Do we expect too much

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impossible to prove

He knocks the ball down out of Shauls hands as both are sprinting to the Wigan try line, to me the ball simply squirts out of Shauls hands and heads in a direction towards the touch line and Wigans try line

At best it's 50/50 at best and no way could any official be expected to call on that - and I'd also say the "call" went the same way every other such play has ever gone

And in either case it should not deflect from what was an astonishing play from Charnley

Whether he knocked it forward or not, the player who picked it up after was offside.

It was O'loughlin who was also chasing back who dropped on the loose ball. I don't think he came from an off side position. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The game was disappointing because there was way too much ball dropped by Hull with minimal or no contact.

Hull were magnificent in defence but the object of the game is not to see how long you can hold out for whilst constantly giving the ball back to the opposition.

Edited by L Bow

Good article. I agree about the ratio of good games - in my opinion, even the poor games of RL have plenty of decent stuff in them. The other day was frustrating and too stop-start but there were plenty of big hits, some nice breaks and plenty of tension.

Everything is so extreme in Rugby League world (not your magazine!) - a bad game means the game is dying in many people's heads!

I'll agree with you here, even though it wasn't electric on the eye there was still plenty of good defensive skills going on.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

It's part of the culture of the game to knock it. We're always "on show" for some reason. Why? It's a great game, with a great atmosphere and a good community of people involved. Give others a chance to enjoy it, if they do, great. If they don't hey-ho!

It is very, very rare that a RL match doesn't have a "magic moment". Even in Saturday's game, there was the Tomkins try & Jamie Shaul run and Charnley tackle. Moments that people will remember for years. Despite all the attacking errors by Hull, it was still tense and right up to the end, if Hull had started to hold onto the ball, they could have got back into it.

Not a classic by any means, but certainly not boring.

RL fans need to stop feeling the need to justify the sport. Enjoy it for what it is & be grateful that you've had the opportunity to be a part of it.

Case in point from another code - Man Utd v Chelsea, 2 of the top 3, dreadful game. It was tense because the score was so close but otherwise it won't be putting the fear of God up Bayern or Barca.

If Hull had scored off that break it could have been different. The longer the game went on, the more mistakes they made as the pressure built.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Yeah, impossible to call that a knock on and no one was offside

erm, O'Loughlin was.

O'Loughlin was ahead of Charnley, Charnley touched it (knocked it down) and O'Loughlin picked it up ahead of Charnley.

A clear offside, assuming that Charnley touched it, which is clearly the case.

Bad day at the office ,poor playing conditions ( was the weather really that bad ? )

We expect high standards because this is our flagship competition , if you compare the game on Saturday with any played over the week end in Oz then we really do have to question our quality ?

Or are we not giving credit to the level of defence on show ,Hull spilled a lot of possession but was that not down to the in your face defence from Wigan and in the same token how well did Hull defend ?

For me our game is getting stale because we do not have the strength of depth in quality of attacking players with the craft and guile to open tight defences .

How many of our Home grown halfs would cut the mustard in oz as apposed to the other way ?

Yes Saturdays game was a big disappointment but so are most of our super league games ,the game is losing its WOW factor over here our family prefer watching the Oz game and we talk more about the skills on show in OZ games compared to ours .

I have never, ever, been as wet at a rugby game. I gave up as I just could not get any wetter.

Having now started to pick up the opinions of people who are casual viewers it seems that they wereimpressed considering the conditions, and also thought it was a game that was dramatic to the end.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

You jammy git Martin. I had to sit through almost all of Man U v Chelsea and believe me the second forty five was better than the first. For all you people making comments about Charnley chasing down Shaul, it was a knock on, head and feed to Hull.

I need to watch that again,  both players were moving at speed if Charnley hits the ball towards his own line and they both overrun it, even before it hits the ground, then, it isn't a knock on.

A knock on is judged differently than a forward past.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I watched it with a few non-RL fans in a pub in Edinburgh and despite acknowledging that the game wasn't a classic, nobody thought the game was dying, nobody questioned the empty seats - they just watched it for what it was - a big game of RL.

Most people in the country are football fans, they are more than used to watching games that disappoint.

erm, O'Loughlin was.

O'Loughlin was ahead of Charnley, Charnley touched it (knocked it down) and O'Loughlin picked it up ahead of Charnley.

A clear offside, assuming that Charnley touched it, which is clearly the case.

It's impossible to say whether its a knock on or not as he could of hit the ball into Shaul. I'm certain oloughlin isn't offside though as the ball from the initial contact goes back towards the Wigan line so even if oloughlin comes from an offside position he has to put himself onside to pick the ball up

It's impossible to say whether its a knock on or not as he could of hit the ball into Shaul. I'm certain oloughlin isn't offside though as the ball from the initial contact goes back towards the Wigan line so even if oloughlin comes from an offside position he has to put himself onside to pick the ball up

ah... I could be wrong, but I thought he could only be played onside by Charnley going in front of him.

My understanding is that Charnley touched it and O'Loughlin was in an offside position - he was never played onside as he stayed ahead of Charnley at all times. Like I say, I could easily be wrong on this one!

ah... I could be wrong, but I thought he could only be played onside by Charnley going in front of him.

My understanding is that Charnley touched it and O'Loughlin was in an offside position - he was never played onside as he stayed ahead of Charnley at all times. Like I say, I could easily be wrong on this one!

That's off a kick but a kick will be going forward so if your in front you need the kicker to play you onside. This ball was touched so if the point where oloughlin picks the ball up is behind where charnley touches its ok. You can't be offside picking a ball up that goes backwards.

That's off a kick but a kick will be going forward so if your in front you need the kicker to play you onside. This ball was touched so if the point where oloughlin picks the ball up is behind where charnley touches its ok. You can't be offside picking a ball up that goes backwards.

When off side 1. A player is off side except when he is in his own ingoal if the ball touches, is touched, held or kicked, by one of his own team behind him.

It then goes on to say, you are placed onside if:

(e) he retires behind the point where the ball was last touched by one of his own team.

So yes, it would appear it was fine, apologies!

Edited by Dave T

Bad day at the office ,poor playing conditions ( was the weather really that bad ? )

We expect high standards because this is our flagship competition , if you compare the game on Saturday with any played over the week end in Oz then we really do have to question our quality ?

Or are we not giving credit to the level of defence on show ,Hull spilled a lot of possession but was that not down to the in your face defence from Wigan and in the same token how well did Hull defend ?

For me our game is getting stale because we do not have the strength of depth in quality of attacking players with the craft and guile to open tight defences .

How many of our Home grown halfs would cut the mustard in oz as apposed to the other way ?

Yes Saturdays game was a big disappointment but so are most of our super league games ,the game is losing its WOW factor over here our family prefer watching the Oz game and we talk more about the skills on show in OZ games compared to ours .

The principal halfback who couldn't remotely get it right on Saturday was an Australian.

I think people are getting confused about which direction Wigan are attacking.  When Charnley knocks the ball out of Shaul's hands it travels forwards towards the Hull line.   It's a Wigan player knocking the ball forwards, which is a knock on.   And O'Loughlin is ahead of Charnley not behind him, which makes him offside IMO.  

Still great play from Charnley and he saved a certain try.

For a while now the referees have been calling a knock on against the defending side if the ball is knocked out of the attacking players hands.  I think it's a daft ruling as it encourages loose carrying of the ball, but it's what's been happening.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.