Jump to content

The TV Thread


Recommended Posts


There are also people who aren't stupid or ignorant, but who just panic under the studio lights and their minds go blank. They're not nearly as entertaining, though.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Good point. Though I do wonder, who has told these people they are intelligent enough to go on a quiz show? Or how egotistical are they that they think they are intelligent enough?? 

Friend who works in TV tells me that some of them are producers' friends and/or jobbing actors - especially for the daytime ones with hundreds of episodes being filmed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There are also people who aren't stupid or ignorant, but who just panic under the studio lights and their minds go blank. They're not nearly as entertaining, though.

In fairness I bet this is very very easily done , sometimes to the effect that name and where you’re from are tough 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

In fairness I bet this is very very easily done , sometimes to the effect that name and where you’re from are tough 

I've never been on a TV show but I once asked at passport control (re-entering the UK) where I'd just been on holiday. It was literally the easiest question I could have been asked at that point - and I simply could not answer it. I ended up saying the name of the airport we'd just flown from but even that took a while to get to the front of my brain.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I’m way behind on this one… I’ve just started watching the series Hannibal. If you aren’t bothered by -really- disturbing images and sequences, it’s brilliant!

i never thought Mikkeson would live up to Hopkins’ portrayal in Silence of the Lambs, and while I wouldn’t say he’s better… I don’t think I’d say he’s worse either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of morons, just watching the local news and they are talking about a turtle sanctuary in Lincolnshire. The reporter has clearly grabbed the first bloke he's found to talk to and the clip they have of said individual is just him going, "they remind me of the olden days, like with dinosaurs and all that!" 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 15:14, gingerjon said:

The wind changed direction

it wants to change direction for her arms - they are like condoms full of porridge, at least put a long sleeve top on 

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it wants to change direction for her arms - they are like condoms full of porridge, at least put a long sleeve top on 

Wind change might be good for the bathers in Hastings, as we had a triple sewage spill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an old show whose name just popped out of the memory banks.

 

  • Like 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Stop Making Sense, the 1984 Talking Heads concert film, is on Amazon Prime and it's brilliant 

Great stuff. I have the DVD and the album. If you haven't seen it, here's an excerpt.

 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2021 at 23:48, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Stop Making Sense, the 1984 Talking Heads concert film, is on Amazon Prime and it's brilliant 

Love the start of that concert when David Byrne comes out alone with a cassette player , switches it on for a bit of background music , and does an acoustic version of psycho killer........if thats the same concert .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Love the start of that concert when David Byrne comes out alone with a cassette player , switches it on for a bit of background music , and does an acoustic version of psycho killer........if thats the same concert .

That's the one

2014 Challenged Cup Winner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

'It's always sunny in Philidelphia' 

I'm 16 years behind the curve on this and it has run for 14 seasons... apologies if I am embarrassingly late and everyone has seen it! 

A bit like Friends meets American Pie... It's juvenile but very funny...also as I am only on series 2 its great to see people smoking in bars, no smart phones and talking about reading newspapers  And has Danny De Vito! 

https://m.imdb.com › title
Web results
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (TV Series 2005– ) - IMDb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

'It's always sunny in Philidelphia' 

I'm 16 years behind the curve on this and it has run for 14 seasons... apologies if I am embarrassingly late and everyone has seen it! 

A bit like Friends meets American Pie... It's juvenile but very funny...also as I am only on series 2 its great to see people smoking in bars, no smart phones and talking about reading newspapers  And has Danny De Vito! 

https://m.imdb.com › title
Web results
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (TV Series 2005– ) - IMDb

What's a newspaper? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What's a newspaper? 🤔

It's a thing that tells old people what to think.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Like all those morning TV shows that assure you that if you walk out of your front door you will be scammed out of all your life savings and then stabbed by a yoof? 

Same audience, same message.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just channel surfing and came across 'Colonel March of Scotland Yard' (1953) on Talking Pictures TV, starring Boris Karloff. It had the strap line  "Colonel March of The Department of Queer Complaints investigates unusual cases". 

It wasn't what I thought ...

  • Like 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...