The TV Thread

never laughed once at eddie izzard, in fact there is a glut of so called "comedians" who just ramble on about sheeeeite , john bishop been the worst offender.

never laughed once at eddie izzard, in fact there is a glut of so called "comedians" who just ramble on about sheeeeite , john bishop been the worst offender.

I agree.

A danger sign is when a reviewer calls their shtick 'surreal musings' and such: Ross Noble springs to mind.

Give me Al Read, Les Dawson, Tommy Cooper, Arthur Haynes and dave Spikey any day

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I agree.

A danger sign is when a reviewer calls their shtick 'surreal musings' and such: Ross Noble springs to mind.

Give me Al Read, Les Dawson, Tommy Cooper, Arthur Haynes and dave Spikey any day

Without taking this thread off topic, and separately that I like Noble, I saw Spikey once at St George's Hall. Front and centre.

Awkward to say the least. Worst stand up gig I've been to!

Without taking this thread off topic, and separately that I like Noble, I saw Spikey once at St George's Hall. Front and centre.

it happens

currently enjoying Gillian Anderson in 'The Fall'

Keeping it local

Second (or another) series on the way I believe.

Second (or another) series on the way I believe.

good

on another tv topic: her in the wheelchair in Corrie who Tina has had the baby for is getting on my wick at the minute. Also I wish somebody would expose carl for the murdering get that he is, and that Tracey finally gets her comeuppance: I think she's met her match with Carla.

Keeping it local

spikey has made it off the back of pheonix nights and peter kays writing, im sure hes a nice enough chap but not that funny on his own, the new serieses of bullseye were cringworthy disaster due to picking the wrong host in mr spikey, he even looks awkward on countdown but that could be down to been 10 foot away from rachel riley in one of those dresses!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

New series Frankie is excellent.

New series Frankie is complete rubbish.

Cardboard cutout characters that are entirely without redeeming features, unrealistic and unbelievable plot lines and totally inaccurate portrayal of District Nursing.

Apart from that.....

New series Frankie is complete rubbish.

Cardboard cutout characters that are entirely without redeeming features, unrealistic and unbelievable plot lines and totally inaccurate portrayal of District Nursing.

Apart from that.....

Well I find it entertaining; an hour or so of light drama.

If you want a hard hitting documentary about the workings of District Nursing BBC Four is this way -->

:tongue: 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Is that what you say to Mrs...

No, no. I won't, I'll refrain!

;)

"What to say after sex? "Thank you," seems like too much. "I'm sorry," too little."

- Simon Munnery, League Against Tedium

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well I find it entertaining; an hour or so of light drama.

If you want a hard hitting documentary about the workings of District Nursing BBC Four is this way -->

:tongue:

If I want a hard hitting District Nurse I'll talk to Mrs Shadow :biggrin:

She watches Frankie and complains all the way through it.

Still watches it though. :rolleyes:

I occasionally get asked to preview pilot TV shows through my membership of YouGov.  Today, I previewed one, that I can't say too much about due to the confidentiality terms, and it was shockingly bad.  It was meant to be a light-hearted family drama series; the main characters were so narcissistic and sociopathic that they were utterly unlikeable despite blunt and obvious editorial inserts to make them less obnoxious, the script was so poorly written that it was painful and the pacing was all over the place.  An example was one of the narcissists refused to stop being 100% narcissistic even when there was a death to mourn, most successful narcissists can at least pretend to be empathetic at times but this character just wouldn't step outside of the box; what's worse, they gave him a wife and kids where the wife didn't know about the narcissism despite being fairly normal herself.  The actors did try their best and acted their ###### parts very well but you just can't polish a ######.  If that's the standard of things that are getting put out to limited public pilot then I'm not really looking forward to this summer's new TV shows.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

spikey has made it off the back of pheonix nights and peter kays writing, im sure hes a nice enough chap but not that funny on his own, the new serieses of bullseye were cringworthy disaster due to picking the wrong host in mr spikey, he even looks awkward on countdown but that could be down to been 10 foot away from rachel riley in one of those dresses!

I think you'll find that kay made it off the back  of Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice's writing.

Keeping it local

I occasionally get asked to preview pilot TV shows through my membership of YouGov.  Today, I previewed one, that I can't say too much about due to the confidentiality terms, and it was shockingly bad.  It was meant to be a light-hearted family drama series; the main characters were so narcissistic and sociopathic that they were utterly unlikeable despite blunt and obvious editorial inserts to make them less obnoxious, the script was so poorly written that it was painful and the pacing was all over the place.  An example was one of the narcissists refused to stop being 100% narcissistic even when there was a death to mourn, most successful narcissists can at least pretend to be empathetic at times but this character just wouldn't step outside of the box; what's worse, they gave him a wife and kids where the wife didn't know about the narcissism despite being fairly normal herself.  The actors did try their best and acted their ###### parts very well but you just can't polish a ######.  If that's the standard of things that are getting put out to limited public pilot then I'm not really looking forward to this summer's new TV shows.

What have you previewed that made it and we may have heard of?

What have you previewed that made it and we may have heard of?

I've not done that many as it's rare I have the time to commit 45 minutes to watching a random show I may absolutely hate.  I did review one earlier this year that I thought had promise but I've yet to see it come out.  Most seem to be very bland, boring, "me too" dramas that are just rip offs of successful shows and thankfully I've not seen any commissioned.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

If I want a hard hitting District Nurse I'll talk to Mrs Shadow :biggrin:

She watches Frankie and complains all the way through it.

Still watches it though. :rolleyes:

Same in the griff9of13 household when it comes to school based dramas - Waterloo Road providing plenty of opportunity. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Think it started around then - although there is such a massive turnover of cast that it's unsurprising it's unrecognisable from what it once was. When it started it was more of a straight-ish drama. Nowadays it's more of a long running serial - ie a soap without being a soap, much like Casualty/The Bill, both of which similarly evolved over time.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Scanning through the channels the other night I notice that someone (CBS Drama?) are showing re runs of this. The thing is it seems to be from about 2005 and I don't recall it being on tv then. (could be wrong) nor do I know the characters. I only caught 5 minutes so hardly through research, but it strikes me as odd. Like a pilot series or something.

According to wiki it started in 2006 (on a series recorded in 2005). First series significantly shorter than the rest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

According to wiki it started in 2006 (on a series recorded in 2005). First series significantly shorter than the rest.

It was a straight drama back then, filmed on the mean streets of Rochdale.  Loved how the school transferred to Scotland...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!