paley

What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

This artist first made her name in a non-musical way in 1989. Remember her?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

22 hours ago, distantdog said:

Harmonies to die for! Better than the original by some way.

That's a shame, I thought it was going to be a cover of You're the One by The Men They Couldn't Hang 😞

• Like 1

Not a song, but indirectly relevant to this thread, as one of the great music publications bites the dust after 34 years. I've been reading it since buying the first issue in 1986. Sad day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Not a song, but indirectly relevant to this thread, as one of the great music publications bites the dust after 34 years. I've been reading it since buying the first issue in 1986. Sad day.

I used to get Q every month, because nobody else was doing so many reviews of so much music. I even stuck with it through their embarrassingly middle-aged crush on Michael Stipe, who seemed to feature in every single issue for a while.

I discovered a ton of artists I'd never have heard of without their good work. Unlike some other music publications, it usually felt like the reviewers had actually listened to the music before writing about it.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I used to get Q every month, because nobody else was doing so many reviews of so much music. I even stuck with it through their embarrassingly middle-aged crush on Michael Stipe, who seemed to feature in every single issue for a while.

I discovered a ton of artists I'd never have heard of without their good work. Unlike some other music publications, it usually felt like the reviewers had actually listened to the music before writing about it.

I'm a fan of R.E.M. so I didn't mind the Stipe crush. It was their Nu-Metal phase I struggled with. 😁

I used to buy Word Magazine too, when Q founders David Hepworth and Mark Ellen went off to start something new. That was a great mag, but it didn't last a fraction of the length of time Q has managed.

There's nothing online to match or replace either of them.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I'm a fan of R.E.M. so I didn't mind the Stipe crush. It was their Nu-Metal phase I struggled with. 😁

I used to buy Word Magazine too, when Q founders David Hepworth and Mark Ellen went off to start something new. That was a great mag, but it didn't last a fraction of the length of time Q has managed.

I don't mind R.E.M., but Q did go a bit evangelical about Stipe's every utterance for a bit.

I moved on to Mojo, but after a few very good years, I saw the range of faces on the covers narrow more and more. Ooh look, the Beatles/Stones/Dylan again! The more adventurous Word and Uncut followed (some great cover CDs), then I gradually stopped buying magazines in general.

Q under Hepworth & Ellen was great, because they didn't see popular music as something to be po-faced, overthought and humourless about. They had regular updates on the progress being made by a made-up band (Comfort of Strangers, maybe?), entirely worded in PR cliches, and their small ads for tickets had a cartoon of a hand holding a ticket with "Dumpy: admit one" on it. 

On 20/07/2020 at 22:15, John Drake said:

The Quietus isn't bad.

Word was brilliant. And seemed to have a decent readership. I think I realised once that went then there wasn't much chance for any 'new' magazine.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Today, I have been mostly listening to this:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 20/07/2020 at 15:07, John Drake said:

I am glad you mentioned this John. I bought it at the beginning though I thought it became too modern and mainstream. The layout as much as the content. 

I like Shindig, Prog magazine and classic rock. I read Mojo and Uncut too. 

A nicely understated, minimalist little tune...

There are loads of videos from Live at Daryl's House. Some interesting collaborations, usually great sound quality, plus Daryl Hall's voice is still in fine form. Here's Cee Lo Green doing an old Hall & Oates hit.

Just found out this was released 45 years ago yesterday.

I'm going to let that sink in.

Forty

Five 

Years

Where did that go?

Edited by Shadow

I think this is the only recording of Beth Rowley singing the introduction to the Strike series of detective series on the BBC. Why she hasn’t recorded and released a full version of this beautiful song remains a mystery. Other artists have covered it but none are anywhere near as good as Beth’s version.

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

This will make every NO/JD fan quake in their boots, this is awful.

This is a topical song at the moment.

Interestingly the next track on the album, Gorilla, is Equestrian Statue. 

I like Jollity Farm and Button up your overcoat from the same CD.

• Like 1

I can't find the what are you listening to thread, but as this has appeared I post this, my favourite from an album I won. The version I won had an holographic cover and Astro & Ali Campbell's autograph

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I can't find the what are you listening to thread, but as this has appeared I post this, my favourite from an album I won. The version I won had an holographic cover and Astro & Ali Campbell's autograph

When UB40 were more than just a covers band 😎