Football

This was written as a sketch, but is probably approaching reality...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is the Premier League a charity then? No? Imagine he outcry if it tried to register as one.

As part of the current TV contract, the Premier League says it has invested £56m in grassroots football in each of the last three seasons.  Our whole game isn't worth that!

In any case, maybe the "prominent politicians " that no-one has ever heard of could ensure that at east some of the £100,000 a week Wayne Rooney pay in income tax could be invested in the grass roots.

in fact even if just 20% of Man U's salary bill went to HMRC, that would yield around £20 million a year in income tax. Looks like on the whole, the Premier League salary bill could yield about £300 million a year for the taxman.

Edited by JohnM

The media show on Radio 4 reckons Sky had to bid so high to secure soccer because without soccer it has no USP.  The increase according to the Media Show will come from Sky's drama output and yes other sports.  Not looking too bright for RL in that case.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Glad to see Chris Ramsey given a crack at the QPR job.  Good coach and a good manager, as he proved by winning the A-League (the name for the US second tier at the time) in 2003 with Charleston Battery.  Problem is, like Nigel Adkins, if it didn't happen in the "public eye", it didn't happen and he had to come back here to do what he did before; youth coaching.

Except that the game is sold out. And for some weird reason is apparently a bigger crowd than the game when they beat Arsenal in the League Cup (or whatever it's bloody called today) which was also sold out. Never had this problem when Ces Podd was playing, except maybe the FA Cup 1/4 final against Southampton, which City lost 1-0 but my brother and his girlfriend at the time took me for Fish & Chips after the game -and she had a car!!

My point was that it won't impact the Bulls much because there's not much scope for casual City fans to turn up as all tickets will have gone via regulars - and as it's not on the TV there's no excuse for Bulls fans not to jolly over to Leigh.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Blimey, City beating Sunderland 2-0 with about 10 minutes to go....wow.

Bizarre it's not on TV but the radio giving the impression that City are all over them and well deserving of the lead.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Are they a 'sports' club like a fair number of European clubs?  There was a Steua RU team when Romania went through the phase of being good enough to occasionally worry Wales in the 80s,

The soccer club was split off from the rest of the club. The rest of the club is multi sports and is till alive and kicking. They have sports ranging from athletics to handball, ice hockey, RU, etc....

It used to be the army's sports club back in the day, and AFAIK it's still embedded into the ministry of defense's structures, and they have/had a big rivalry with Dinamo, which used to be the police's sports club.

The soccer club came up with this beauty as a replacement:

emblema-stelei-este-istorie-conducerea-a

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Less than 10 mins gone and Bradford looking like they're out already.

2 zip Reading.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Not really. He said sorry after stamping on someone - but not to the player he stamped on.