Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

I've been one to eats bacon every morning. Good bacon on good bread is probably what I would ask for as my choice of last meal on earth.

However, not so surprisingly I'm enjoying substituting bacon with kippers on occasion has been wonderful. Good smokey kippers with a poached egg.... top breaky

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I've been one to eats bacon every morning. Good bacon on good bread is probably what I would ask for as my choice of last meal on earth.

However, not so surprisingly I'm enjoying substituting bacon with kippers on occasion has been wonderful. Good smokey kippers with a poached egg.... top breaky

We had a family holiday in Northumbria years ago, and stayed at a farm B&B near Craster. Quite apart from the home-cured bacon, freshly-picked wild mushrooms and duck eggs that the farm itself provided, Craster kippers are among the best you'll find anywhere. Our breakfasts were amazing.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Ostrich curry, based loosely on this recipe.

Not bad at all, and you could do it with other meat. I just spotted ostrich steaks in Lidl the other day and made an impulse buy.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Just eaten a large portion of Mrs Moose's rhubarb crumble, it is the food of gods.?

I was in hospital once and the food was abysmal. But, one day the pudding was rhubarb and ginger crumble. Perhaps it was because I was so hungry but I csnnot ever remember tasting anything as good.

I have a rhubarb clump in  the garden  and one of these days.......

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Rhubarb and ginger is a great combination. Under crumble, that's another level of pleasure altogether.

Edited by Futtocks

Experimenting, of fashion, with my own pizza toppings. Started with Parma ham and rocket. Moved on to Milano Salami and now thinly sliced Chorizo.

It makes you realise that less is more when it comes to pizza toppings.

28 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Experimenting, of fashion, with my own pizza toppings. Started with Parma ham and rocket. Moved on to Milano Salami and now thinly sliced Chorizo.

Chorizo, when it starts crisping at the edges and dripping that tasty red red oil onto the rest of the pizza?

That's gold!

306305-the-footy-show.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, longboard said:

Home grown?

I'm fortunate enough to live within the rhubarb triangle (Rothwell, Morley and Wakefield) so no need to grow it myself, there's plenty of farm shops in the area.

When I was a youngster rhubarb was usually called tuskie/tusky, is this a regional word or is used elsewhere?

48 minutes ago, Moose said:

I'm fortunate enough to live within the rhubarb triangle (Rothwell, Morley and Wakefield) so no need to grow it myself, there's plenty of farm shops in the area.

When I was a youngster rhubarb was usually called tuskie/tusky, is this a regional word or is used elsewhere?

I think it's a regional thing.

I grow my own - rhubarb that is. Nothing better than the Yorkshire climate for it. It's quite easy to force it. I came cross a shop locally selling early Dutch rhubarb a few weeks ago. Outrageous when we are so close to the triangle...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

In California, I would make a very popular pizza of potato, olive oil and rosemary. No tomato or cheese. It worked thanks to really good olive oil, harder to get here. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

In California, I would make a very popular pizza of potato, olive oil and rosemary. No tomato or cheese. It worked thanks to really good olive oil, harder to get here. 

You raise a very good point, good olive oil is almost impossible to get in UK supermarkets.

I love most things about Yorkshire, but I draw the line at rhubarb.

I remember the crushing disappointment of once being given a pink and yellow chewy sweet to eat. I popped it into my mouth but, Instead of the expected yummy fruit salad, I got the truly horrible rhubarb and custard.

#crimeagainsthumanity

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

You raise a very good point, good olive oil is almost impossible to get in UK supermarkets.

I have been clarifying butter since getting back.  Which is rather old school.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I love most things about Yorkshire, but I draw the line at rhubarb.

I remember the crushing disappointment of once being given a pink and yellow chewy sweet to eat. I popped it into my mouth but, Instead of the expected yummy fruit salad, I got the truly horrible rhubarb and custard.

#crimeagainsthumanity

I wouldn't expect a Welshman to have the discerning palate necessary to appreciate the delicate taste of forced rhubarb. ?

Mrs Moose makes it with an oat topping. Yesterday's masterpiece was served with fresh raspberries and single cream, no custard.

5 hours ago, longboard said:

I think it's a regional thing.

I grow my own - rhubarb that is. Nothing better than the Yorkshire climate for it. It's quite easy to force it. I came cross a shop locally selling early Dutch rhubarb a few weeks ago. Outrageous when we are so close to the triangle...

Dutch rhubarb, another reason to exit the EU, get it taxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Dutch rhubarb, another reason to exit the EU, get it taxed.

Aye, it's clogging up the market for the champagne Yorkshire rhubarb. :ph34r:

I see Sainsbury's have started employing heavy drinkers in their product concept department...

465288.jpg?v=1

• Like 1

On 12/04/2017 at 10:08 AM, getdownmonkeyman said:

Then you have to source good deli's, even here in Hastings we have a few really good regional shops, sourcing good Asian and European food - for now, until the Brexit Nazis close the borders to imported food then we're all back to egg & chips, and chip shop curry as exotic.

I hope all of you who voted for brexit are happy with your insular selves.

Edited by Bleep1673

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

The memsahib's meight n taity pie n mushy peyz for tea...... #foodhero

Any chance of her recipe or is she a bit of an instinct cook?

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

She just gets the best she can get. 

Lightly flour beef. Fry off and then in same pan fry off onions n carrots. Degalze pan and braise beef onions n carrotts in Half brown beer, half good beef stock made from bones from butcher. Add salt pepper and thyme n bay leaves from garden.

Add Half inch cubed taities  cooked 10 mins...

Pastry..... she uses half butter n half poncey italian lard she gets from butcher.... it really does make a difference.... crunchy n crisp.

Mushy peyz.... only steeped peyz will do...

Jeez I'm stuffed. Sometimes the simple stuff done well is just perfect

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 3

From the 1972 cookbook, Be Bold with Bananas.

%E2%80%9CDrip-mayonnaise-down-the-sides-

• Like 1

My Aunt's soda bread:

2 large tbsp plain flour,

5   “       “     brown (wheaten) flour

1   “       “     bran

1  ditto         wheat germ

1   ditto        pinhead oatmeal (not porridge and this is an optional extra)

1 heaped teaspoon bread (baking) soda

pinch of salt

buttermilk as required

Optional extras which make it a richer and softer mix:  any of: 1 oz. butter(rubbed into dry ingredients, an egg mixed with the milk or some cream if you have leftovers.

The above quantity makes a fairly small loaf.

Method :  mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and filter through the fingers to aerate.  mix in enough buttermilk to moisten well. Then either put mix into a loaf tin (greased or lined) or a small round tin or if you have no tins you could turn the mix out onto a floured board and shape into a round and place on a baking tray or any flat (oven proof) surface.  It is traditional to cut a cross on the top if making a round loaf – for even baking and also to let out the fairies!!!

Bake for approximately 30 minutes in a hot oven  400f/200c/gas6.  The base should sound hollow when rapped with the knuckles if baked through. Cool on wire rack and use fresh.

I find it keeps ok for 2 or 3 days (especially if you have added any of the optional extras.  It freezes and defrosts in microwave very well.  I make the recipe x 3 and bake in two 8” round tins.