Fev away!

scott

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without some significant changes to the side that played Hunslet can’t see us scoring enough tries,  and even with Stack back to boost our defence can’t see us stopping enough tries, to cause an upset. If we can reduce our errors, which would be a step forward, we might avoid a clattering.

just want us to score a few tries and play a little rugby , don t expect a win  , fine tune ourselves for must win batley match  . on the subject of perry whiteley , scores tries but also lets them in , who is physically big enough to take his place , that is the problem .on sunday actually the try scored from the play the ball on our line , he was left one on one with the attacker , how many of our players would have expected to score given that scenario .

Its swings and roundabouts I guess . Perry is a handful with the ball , always takes some handling and scores tries ... Mossop is solid but not as potent with the ball . I would certainly persevere with Perry as we need that strike behind the scrum , and I wouldn't drop Horton either . I'd go the other way , get him in the middle at 13 , off the fringe and see how he steps up to that . But ultimately this is all skirting the main issue for me . Defence can be worked on and drilled , but attack is our big longstanding issue, and that comes down to the halves - until we get the quality and nous there that others have everything with the ball will be an effort . Our passing is ponderous , our moves look stilted and predictable , and we are far to easy to read for defences

We do seem easy to defend against.  More and more teams are getting in our faces quicker and we don't seem to have an answer to this.   But surely this is where we need a good kicking game with a variety of positional kicks, little kicks over the defence, etc, and more running from dummy half to make the opposition think a bit more about us.    I think most opposition coaches looking at our match DVD's will see the same pattern of play over and over again and plan accordingly.     This is where we need a Plan B or C and we just don't seem to have one.    The more possession we have the less defence we have to put in and any defence should mainly be in the opposition's half of the field if we do it right.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Interesting that Bear in town cos although I have quoted the press I too thought you beat us around that time so I will check it out.

Phil,

I am fairly sure that the press statement said, Workington have only won once at Fev in the last 61 years.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

We beat Fev 63 years ago ... In the first final to be televised , so the TV hoodoo hasn't always been there !

David,

Quite right I have the DVD, however that game wasn't at Fev either :)

When did Workington join the professional leagues? Just that it can't have been a very long wait for that 1st Wembley visit.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Its swings and roundabouts I guess . Perry is a handful with the ball , always takes some handling and scores tries ... Mossop is solid but not as potent with the ball . I would certainly persevere with Perry as we need that strike behind the scrum , and I wouldn't drop Horton either . I'd go the other way , get him in the middle at 13 , off the fringe and see how he steps up to that . But ultimately this is all skirting the main issue for me . Defence can be worked on and drilled , but attack is our big longstanding issue, and that comes down to the halves - until we get the quality and nous there that others have everything with the ball will be an effort . Our passing is ponderous , our moves look stilted and predictable , and we are far to easy to read for defences

bang on !

David,

Quite right I have the DVD, however that game wasn't at Fev either :)

When did Workington join the professional leagues? Just that it can't have been a very long wait for that 1st Wembley visit.

Town joined for the 1945-46 season, so that Wembley win was at the end of the 7th season

And the previous season Town won the Championship play-offs

Not bad for a new-ish club

Town joined for the 1945-46 season, so that Wembley win was at the end of the 7th season

And the previous season Town won the Championship play-offs

Not bad for a new-ish club

I cannot see those achievements ever being beaten for a new club to win the Championship in their 6th year and then win at Wembley in their 7th season now they would have to be something special.    Town also were runners-up at Wembley in 1955 and also in 1958 when they were also runners-up in the Championship final as well (a runners-up double).

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Phil,

I am fairly sure that the press statement said, Workington have only won once at Fev in the last 61 years.

You are correct Grinder I've seen it quoted again in today's press. Apologies Town fans.Have a safe trip.

2002 season. Not quite sure of the full time score but Gus Frazer scored with pretty much the last touch of the game to win it (Amazingly he had done exactly the same the week before at home to Sheffield) Remember big Hitro having a hell of a game against his old club.

It was 9th December 2001 to be exact.

Featherstone 17 Workington 18 was the final score.

Town were 17-10 down with 4 mins left when Lewty scored his 2nd of the game. Then with only 10 seconds left Gus went over to seal the win. MoM for Town was Martin Wood.

And yes Gus had done the same the week before at DP when we beat Sheffield 12-10.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Forgive my memory , were we not playing summer rugby then ?

In 2001 the NFP went back to a winter/spring season to see if they could get better crowds. The 2001/2 season started in September just 7 weeks after the old season ended.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Really , that's interesting . Can't remember that .Wonder if there was an effect with crowds.

if they ever went back to winter rugby we would never play at home again. We struggle to get games on in the middle of summer with the weather.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Archived