Football

There was a noticeable gulf in ability. One reasonable team, one poor.

Yes, it has been a while Scotland were any good, but it was still an enjoyable dust-up.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scotland v England. A game of pace, a fair bit of skill and, most significantly, almost no tarty histrionics when a firm tackle is made. And there were plenty of those.

I also got the sense that both teams were really enjoying it. The enthusiasm from both sides was great to see.

I enjoyed it and will always prefer to watch a game like that over ticcy-tacca football. England's 3rd goal was very skillfully produced too.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

The Scots used to be the one's with more ability.

It's a very long time since Scotland produced even one good player. A very long time.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Mike Dennes was an 'English' man wasn't he?

Colin Cowdrey born in India

ted Dexter born in Italy

Tony Greig South Africa

Steve Hampson born Cyprus

John Barnes born West Indies

Dave Barends South African

Dally Messenger played for New Zealand

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

It seems like far more trouble than it's worth tbh. 

he and dave Whelan seem made for each other

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/20/wigan-dave-whelan-accused-antisemitism-jewish-people

Keeping it local

Now that anti-Semitism normally means not being passionate enough in campaigning for Jewish ethnic superiority or not hating Muslims, it seems bizarre to find something anti-Semitic in the old fashioned sense.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping it local

Mario Balotelli - overreaction much?

Edit- just noticed this is a slightly different version to the one I have seen before (no mention of Jews or blacks) so maybe it was a bit out of order.

I heard he'd said that Super Mario (he of Nintendo fame) jumped like a black man and chased coins like a Jew.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

I heard he'd said that Super Mario (he of Nintendo fame) jumped like a black man and chased coins like a Jew.

That is apparently what he said.

Given that he is mad as a box of frogs I'll treat it with the same seriousness I take the loon on the train howling that the ghosts are chasing him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

That is apparently what he said.

Given that he is mad as a box of frogs I'll treat it with the same seriousness I take the loon on the train howling that the ghosts are chasing him.

Agreed.

I'm less concerned about the "Jump like a black man" comment as that's become something of a common cultural reference since that hilarious basketball based film with the spod from Cheers, but again I am surprised just how deep the stereotype regarding Jewish people and money is ingrained in all sorts of  peoples' consciousness.  

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Newcastle v Chelsea - Bob Dylan's hats (On Baker & Kelly's VSPO) predicted the result and the final score! Mourinho's lot never stood a chance...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quite "enjoying" football at the moment.

Hull Targers in free fall and Chelski away up next, ideal opportunity for Mourinho's lot to get well and truly back in the saddle.

Rather looking forward to it.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Newcastle v Chelsea - Bob Dylan's hats (On Baker & Kelly's VSPO) predicted the result and the final score! Mourinho's lot never stood a chance...

He blamed the ball boys

Keeping it local

He blamed the ball boys

He did indeed - although not at first.  And now all the papers are reporting that rather than concentrating on how Newcastle beat a supposedly unbeatable side.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Are they a 'sports' club like a fair number of European clubs?  There was a Steua RU team when Romania went through the phase of being good enough to occasionally worry Wales in the 80s,