Football

Alan Shearer putting a brave face on Newcastle's Cambridge disaster was priceless. Kidderminster through too, MOTD a must see tonight. 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2

Classic FA Cup tie at the DW this afternoon, at 3pm, both sets of fans pretty much agreed in being non-fussed, promotions the priority, don't need any more of a fixture pile up etc etc.

89th minute - Blackburn equalise to make it 2-2, away end goes mental.

94th minute - Aasgaard scores a screamer to win it for Wigan, home end goes mental.

Who cares if there are now not enough free mid weeks between now and the end of the season to fit all the matches in.............!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Looking in on the telly it looks like Arsenal seem to have had the great idea of having a white top with white writing on 

its for a charity that deals with the crime drugs violence  and knife epidemic thats running out of control mainly in the london youth black community (no more red) the red symbolising  blood

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its for a charity that deals with the crime drugs violence  and knife epidemic thats running out of control mainly in the london youth black community (no more red) the red symbolising  blood

I just heard them say that . It certainly is striking 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

Halifax Town have gone top of the National League (which i still keep calling the Conference). They have done really well this season. 

Just looking that division and it’s strange to see so many clubs that I still regard as ‘famous’ clubs no longer in the top 4 divisions. 

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Just looking that division and it’s strange to see so many clubs that I still regard as ‘famous’ clubs no longer in the top 4 divisions. 

It's a very, very hard league to get out of once you fall into it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

all this FA  cup magic every year is all very nice but it will be chelsea man city etc in the final again

The FA Cup magic starts in the first weekend in August. By the time of the third round there are no genuinely small teams left. Even the minnows are full time by this stage.

Leicester are the current holders though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

all this FA  cup magic every year is all very nice but it will be chelsea man city etc in the final again

That would be good as there has never been. Chelsea v Man City final. 

29 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Oh dear Arsenal are out . I am , hang on,(sniffs onion) I'm in tears.

they wont be wearing their "unlucky" strip again

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

That would be good as there has never been. Chelsea v Man City final. 

if they dont meet each other earlier cant see much of an alternative

Really Really Really hope it doesn't happen, but Arsenal wearing kit to protest against violence,  and enraged Arsenal moron fan stabs someone,  would be ultimate irony.

Edited by HawkMan

We, Tottenham won the Cup in 1962, and 1982, so a year ending in 2, got be our year this year, assuming after beating Brighton we draw Hartlepool,  Kidderminster and Boreham Wood in 5th round,  QF and SF.

BTW why do Boreham Wood call themselves that when they play in Borehamwood. ( one word)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_Park_(Borehamwood)

Edited by HawkMan

26 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

We, Tottenham won the Cup in 1962, and 1982, so a year ending in 2, got be our year this year, assuming after beating Brighton we draw Hartlepool,  Kidderminster and Boreham Wood in 5th round,  QF and SF.

BTW why do Boreham Wood call themselves that when they play in Borehamwood. ( one word)

more chance of a year starting in 1 

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Boreham Wood is the older name for the area and still used sometimes.

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2022 at 08:01, Tommygilf said:

I don't doubt he has, I think what is correct is that he is the calibre of player Newcastle could be in for and pay well over the odds for.

They have signed Chris Wood I think, so hopefully In can breathe a sigh of relief!

20m was the fee, which seems over the odds. 

2 hours ago, Niels said:

They have signed Chris Wood I think, so hopefully In can breathe a sigh of relief!

20m was the fee, which seems over the odds. 

It does seem a tad high, though potentially quite shrewd too.

First and formost, he is a proven, capable Premier League Striker. He can also do a job in the Championship and is the calibre of player willing to accept Championship and good wages that Newcastle are likely to attract at the start of this window.

A major attractive element of this must be that it is a metaphorical "6 pointer" though. It strengthens Newcastle whilst fundamentally weakening one of their direct rivals in Burnley. His goals, or lack of them at Burnley, could be what keeps the Magpies up this season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It does seem a tad high, though potentially quite shrewd too.

First and formost, he is a proven, capable Premier League Striker. He can also do a job in the Championship and is the calibre of player willing to accept Championship and good wages that Newcastle are likely to attract at the start of this window.

A major attractive element of this must be that it is a metaphorical "6 pointer" though. It strengthens Newcastle whilst fundamentally weakening one of their direct rivals in Burnley. His goals, or lack of them at Burnley, could be what keeps the Magpies up this season.

I agree with your opinion here.

Will be interesting to see if/how Burnley respond in the transfer market this month to try and replace him.

You would think they would have someone in mind despite the more limited choice this window. 

• Like 1