Football

8 minutes ago, Moose said:

Jim jams and slippers it is then😏

Trust me, if some metric somewhere showed that players in jim jams and slippers picked up fewer injuries and ran a smidge quicker than you’d see players in jim jams and slippers on the field

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 18/11/2020 at 01:00, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I was there on that great day.

However I've never seen the Leicester goals since. Even though I know we win this Wembley classic, I still can't bring myself to watch them again as it was so gutting watching them the first time. I just forward past those nightmare 11mins onto the greatest penalty ever. 😀

yes a day of highs (briefly for me) and lows.... 

With the benefit of passing years and later success I could not begrudge Swindon and Glen that day now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Maradona wasted his talent. 

Maradona is the greatest footballer ever. 

I believe both the above statements are true. 

I don't think you can say he wasted his talent. This isn't George Best drinking it away. He dragged Argentina to two World Cup finals, one of which they won, titles and trophies at Napoli, 22 goals in 36 appearances at Barca, and a good old time in Argentinian football before then. You might regret that he wasn't much after the age of 30 but I'm not sure he was ever going to be the kind of player to have a graceful swansong before a respectable retirement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 19/11/2020 at 16:45, gingerjon said:

Trust me, if some metric somewhere showed that players in jim jams and slippers picked up fewer injuries and ran a smidge quicker than you’d see players in jim jams and slippers on the field

The next best thing to make them comfortable, is to get their agents play for them.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

He dragged Argentina to two World Cup finals, one of which they won, titles and trophies at Napoli, 22 goals in 36 appearances at Barca, and a good old time in Argentinian football before then.

Yes but he could have been more. He had the talent. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Yes but he could have been more. He had the talent. 

I think if he’d played for longevity he would never have achieved what he did.

But that’s an unknowable.

On 19/11/2020 at 14:36, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah sorry, got the wrong end of the stick there.

I think you always speak well about Liverpool and are very fair.

The pub I frequented was used by West Yorkshire Everton fans for meetings and drinking. So I preferred them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Yesterday was a great day! 😀

@Bob8 😉

As long as it was a fair match, then at the end of the day I think that sport is the real loser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Watching FA Cup on BBC, & the commentator suggested the winners would get a good home draw against Man Utd, or Arsenal. In a normal season I might agree, but in a closed door 3rd  round, it won't matter if you draw Marine away, or Aston Villa at home, gate money will be the same. £Zero

16 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Watching FA Cup on BBC, & the commentator suggested the winners would get a good home draw against Man Utd, or Arsenal. In a normal season I might agree, but in a closed door 3rd  round, it won't matter if you draw Marine away, or Aston Villa at home, gate money will be the same. £Zero

You want to be drawn away at a reasonably sized team located in a tier two area. Split gate receipts (of 4,000 fans paying Premier League prices) plus TV fee plus loser's prize money.

BBC should get Robbie Savage doing the draw regularly,  some real eye catching ties.  Marine vs Spurs , hope that's on tv.

Draw in full

Huddersfield Town v Plymouth Argyle

Southampton v Shrewsbury Town

Chorley v Derby County

Marine v Tottenham Hotspur

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Crystal Palace

Stockport County v West Ham United

Oldham Athletic v Bournemouth

Manchester United v Watford

Stevenage v Swansea

Everton v Rotherham

Nottingham Forest v Cardiff

Arsenal v Newcastle

Barnsley v Tranmere Rovers

Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United

Canvey Island/Boreham Wood v Millwall

Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster

Stoke City v Leicester

Wycombe v Preston

Crawley v Leeds

Burnley v MK Dons

Bristol City v Portsmouth

QPR v Fulham

Aston Villa v Liverpool

Brentford v Middlesbrough

Manchester City v Birmingham

Luton v Reading

Chelsea v Morecambe

Exeter v Sheffield Wednesday

Norwich v Coventry

Blackpool v West Brom

Newport County v Brighton

Cheltenham v Mansfield

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2020 at 20:58, HawkMan said:

BBC should get Robbie Savage doing the draw regularly,  some real eye catching ties.  Marine vs Spurs , hope that's on tv.

Draw Comments

Chorley v Derby County

Marine v Tottenham Hotspur

Manchester United v Watford

Arsenal v Newcastle

Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United

Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster

Stoke City v Leicester

Bristol City v Portsmouth

QPR v Fulham

Aston Villa v Liverpool

Chelsea v Morecambe

Norwich v Coventry

Chorley will be pleased to get this far, Could be a difficult day.

Marine would be over the moon to draw Spurs.

Didn't Watford beat Man Utd at Wembley? or last season?

Newcastle @ Arsenal, a good old fashioned, thumping cup tie.

QPR v Fulham. Are they not the closest two grounds in England? (Apart from Coventry City & Birmingham

Liverpool will revenge that 7-2 defeat. After all, if Villa can get beat in the Cup, in 2019 by Burton Albion.......? 

Brizzle v Portsmouth, always had a distaste for each other, can't imagine why Sailors. Both Brizzle teams at Home on the same day? They may be in Zone 3 by January.

I think Chelsea might have fancied a weekend away in Morecambe rather than Monaco.