Football

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

31 of those places, most following Swindon Town 

Actual home grounds of them: 12

Seen in matches: 22

You're quite a committed fellow, aren't you?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Only four of them for me, including the future rugby league hotbeds of Portsmouth and Plymouth.

Portsmouth was an incredible experience. Just a routine midweek game but the crowd was so loud that it’s the only game where I’ve not been able to hear the referee’s whistle at any point.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Portsmouth was an incredible experience. Just a routine midweek game but the crowd was so loud that it’s the only game where I’ve not been able to hear the referee’s whistle at any point.

Led by the bloke with the big hat and the bell ?

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Fratton Park, Upton Park and St James' Park (Newcastle not Exeter) are easily the loudest grounds I've watched Swindon at. 

Of course the common denominator is that The Mighty Swindon Town were playing there. 😉

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 14/11/2020 at 09:47, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Fratton Park, Upton Park and St James' Park (Newcastle not Exeter) are easily the loudest grounds I've watched Swindon at. 

Of course the common denominator is that The Mighty Swindon Town were playing there. 😉

They actually played for a change?

great to see old footage of ray clemence making saves on tv WITHOUT GLOVES! not sure when gloves became the norm? it would be unthinkable these days to see modern prima donnas making saves without their palm cushions 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

great to see old footage of ray clemence making saves on tv WITHOUT GLOVES! not sure when gloves became the norm? it would be unthinkable these days to see modern prima donnas making saves without their palm cushions 

Don’t get me started on gloves in football ! Wasn’t there a Manchester Derby where there was about 18 players wearing gloves . And short sleeves and gloves ... my old dad played good standard football and used to say ‘ what’s that about , run around you won’t be cold ‘

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Don’t get me started on gloves in football ! Wasn’t there a Manchester Derby where there was about 18 players wearing gloves . And short sleeves and gloves ... my old dad played good standard football and used to say ‘ what’s that about , run around you won’t be cold ‘

Comfortable players play better and pick up fewer injuries. It's not some kind of bizarre endurance contest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/11/2020 at 09:47, Wiltshire Rhino said:

course the common denominator is that The Mighty Swindon Town were playing there. 😉

Swindon were definitely loud and mighty when beating Leicester City 4-3 at Wembley in the nineties. 

2 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Swindon were definitely loud and mighty when beating Leicester City 4-3 at Wembley in the nineties. 

I was there on that great day.

However I've never seen the Leicester goals since. Even though I know we win this Wembley classic, I still can't bring myself to watch them again as it was so gutting watching them the first time. I just forward past those nightmare 11mins onto the greatest penalty ever. 😀

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

17 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Eh?

I know Liverpool have got a lot of injuries right now, but I don’t see the glove wearing connection to it?

I think Herr Klopp might want to start padding his players up like medieval pikemen, given there is a Liverpool's History as Pikeys, because of the River (Sorry, forgot that), that could be appropriate. The next thing they will be asking is to reduce the Premier League to 16 teams, them 12, and calling themselves a Superleague

28 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think Herr Klopp might want to start padding his players up like medieval pikemen, given there is a Liverpool's History as Pikeys, because of the River (Sorry, forgot that), that could be appropriate. The next thing they will be asking is to reduce the Premier League to 16 teams, them 12, and calling themselves a Superleague

Sorry mate, have you got a problem with Liverpool?

21 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry mate, have you got a problem with Liverpool?

No, not at all. I have no problem at all with Liverpool, especially as my Paternal Grandfather was born there.

And besides, Pike men were very important people, manipulating traffic on our waterways, without them the Manchester Ship Canal & Salford Docks, might not have thrived without them.

& The Bridgewater Canal

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

No, not at all. I have no problem at all with Liverpool, especially as my Paternal Grandfather was born there.

And besides, Pike men were very important people, manipulating traffic on our waterways, without them the Manchester Ship Canal & Salford Docks, might not have thrived without them.

& The Bridgewater Canal

Ah sorry, got the wrong end of the stick there.