Jump to content

Uninteresting Trivial Facts


Recommended Posts


A friend of mine was second in A Song for Cyprus.

As the winner had pretty much already been selected, that was actually impressive and he is easily the most talented musician I know.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An actual mosquito task force rang my door bell last night. A mosquito task force!

I'd just watered the plants on the front window sill which they ummed and arred at, but the worst is that i now have to clean an unused Jacuzzi on Sunday. On the roof. In the sun. Hungover.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

An actual mosquito task force rang my door bell last night. A mosquito task force!

I'd just watered the plants on the front window sill which they ummed and arred at, but the worst is that i now have to clean an unused Jacuzzi on Sunday. On the roof. In the sun. Hungover.

It does seem unreasonable of them to get you drunk on Saturday.

  • Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm working all weekend and have had LBC on in the background all day.  I think I've heard about every iteration of judgementalism that there is possible on all major subjects we have today.

The latest one is "kids are fat because parents are lazy, parents can't say no and take their kids two stops on a bus then stuff their faces with McDonalds rather than walk then eat healthy stuff".

:P

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm working all weekend and have had LBC on in the background all day.  I think I've heard about every iteration of judgementalism that there is possible on all major subjects we have today.

The latest one is "kids are fat because parents are lazy, parents can't say no and take their kids two stops on a bus then stuff their faces with McDonalds rather than walk then eat healthy stuff".

:P

Sounds like a fair analysis of the British diet. ☺

  • Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ckn said:

I'm working all weekend and have had LBC on in the background all day.  I think I've heard about every iteration of judgementalism that there is possible on all major subjects we have today.

The latest one is "kids are fat because parents are lazy, parents can't say no and take their kids two stops on a bus then stuff their faces with McDonalds rather than walk then eat healthy stuff".

:P

The Nigel Farage show is a proper Trump/Assad/anti-EU love-in.  But, know your enemy and all that stuff...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's midnight and I've been working bar a 15 minute break since 9am.  Probably a 3-4am finish as well :(

I've just kicked two GPs offline to bed by blocking their shared file access because they've got clinics to run in the morning.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my car back from repairs, complete servicing (sparks to all fluids, etc.) and MoT.  Needed a new water pump, brake lines, tyres, pads and a few other bits to bring it up to a standard where it resolved the niggling problems, passed the MoT and get zero advisories.  £2202.24

Not on the rant thread because it needed to be done and means the car is in good shape now for a good while to come.:)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Got my car back from repairs, complete servicing (sparks to all fluids, etc.) and MoT.  Needed a new water pump, brake lines, tyres, pads and a few other bits to bring it up to a standard where it resolved the niggling problems, passed the MoT and get zero advisories.  £2202.24

Not on the rant thread because it needed to be done and means the car is in good shape now for a good while to come.:)

wow - that sounds a lot, where was that done? kwik fit or somewhere?

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, ckn said:

The Nigel Farage show is a proper Trump/Assad/anti-EU love-in.  But, know your enemy and all that stuff...

have you heard the bitchy gay guy whos on at 4am? steve allen, now that is something to behold.

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

wow - that sounds a lot, where was that done? kwik fit or somewhere?

Dealership.  I got independent quotes from a specialist garage and a garage I know well who has done things in the past and they came in at quite a bit more expensive.  Plus, it's dealership stamps in the book.

Don't get a German car if you aren't willing to stump up big bills now and again.

Some of the repairs that were needed were a good 10k-20k miles over their expected lifecycle so they were due, I knew that when I got the car that they were going to be due.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Dealership.  I got independent quotes from a specialist garage and a garage I know well who has done things in the past and they came in at quite a bit more expensive.  Plus, it's dealership stamps in the book.

Don't get a German car if you aren't willing to stump up big bills now and again.

Some of the repairs that were needed were a good 10k-20k miles over their expected lifecycle so they were due, I knew that when I got the car that they were going to be due.

dealerships are rip offs, some spotty 17 year old will have changed the oil and plugs and a bloke who got the sack from the rac for drink driving will have done the rest, stamps from a trusted garage are just as good= I have a german car - its got fsh - merc taxis where we holiday have 600k plus miles on them, don't hear of them getting bills like that- your paying dealership prices there mate- sorry.

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I sometimes wonder where they keep all the stuff at argos

Half of it’s in my garage . On the brighter side I think my mam said the catalogue was back .... most uninteresting trivial facts I know are off QI , like herods wife was called Doris and nearly 50% of adult Americans belief the earth is less than 10000 years old 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, JonM said:

Herod had his first three sons executed for treason.

Yeh that kind of stuff . I love all that useless trivia I can thrill friends with on the bus 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

Half of it’s in my garage . On the brighter side I think my mam said the catalogue was back .... most uninteresting trivial facts I know are off QI , like herods wife was called Doris and nearly 50% of adult Americans belief the earth is less than 10000 years old 

 

32 minutes ago, JonM said:

Herod had his first three sons executed for treason.

That is the strange thing about history, different stuff is memorable.

Were I introduced to a new colleague at work with, "This is Herod.  He mudered his eldest three sons for treason and his wife's name is Doris.  He willl be working with Automation",

I would not go away thinking,

"Fancy! The new automation man's wife's name is Doris!  I will certainly remember that!"

But, somehow, because it happened a long time ago, that it was sticks in my mind.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

these facts are too interesting - can we please get back on thread or lock it? 

I have only been in a range rover once and that was as a passenger this year.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

For 500 years from the 13th century 70% of all English males were called Robert Richard John Thomas or William ...

 

  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got some stuff from the Maplin closing down sale. £50 for about £400 of stuff. I felt like a ghoul ...  I’d have been delighted with it if I’d spent £200, £50 seems like theft. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a good bit of CAT6 cabling to do more work, new 2.0 HDMI cables to replace the old 1.0-1.4 ones I have that aren’t up to the job of the 4K telly stuff I’m going to upgrade to soon. I’ve got enough new components to refill my component boxes and I’ve replaced some of my older electric/electronic work tools. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Just got some stuff from the Maplin closing down sale. £50 for about £400 of stuff. I felt like a ghoul ...  I’d have been delighted with it if I’d spent £200, £50 seems like theft. 

Think I went a bit too early. Saved a bit but not that much, but got the stuff I wanted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Think I went a bit too early. Saved a bit but not that much, but got the stuff I wanted. 

You can even buy the shelves and other shop fittings now. I spent about an hour in the shop. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...