Whisky

On 15/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, Futtocks said:

Keep us posted as and when you try it.

I’m having some now out of a Travelodge mug in my hotel room. It’s nice. I can’t work out what it is though. Fits anywhere between Bunnahabhain and Ardbeg. Tastes a bit young though, they don’t have the “10yo” sign on it this year  

This would be a nice whisky you’d be happy with at £30-£35. A genuine bargain at £18.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, ckn said:

Tastes a bit young though, they don’t have the “10yo” sign on it this year  

I think we noted that they'd taken that off last year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 16/12/2017 at 11:35 PM, ckn said:

I’m having some now out of a Travelodge mug in my hotel room. It’s nice. I can’t work out what it is though. Fits anywhere between Bunnahabhain and Ardbeg. Tastes a bit young though, they don’t have the “10yo” sign on it this year  

This would be a nice whisky you’d be happy with at £30-£35. A genuine bargain at £18.

Definitely too young. Plus it was £18.50 in my Asda! 

Alright though.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

37 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Definitely too young. Plus it was £18.50 in my Asda! 

Alright though.

My one was definitely young but wasn’t that bad. Tasted older than the unaged “specials” I’ve seen big distilleries put out over the last few years. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

My one was definitely young but wasn’t that bad. Tasted older than the unaged “specials” I’ve seen big distilleries put out over the last few years. 

Yes, I'm sipping away at the mo and my mouth is full of the seaweed and smoke that Islays bring. I don't like it.....I LOVE it.

Ron Banks

13 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I've never had a cask strength Islay, I bet that would be something!

Get yourself onto the Laphroaig website and register as a “friend”. You get exclusive first go at their annual cask strength release. Usually about £40-£45 and 55%-60%abv. More than worth it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I've never had a cask strength Islay, I bet that would be something!

I have, and at the time when I had a American neighbour who thought he could handle hard liquor. He insisted on taking it neat as a macho shot. His eyes went very wide, and I think I may have seen smoke coming out of his ears!

For his following dram, he asked for a dash of water in it, and appreciated it in a less fire'n'brimstone fashion.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I have, and at the time when I had a American neighbour who thought he could handle hard liquor. He insisted on taking it neat as a macho shot. His eyes went very wide, and I think I may have seen smoke coming out of his ears!

For his following dram, he asked for a dash of water in it, and appreciated it in a less fire'n'brimstone fashion.

I had the privilege of meeting the Laphroaig master distiller on a tour years ago and his view was that you're wasting cask strength if you're not putting at least a dribble of water in to release the flavour.  "Like eating a sweetie with the wrapper on" were his words, if I remember rightly.

Whisky at 40% abv is diluted enough, whisky over 50% needs a helping hand

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I had the privilege of meeting the Laphroaig master distiller on a tour years ago and his view was that you're wasting cask strength if you're not putting at least a dribble of water in to release the flavour.  "Like eating a sweetie with the wrapper on" were his words, if I remember rightly.

Said Yank did insist on having it straight, and he was a bit annoying, so I complied without argument. B) 

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Skids said:

Anyone tried Tesco 12 year single malt, highland or speyside?

£20 A bottle at the moment. 

Tesco 'own label' Speyside is supposed to be a very good bargain, but I haven't tried it yet.

For Sainsbury's, I'd recommend the Highland, but not the Speyside.

But do remember that the supermarkets change suppliers every now and then, so if you start looking up on-line reviews, make sure they are as recent as possible.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a long time since I enjoyed a single malt. They are not readily available here and carry a premium price-tag. My usual whisky is Lidl's Queen Margot. I take it 50/50 with water and don't drink a lot of it. This Christmas, I fancied a drop of something better, so I set off to find a single malt. After three supermarkets, the only one I could find was a 12 year old Speyside - Cardhu.

Is it any good or have I just chucked away €30 on some paint stripper? I won't open it until Monday as it's a Christmas present to myself.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

22 hours ago, Skids said:

Anyone tried Tesco 12 year single malt, highland or speyside?

£20 A bottle at the moment. 

Down to the last few drams of a bottle of it. For the price, I wasn't disappointed. Far from it.

Edited by Ullman
Forgot to mention it's the highland.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 19/12/2017 at 12:03 AM, ckn said:

A mate of mine bought me a bottle of cask strength Redbreast Irish Whiskey for my birthday. I obviously tried it neat out of curiosity but it's massively improved by adding water. It'll take almost its own volume in water and still remain a fine drink.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

13 minutes ago, Ullman said:

A mate of mine bought me a bottle of cask strength Redbreast Irish Whiskey for my birthday. I obviously tried it neat out of curiosity but it's massively improved by adding water. It'll take almost its own volume in water and still remain a fine drink.

Quite floral isn't It? A surprisingly good change.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Been given 2 bottles of single malt for the first ever time , so I'm only allowed it with water ?

I always take my 40 % volume neat. Cask strength ALWAYS needs diluting.

Robins 46% vol ? Im not sure...perhaps a little water?

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

Ron Banks

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Been given 2 bottles of single malt for the first ever time , so I'm only allowed it with water ?

The only thing the memsahib puts in her whisky is another whisky.

Try it neat. Then add no more than a teaspoon of water to release the oils/flavour etc.... there will be 2 different experiences 

See how you like it. Purely a matter of choice.

At 46% I'd normally advice a few drops of water

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

you're allowed it any which way you like, some recommend neat (me), others suggest one piece of ice, others will say a separate container of water to sip in between the whisky sips

A splash of chilled water is what I usually have with whisky. Ice, as it melts, changes the dilution as you drink.

Start with just a few drops, then gradually increase the amount of water 'til it tastes best to you.

Ralph Waldo Emerson