Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

Alan Shearer putting a brave face on Newcastle's Cambridge disaster was priceless. Kidderminster through too, MOTD a must see tonight. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Classic FA Cup tie at the DW this afternoon, at 3pm, both sets of fans pretty much agreed in being non-fussed, promotions the priority, don't need any more of a fixture pile up etc etc.

89th minute - Blackburn equalise to make it 2-2, away end goes mental.

94th minute - Aasgaard scores a screamer to win it for Wigan, home end goes mental.

Who cares if there are now not enough free mid weeks between now and the end of the season to fit all the matches in.............!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Looking in on the telly it looks like Arsenal seem to have had the great idea of having a white top with white writing on 

its for a charity that deals with the crime drugs violence  and knife epidemic thats running out of control mainly in the london youth black community (no more red) the red symbolising  blood

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its for a charity that deals with the crime drugs violence  and knife epidemic thats running out of control mainly in the london youth black community (no more red) the red symbolising  blood

I just heard them say that . It certainly is striking 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

all this FA  cup magic every year is all very nice but it will be chelsea man city etc in the final again

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

Halifax Town have gone top of the National League (which i still keep calling the Conference). They have done really well this season. 

Just looking that division and it’s strange to see so many clubs that I still regard as ‘famous’ clubs no longer in the top 4 divisions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Just looking that division and it’s strange to see so many clubs that I still regard as ‘famous’ clubs no longer in the top 4 divisions. 

It's a very, very hard league to get out of once you fall into it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

all this FA  cup magic every year is all very nice but it will be chelsea man city etc in the final again

The FA Cup magic starts in the first weekend in August. By the time of the third round there are no genuinely small teams left. Even the minnows are full time by this stage.

Leicester are the current holders though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

all this FA  cup magic every year is all very nice but it will be chelsea man city etc in the final again

That would be good as there has never been. Chelsea v Man City final. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Oh dear Arsenal are out . I am , hang on,(sniffs onion) I'm in tears.

they wont be wearing their "unlucky" strip again

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

That would be good as there has never been. Chelsea v Man City final. 

if they dont meet each other earlier cant see much of an alternative

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really Really Really hope it doesn't happen, but Arsenal wearing kit to protest against violence,  and enraged Arsenal moron fan stabs someone,  would be ultimate irony.

Edited by HawkMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We, Tottenham won the Cup in 1962, and 1982, so a year ending in 2, got be our year this year, assuming after beating Brighton we draw Hartlepool,  Kidderminster and Boreham Wood in 5th round,  QF and SF.

 

 BTW why do Boreham Wood call themselves that when they play in Borehamwood. ( one word)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_Park_(Borehamwood)

Edited by HawkMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

We, Tottenham won the Cup in 1962, and 1982, so a year ending in 2, got be our year this year, assuming after beating Brighton we draw Hartlepool,  Kidderminster and Boreham Wood in 5th round,  QF and SF.

 

 BTW why do Boreham Wood call themselves that when they play in Borehamwood. ( one word)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_Park_(Borehamwood)

more chance of a year starting in 1 

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

BTW why do Boreham Wood call themselves that when they play in Borehamwood. ( one word)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_Park_(Borehamwood)

Boreham Wood is the older name for the area and still used sometimes.

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 08:01, Tommygilf said:

I don't doubt he has, I think what is correct is that he is the calibre of player Newcastle could be in for and pay well over the odds for.

They have signed Chris Wood I think, so hopefully In can breathe a sigh of relief!

20m was the fee, which seems over the odds. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Niels said:

They have signed Chris Wood I think, so hopefully In can breathe a sigh of relief!

20m was the fee, which seems over the odds. 

It does seem a tad high, though potentially quite shrewd too.

First and formost, he is a proven, capable Premier League Striker. He can also do a job in the Championship and is the calibre of player willing to accept Championship and good wages that Newcastle are likely to attract at the start of this window.

A major attractive element of this must be that it is a metaphorical "6 pointer" though. It strengthens Newcastle whilst fundamentally weakening one of their direct rivals in Burnley. His goals, or lack of them at Burnley, could be what keeps the Magpies up this season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It does seem a tad high, though potentially quite shrewd too.

First and formost, he is a proven, capable Premier League Striker. He can also do a job in the Championship and is the calibre of player willing to accept Championship and good wages that Newcastle are likely to attract at the start of this window.

A major attractive element of this must be that it is a metaphorical "6 pointer" though. It strengthens Newcastle whilst fundamentally weakening one of their direct rivals in Burnley. His goals, or lack of them at Burnley, could be what keeps the Magpies up this season.

I agree with your opinion here.

Will be interesting to see if/how Burnley respond in the transfer market this month to try and replace him.

You would think they would have someone in mind despite the more limited choice this window. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree with your opinion here.

Will be interesting to see if/how Burnley respond in the transfer market this month to try and replace him.

You would think they would have someone in mind despite the more limited choice this window. 

Absolutely, I'm usually of the view that you don't get rid of a player unless you have a replacement in mind. Cornet's signing in Summer could be a signal for where the "new Burnley" is going.

If they don't replace him, they will find it hard not to go down imo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, I'm usually of the view that you don't get rid of a player unless you have a replacement in mind. Cornet's signing in Summer could be a signal for where the "new Burnley" is going.

If they don't replace him, they will find it hard not to go down imo.

Cornet’s signing from Lyon was an interesting move for them and him.  He’s shown a real eye for goal too for a midfielder in the Premier League and adapted quickly (which I always think is the sign of a good player).

The Dwight McNeil situation is interesting too as he’s not really kicked on this year in the league (0 goals, 1 assist) and is on a relatively new and big contract to 2024.  

I would imagine the Clarets will get a lot less for him than hoped a couple of years ago in a fire-sale and obviously need those assists from him this year if they’re to stay up.

Edit: Should say wingback/midfielder/forward haha

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...