The TV Thread

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

I started it ages ago but finally finished watching The Good Place on Netflix last night.

Really enjoyed it throughout all four series.

Funny, inventive and thought provoking too, especially the final episode.

"Oh fork off you son of a bench! It was shirt!" 😉

Actually it was very good 😀

• Haha 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Watching a repeat of the chase and the question is, "In 2010, Neil Robertson became the first player from which country to win the world snooker championship?" This is incorrect, the first World champion from Australia was Horace Lindrum in 1952, I'm a big snooker fan, I know this for a fact, it's so annoying when questions are just blatantly wrong on quiz shows, how hard is it for the people setting the questions to just do a quick google search to check the facts?! 

Assuming you haven't paraphrased - and you clearly know enough not to - then the question was probably written as "of the Crucible era" or "modern World Champion" but fiddled with by an editor who didn't actually know the difference.

I can't now find the original story but I do remember reading about how an episode of University Challenge had to be refilmed because on the last and deciding question they accepted "Dundee" as the answer when it was "Dundee United".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Assuming you haven't paraphrased - and you clearly know enough not to - then the question was probably written as "of the Crucible era" or "modern World Champion" but fiddled with by an editor who didn't actually know the difference.

I can't now find the original story but I do remember reading about how an episode of University Challenge had to be refilmed because on the last and deciding question they accepted "Dundee" as the answer when it was "Dundee United".

That's what I presumed and the crucible era or modern era bit was excluded from the final question.

I will say Horace Lindrum's win does sometimes get overlooked because it was in the year when there was a lot of infighting in snooker and a rival organisation started a breakaway world championship which ran for about seven years I think it was while the original stopped during that time but in 1952 both championships were played and so there are two winners for that year but I can assure you both are acknowledged and both names appear on the trophy which is played for today. 

Funnily enough for a rugby league forum, the dispute in snooker was over prize money. The original organisation wanted to emphasise the honour of winning the championship while the rival organisation wanted to emphasise prize money and ensure the players won a sizeable amount for their achievements. Almost all the players went over to the rival organisation while only Horace Lindrum and New Zealander Clark McConachy were left in the original championship which meant only 1 match decided that one, though they did play it over something like 180 frames, imagine that these days! The match lasted for about 2 weeks. 

As I say though, Lindrum's win is acknowledged by those within the sport and those who follow it, just not by someone at the chase it seems. 

• Thanks 1

Today I had just watched Billy Elliott on Foxtel and it always brings back strong memories of the miners strike when my Father was on strike for the whole duration and ‘Coal was King’.

When the program finished I clicked on UK SKY news and it showed a presenter in front of a diagram about 6 feet wide that showed what each sector contributed to the UK economy.  He pointed to the far end where sectors produced less than 1% and said ‘At the far end is the Coal sector’ ........

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

Of course no one on here would lower themselves enough to have watched the Christmas Day edition of Mrs Brown's Boys, so I did on your behalf (don't judge me). 

All I'll say is it provided a most unexpected name-check for the Super League champions, St Helens, and not in a disparaging way either.

Bet you'll all be downloading it off iPlayer now... 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Of course no one on here would lower themselves enough to have watched the Christmas Day edition of Mrs Brown's Boys, so I did on your behalf (don't judge me). 

All I'll say is it provided a most unexpected name-check for the Super League champions, St Helens, and not in a disparaging way either.

Bet you'll all be downloading it off iPlayer now... 😄

I'd rather deep fry my cats doo doo and eat it on a skewer than watch Mrs Brown's Boys. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'd rather deep fry my cats doo doo and eat it on a skewer than watch Mrs Brown's Boys. 

someone once told me i had to watch it cos it was just like father ted!!!!!!!!!!!! apart from someone saying feck its nothing like it 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That actually offends me to my very soul because I absolutely love Father Ted! 

so do i - never dates either- funnily enough our son looks like pat mustard!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Goes without saying that I enjoyed the Doctor Who special on New Year's Day.

But I'll say it anyway...

I enjoyed the Doctor Who special on New Year's Day. 😃

decided to download it and give it a chance - am about half hour in and......... boring, dull and predictable so far, daleks daleks daleks yet again - could be an old episode if i didnt know better as they are blandly blending in to one 

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

decided to download it and give it a chance - am about half hour in and......... boring, dull and predictable so far, daleks daleks daleks yet again - could be an old episode if i didnt know better as they are blandly blending in to one 

If you don't like it, that's fine.

It isn't compulsory.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

If you don't like it, that's fine.

It isn't compulsory.

just got to the end - thought bradley walsh was gonna say to the lad "if you win some money today, what you gonna spend it on?" and the lad could have said "some stabilisers"

Had to leave the wife in the front room and join the lad watching the footy in the back , the wife decided to watch Casualty , which after 20 odd years I find truly depressing , now they've added covid 😷 so it was leave or get the big box or paracetamol and the 2 litre bottle of Vodka out ☠️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Had to leave the wife in the front room and join the lad watching the footy in the back , the wife decided to watch Casualty , which after 20 odd years I find truly depressing , now they've added covid 😷 so it was leave or get the big box or paracetamol and the 2 litre bottle of Vodka out ☠️

its amazing what the female of the species will watch on tv 

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

its amazing what the female of the species will watch on tv 

Is this after you were complaining about Dr Who after watching about 10 minutes and then proceeded to finish it?

If you don't like a TV show, it's ok. They're not all meant for you.

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It’s a must watch programme for Mrs Moose, as you say last nights episode was truly depressing. We get all the necessary virus information from the various News programmes without the need for the BBC to use it as an excuse for an ‘entertainment’ programme.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

New game show Lingo is really enjoyable, a simple concept but hard to get right and is very playable at home. 

5 attempts to try guess the 4 and 5 letter words against the clock by spelling the word after being given the first letter.

What channel?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ian Hislop on Fake News, just starting on BBC4.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/01/2021 at 18:43, hindle xiii said:

ITV, 3pm to 4pm. For some reason the prize money taken home by the winning pair was half what they accumulated in the rounds and it was only around £1,500.

4 days in and I am absolutely loving this show.

Last night I was watching the Crime Channel on Sky.

It was a programme called " Killer in my village" Both my wife and I shouted together " There's Sam !"

There was a screen scene of a lad walking his dog. It was our Grandson Sam and his dog Willow.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow