Our game is dying...

http://www.therfl.co.uk/about/news_item.php?id=18323

The profit isn't very much but then again it's better to pay it out to the clubs, grassroots, the Benevolent fund, facilities etc. than pay tax and have it in the bank.

Well done, RFL management.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

It was interesting to see that

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

A Warrigton v Leeds Carnegie Challenge Cup Final should sell out and help profits for 2010 - may also help to get a decent gate for London Skolars,if they promote their friday night match properly.

Was about to comment that it would be an interesting game but realise that by Leeds Carnegie Challenge Cup you were refering to the Cup sponsor rather than the Leeds Rugby Union team.

Isn't it right that the RFL are run as a not-for-profit organisation?

Is that right Dave??

Maybe thats why we lag so behind the major team sports in the UK.

RFU Profit before tax increased from a loss of

Is that right Dave??

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Is that right Dave??

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Yes they did, just chose to distribute it to the game. What good would it being doing in Osborne's pocket or in the bank? There are no shareholders to worry about.

I think it all depends on whether you want to live year-by-year or put stuff away in a rainy-day pot. The RFU seems to like large profits to keep up their reserves, allowing them to do large-scale capital projects, and also try to give roughly the same out every year, the RFL seems to like doing it on a year-by-year basis.

I personally would prefer a lower increase to the clubs and more away in reserves as I think sport funding, especially through Sport England, will get hammered after the Olympics in 2012. If you get the amateur game used to a level of funding then reduce it sharply to meet a poorer general fund then you get a situation where the game could struggle.

Well done to the RFL for yet another good set of results, maybe it's time to think of the future though and start increasing that piggy-bank for rainy days.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Great news this. The small profit is not an issue really, as most of the member clubs have had a share of it before the accounts were closed and would have been taxable after.

Slightly off topic, but related. I looked the the RFL's accounts in the annual report for last year - can anyone tell me where I can see in detail the revenues and possible profit figures for the Super League Grand Final and the Challenge Cup Final? It would be interesting to see these, especially considering that there wasn't an international test series in the period in the last annual report.

Edited by thecoffeeman

I think it all depends on whether you want to live year-by-year or put stuff away in a rainy-day pot. The RFU seems to like large profits to keep up their reserves, allowing them to do large-scale capital projects, and also try to give roughly the same out every year, the RFL seems to like doing it on a year-by-year basis.

I personally would prefer a lower increase to the clubs and more away in reserves as I think sport funding, especially through Sport England, will get hammered after the Olympics in 2012. If you get the amateur game used to a level of funding then reduce it sharply to meet a poorer general fund then you get a situation where the game could struggle.

Well done to the RFL for yet another good set of results, maybe it's time to think of the future though and start increasing that piggy-bank for rainy days.

Some good points, and I suppose the problem is that almost all of the revenue is guaranteed back to the clubs. Much of the revenue is the TV deals and Sport England grants which in effect is mainly directed straight to the clubs.

I would expect that the RFL gets money from limited sponsors and a few events (Grand Final and Challenge Cup) which would allow them to run the game.

Without a succesful International game, I struggle to see where they could boost their reserves. I would suspect that is where the Union money comes from in the main, through ticket sales and commercial activities. They have at least 6 or 7 full Twickenham events with major corporate activity to bring money in, which League does not have.

The international game is crucial for so many reasons.

Well there's

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

To be honest ckn, with the mindset of the current government I can see ALL sport funding, with the exception of prestige events like the Olympcs, being cut with fairly immediate effect. We need only look at what they have done to local councils where funding has been cut on projects which are already underway. If they can do this with council and school budgets I can't see any sport getting away with it for long.

Edited by Bulliac

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

:D On that point, don't fines go to the RFL Benevolant fund? I believe they do from disciplinaries, and it would be good if this kind of find did too.

Not sure Dave - if it goes to the Benevolent fund then great.

Maybe this money went to.............Actually no I'd better not!!! :lol:

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Is that right Dave??

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

As Labour not only spent all the money,but also spent vast amounts of money they didn't have,then yes,the Tories will have to reduce Sports expenditure.Rather like Clubs spending money they don't have and being forced into Administration - unfortunately the U.K. can't go into Administration to clear the debts.Thanks Labour.

As Labour not only spent all the money,but also spent vast amounts of money they didn't have,then yes,the Tories will have to reduce Sports expenditure.Rather like Clubs spending money they don't have and being forced into Administration - unfortunately the U.K. can't go into Administration to clear the debts.Thanks Labour.

Pathetic.

I would go further but this is an RL forum not somewhere to stick rightwing loony arguments, please stick to the thread.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

What is the point of making a large profit today if it means you are going to limit your future earnings? Same what's the point in giving some of your hard earned money to the government in tax when it could be better re-invested back into ones business?

The RFL's stance is a smart move. They have recorded a profit for the 8th successive year which will give confidence to partners of the sport, whilst insuring that money is put back into to grow the code.

The sport needs more players, more supporters, and it needs strong member clubs, so where the RFL is redirecting money all positive.

Honestly I think some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining. League in the UK is in a good position, sure it can be better, but hey as we all know, it could be a lot lot lot worse....

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I think the game has some pretty big problems.

Until more teams are competitive to the point where they challenge to be the best team in SL on a regular basis its a limited league with only half the teams with a chance and recently only a couple that ever win anything of consequence.

The Crowds are not really growing and the local players that are top notch world class would not make up one squad of 17.

Many of the sponsors are local and poor in all honesty and not anywhere close to National companies that relate to National exposure

If the TV deal is downgraded its curtains for half the Clubs.

Sorry to be negative but the game is at the crossroads.

The franchise points system was pretty pathetic and nearly half the Clubs need a new ground with little happening other than PR ######.

Several Clubs have a population base that ensures they can never be a big Club or be competitive over a number of years.

Edited by AndyCapp

I take it you mean that many of the club sponsors are local, because at the RFL level, outside of Carnegie and Frontline, the rest of the companies are at least national organisations, or part of a multi-national setup.

Here is the current RFL Sponsors just to show:

- William Hill (National)

- Proctor & Gamble (Multinational)

- IHG (Multinational)

- BSkyB (National)

- Engage (National)

- The Co-Operative (National)

- Carnegie (Regional)

- Frontline (Regional)

- Serco-NedRailways (Multinational)

- Puma (Multinational)

- IrnBru (Multinational)

- Peters (National)

- Dewalt (Multinational)

- Valvoline (Multinational)

- Polar (Multinational)

- Steeden (Multinational)

- 2XU (Multinational)

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com