The TV Thread

I just saw a prog about Stradivarius. It may have been about violins, I'm not sure. I spent the whole half hour gawping at Clemency Burton-Hill. Even if she does sound like the heroime of John Betjeman poem.

There's a short piece in the Times today about the new head of the BBC sying that something must be done to stop actors mumblig their lines in TV dramas. I'm with him on this; it's very obvious on imported American shows and films but British series aren't immune.

I watch most things on playback but, where an actor's line is a single word of dialogue, I sometimes, even after several rewinds,  struggle to decipher what he/she said.

My hearing is not brilliant, but several of my friends experience the same problem.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I got the winner of The Apprentice wrong again.

Never mind; so did Alan Sugar.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

8 out of 10 cats does countdown.  Better than the 2 shows it's mixed from by far!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

There's a short piece in the Times today about the new head of the BBC sying that something must be done to stop actors mumblig their lines in TV dramas. I'm with him on this; it's very obvious on imported American shows and films but British series aren't immune.

I watch most things on playback but, where an actor's line is a single word of dialogue, I sometimes, even after several rewinds, struggle to decipher what he/she said.

My hearing is not brilliant, but several of my friends experience the same problem.

My hearing is fine, and I suffer from this seemingly more and more. It's not volume related, it's mumble related. Many a time I've rewound and bunged the sub titles on and I still can't link the mumbles to the words even when I know why they're supposed to be saying.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

My hearing is fine, and I suffer from this seemingly more and more. It's not volume related, it's mumble related. Many a time I've rewound and bunged the sub titles on and I still can't link the mumbles to the words even when I know why they're supposed to be saying.

I have problems with my hearing

And I keep thinking its me

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

The white queen is unintentionally hilarious

Is that still on? After a promising first episode I soon lost interest.

I think it could have been good if it were some sort of fantasy show in a Game of Thrones. But being supposedly a historically accurate drama it just looks silly.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The white queen is unintentionally hilarious

I'm still watching but quite bored, there are some factual details in there but the rest is simply fiction. I also watched the "real white queen" on BBC 2 and that was worse, factual programme with Phillipa Gregory making up stuff to make her books look better.

Margaret Beaufort killed the princes in the tower  according to her, no evidence at all to support her theory but hey!

Edited by Red Willow

I'm still watching but quite bored, there are some factual details in there but the rest is simply fiction. I also watched the "real white queen" on BBC 2 and that was worse, factual programme with Phillipa Gregory making up stuff to make her books look better.

Margaret Beaufort killed the princes in the tower  according to her, no evidence at all to support her theory but hey!

I notice the script-writers of the drama fudged that a bit, so you didn't really know if it was Margaret Stanley or Queen Anne wot did it. It is very funny, unintentionally: the overacting is wild, and the dialogue very much of the 'As you know, your father, the King ...' variety. 

8 out of 10 cats does countdown.  Better than the 2 shows it's mixed from by far!

Been to see a couple of these specials being recorded - Sean Lock is fantastic value during them - as is Jimmy Carr who comes across as quite a nice bloke in real life.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I notice the script-writers of the drama fudged that a bit, so you didn't really know if it was Margaret Stanley or Queen Anne wot did it. It is very funny, unintentionally: the overacting is wild, and the dialogue very much of the 'As you know, your father, the King ...' variety.

I keep expecting someone to look at a watch or pull out a mobile phone

And as you say the dialogue is incredibly clunky

I love the white queens nails immaculately manicured and varnished

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

"Yondah lies da Castle of my Fadder!" :D 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What really gets me is how cheap the whole thing is. The scene where Richard III had an investiture, handing out offices to Rory Pond various nobles, had precisely six people in it. There would have been dozens attending in reality. (And everybody gets to be on their own with another character all the time ... not a thing that happened much in 1484, especially at court). Oh, and the witchcraft ... don't get me started on the witchcraft ...

Oh, I've got no problem with people then believing it. It's the Rivers family practising it successfully that grates a bit ... calling a rainstorm down on Rory Buckingham and Henry Tudor it was, last night.