, with a big cash injection and a reduction in the 'flooding' of immigrants into the system.  Both are lies, mistruths, not true, false ambitions.  But hey it seems no one ever said it.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Its a post-fact world.

No one said immigration would be reduced (despite Gove running for PM saying That).

No one ever said £350m would be spent in the UK.

Now stop moaning you losers.  Suck it up.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

And in leadership news.  May might be PM in 10 days.

Absolutely correct.

Semantics

sɪˈmantɪks/

noun

sophistry

ˈsɒfɪstri/Submit

noun

the use of clever but false arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.

"trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"

a fallacious argument.

plural noun: sophistries

synonyms: specious reasoning, the use of fallacious arguments, sophism, casuistry, quibbling, equivocation, fallaciousnes

Its a post-fact world.

No one said immigration would be reduced (despite Gove running for PM saying That).

No one ever said £350m would be spent in the UK.

Now stop moaning you losers.  Suck it up.

The world today is the same as it was ten days ago. It just seems different.

As for "Stop moaning you losers," Here's the odd thing for me. I've accepted it. Ten days ago, I was incandescent with rage. I found it hard to be rational. After all, 52% of my countrymen had just been irrational. (Personal perception, don't fly off the handle.) But now, I have calmed down. I can't change it. I don't think anyone should try. (That really would be irrational) However, I just get a feeling that it's the winners who are struggling to accept the result. It's as if they can't quite believe it themselves. The Boris stuff is like a personification of this - he didn't think leave would win, but they did; and now he doesn't quite know what to think, or do. As a result, he's been caught in the headlights and it's "On yer bike, Boris!"

Maybe the winners need to "suck it up"?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

However, I just get a feeling that it's the winners who are struggling to accept the result. It's as if they can't quite believe it themselves.

Your feeling is off base.  The winners aren't struggling to accept the result at all.  Some of them are waiting for the abuse to subside.  However, your assessment that they were surprised at the result is accurate enough.  I'd guess that probably most of us were.  We were delighted at the same time.

Some members of the Conservative party are talking of legal action if May is allowed to win the election without it going to the members.

Watched Andrea Leadsom on Marr earlier. She really doesn't like being challenged, even gently, on anything she's said or done. Very stroppy.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Watched Andrea Leadsom on Marr earlier. She really doesn't like being challenged, even gently, on anything she's said or done. Very stroppy.

Thatcher mk ii ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

No. He's right. You're wrong.

How dare you! She's never wrong!

Clement Attlee.

Thatcher mk ii ?

She says as much herself. It really has to be Theresa May for me because she's the least right wing economically (except possibly Stephen Crabb but I don't want a homophobic prime minister)

Will there be a General Election afterwards to give whoever wins a true mandate?  I'd say the answer lies with Labour, if they get their act together (unlikely) there won't be, if they don't get their act together then there definitely will be.

Clement Attlee.

Will there be a General Election afterwards to give whoever wins a true mandate?  I'd say the answer lies with Labour, if they get their act together (unlikely) there won't be, if they don't get their act together then there definitely will be.

Honestly I think Labour have gone past the point of return. MPs that voted against Corbyn have received unimaginable amounts of threats from Corbyn's acolytes and he's already persuading constituency parties to vote against MPs. On the other hand far larger numbers of the public elected the MPs on the basis of Ed Miliband's manifesto than voted for Corbyn and a large percentage of them would have voted for other parties if they'd have known they'd have got Corbyn (I certainly wouldn't have voted Labour if I'd known what would follow) and noone can lead a party if nearly everyone in parliament is against him

Leave campaign June 22nd 2016: Let's take back control.

Leave campaign and its supporters June 2017: We never said it was about being fully in control, it was about being in control of the decision of whether we want to be in control. We've decided we want to accept all the laws EU members do and not be in control and which is totally consistent with what we campaigned for.

Archived