FRANCE V ENGLAND

The RFL should commit to playing a two game series in France every year for the foreseeable. Would benefit everyone involved much more than what we currently have.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

This year's haphazardly organised fixture at the Leigh Sports Village doesn't look like it's going to be a sellout, so why don't we play a two game series each year. One in an expansion area: Newcastle, Bristol, Coventry etc near to St George's Day? And then have a game in France on today; Bastille Day?

http://bit.ly/1Skonkq

The problem with mid-season ones is Catalans throw their toys out their pram because all their (French) players are selected and only a few from each club in the rest of Super League are, so they feel they are disadvantaged for the next game. That said, given the spread of French players in Super League, and the fact there are so many antipodeans in the Catalans team, it's a difficult argument to sustain. The FFR have about as much power as the RLIF though, and the Catalans President throws his weight about and gets his way

This year's haphazardly organised fixture at the Leigh Sports Village doesn't look like it's going to be a sellout, so why don't we play a two game series each year. One in an expansion area: Newcastle, Bristol, Coventry etc near to St George's Day? And then have a game in France on today; Bastille Day?

It might be a struggle to plan a Bastille Day game at this notice; then again, it wouldn't be out of character in international RL to plan a game and play it on the same day.

On a more serious note, the Bastille Day idea has been around for a while and it deserves some real consideration. However, we shouldn't just assume that French people have got nothing better to do than to attend a rugby match on their national day so it would require plenty of promotion to be made into a success.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

What's better for England and international RL, playing France in Leigh and having home advantage in front of a 1/2-3/4 full stadium and cruising to an easy win or playing France in France on Bastille day in front of a big vocal crowd that could only but lift the French national team?

It might be a struggle to plan a Bastille Day game at this notice; then again, it wouldn't be out of character in international RL to plan a game and play it on the same day.

On a more serious note, the Bastille Day idea has been around for a while and it deserves some real consideration. However, we shouldn't just assume that French people have got nothing better to do than to attend a rugby match on their national day so it would require plenty of promotion to be made into a success.

If the French couldn't fill a stadium on the most patriotic day in the French calendar against the old enemy England then they never will. I honestly think it would be a smash hit but we'll never know until it actually happens.

If the French couldn't fill a stadium on the most patriotic day in the French calendar against the old enemy England then they never will. I honestly think it would be a smash hit but we'll never know until it actually happens.

you'd imagine they would do. Especially to lay into the English

We pulled 17.000+ on a friday night in Avignon against NZ. 

We'd smash it on Bastille Day against Rosbeefs.

And there's nothing else on in France (Sportwise) this time of year. Do you happen to know why they picked Lens? Did the Conseil bid for it? They could put it out to tender and take it to Lyon, Grenoble, Le Mans, wherever....

Ok. so I sent and email to the RFL in regards to  ''My Idea' about a test series between England and France. Finally after about 2 weeks I got a reply back. So I would like to share you my idea and response with the forum. (Keeping in mind I know I some people will dissect my idea and be critical about it. But never the less I want to put it up there for people to discuss)

Hopefully it has good merits or other people can add to it?

So here goes...........................

My email

Hi,

I was a born and bread Rugby League supporter from day one (over 30 years now)
But as I have noticed more, rugby league in the UK is lacking something like a  annual test match that could rival the likes of State of Origin or the ANZAC test played between Australia and New Zealand.

My idea is (with the ever increasing French players applying there skills in Super League and to a lesser extent NRL) I think its time to host annual 2 match Test series with England and France
Both games could be played in France giving 2 weeks off from Super League to help accommodate players especially from Catalan Dragons.

If promoted right you could convince English fans for a mini 2 match tour of France (most fans do it anyway when traveling to watch their respected club play Catalans)
I think it could be easily possible to have about 3-4,000 traveling English fans from Super League, Champion and Championship 1 clubs. If you promote the test series early with 8 months in advance people would be able to plan there holiday in accordingly to the series.

This could also open up new possibilities to new sponsors and the sale of merchandise. 
And in time it could be build as an annual test series that could rival State of Origin (Remember when State of Origin first started it was deemed to fail.... now it is a massive money spinner for the NRL)

Remember even if  England do beat France handsomely the fans would just enjoy the tour/holiday and the fantastic weather on offer, and when finally France do win a game or series it would officially be a proper contest.

For this too really take off I believe that the opening test match should always be played on Bastille Day (no other sports utilise this public holiday in France)  if promote right (even with the help of the NRL) you could grab many French fans to the event just to watch France play on such a historical day against an old rival such as England.

I believe that  both games should be played in 20,000 plus stadiums one being in rugby league Heartland in France the other being in a non rugby league Heartland such as Paris or Marseille.

Lately on many rugby league forums there has been a call for this test series so the support for this is already there.
Proposed test Series,

France V England in Paris,  Stade Jean-Bouin Stadium 20,000 (Bastille Day)
France V England in Toulouse, Stade Ernest-Wallon  19,5000 

Thank you for your time
 Hope to here from you shortly

Response from RFL

Thanks for your e mail which has been passed to me.

We are reviewing our international programme and regular fixtures against France will be an integral part of this.

The challenge is around games in mid-season given the packed programme that Super League has and which significantly affects both international teams. There are also player welfare considerations that are required.

I do not disagree that there is an appetite for quality competition and that France have a lot to offer the international game.

Best wishes

Not really the answer I was looking for?

France have also gotta be willing to play against us...

It was the french that ducked out of mid season test that led to us playing the exiles...france opted not to bother,people forget that and decide we abandoned them cos it suits the RFL bashing narative..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

France have also gotta be willing to play against us...

It was the french that ducked out of mid season test that led to us playing the exiles...france opted not to bother,people forget that and decide we abandoned them cos it suits the RFL bashing narative..

this would suggest it was the English that 'snubbed' the French: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10448180/Rugby-League-World-Cup-2013-snubbed-France-have-point-to-prove-against-England.html

I'd also imagine, as their comp has no major tv deal, or big sponsorship (neither does SL but 750k p/a is a lot more than the French get, even if most folk not involved in RL know what First Utility is) and so a test match v England, at Avignon, Perpignan, Montpellier or elsewhere would be a big money spinner, especially if it was put out to tender overheads would be much smaller.

Ok. so I sent and email to the RFL in regards to  ''My Idea' about a test series between England and France. Finally after about 2 weeks I got a reply back. So I would like to share you my idea and response with the forum. (Keeping in mind I know I some people will dissect my idea and be critical about it. But never the less I want to put it up there for people to discuss)

Hopefully it has good merits or other people can add to it?

So here goes...........................

My email

Hi,

I was a born and bread Rugby League supporter from day one (over 30 years now)
But as I have noticed more, rugby league in the UK is lacking something like a  annual test match that could rival the likes of State of Origin or the ANZAC test played between Australia and New Zealand.

My idea is (with the ever increasing French players applying there skills in Super League and to a lesser extent NRL) I think its time to host annual 2 match Test series with England and France
Both games could be played in France giving 2 weeks off from Super League to help accommodate players especially from Catalan Dragons.

If promoted right you could convince English fans for a mini 2 match tour of France (most fans do it anyway when traveling to watch their respected club play Catalans)
I think it could be easily possible to have about 3-4,000 traveling English fans from Super League, Champion and Championship 1 clubs. If you promote the test series early with 8 months in advance people would be able to plan there holiday in accordingly to the series.

This could also open up new possibilities to new sponsors and the sale of merchandise. 
And in time it could be build as an annual test series that could rival State of Origin (Remember when State of Origin first started it was deemed to fail.... now it is a massive money spinner for the NRL)

Remember even if  England do beat France handsomely the fans would just enjoy the tour/holiday and the fantastic weather on offer, and when finally France do win a game or series it would officially be a proper contest.

For this too really take off I believe that the opening test match should always be played on Bastille Day (no other sports utilise this public holiday in France)  if promote right (even with the help of the NRL) you could grab many French fans to the event just to watch France play on such a historical day against an old rival such as England.

I believe that  both games should be played in 20,000 plus stadiums one being in rugby league Heartland in France the other being in a non rugby league Heartland such as Paris or Marseille.

Lately on many rugby league forums there has been a call for this test series so the support for this is already there.
Proposed test Series,

France V England in Paris,  Stade Jean-Bouin Stadium 20,000 (Bastille Day)
France V England in Toulouse, Stade Ernest-Wallon  19,5000 

Thank you for your time
 Hope to here from you shortly

Response from RFL

Thanks for your e mail which has been passed to me.

We are reviewing our international programme and regular fixtures against France will be an integral part of this.

The challenge is around games in mid-season given the packed programme that Super League has and which significantly affects both international teams. There are also player welfare considerations that are required.

I do not disagree that there is an appetite for quality competition and that France have a lot to offer the international game.

Best wishes

Not really the answer I was looking for?

Hi HPOF, thanks for sharing that with us. I doubt you'll hear much from the RFL, they keep tight lipped on things like this most French forum users know when stuff is happening anyway before the RFL announce anything. Having said that I imagine they read your email and thought, France? What's this. To paraphrase Ali G "the world is bigger than Staines (m62)". It also annoys me how they won't move SL games because of fear of upsetting the status quo, RL administrators seem blinded by the fact that you can't sell Wigan v Saints as well as you can France v England. Could we scrap two games from the current calendar to make room? 

this would suggest it was the English that 'snubbed' the French: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10448180/Rugby-League-World-Cup-2013-snubbed-France-have-point-to-prove-against-England.html

I'd also imagine, as their comp has no major tv deal, or big sponsorship (neither does SL but 750k p/a is a lot more than the French get, even if most folk not involved in RL know what First Utility is) and so a test match v England, at Avignon, Perpignan, Montpellier or elsewhere would be a big money spinner, especially if it was put out to tender overheads would be much smaller.

France vs England would be a big money spinner? To who? How?
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

France vs England would be a big money spinner? To who? How?

The French Federation. French sport works completely differently to British sport. Councils play a big part in a lot of it (bidding for TDF stages for example, EURO2016, RWC2007, RLWC2013 venues), and by putting it out to tender the FFRXIII should/could be looking at taking home upwards of £500,000 (including TV cash)

The French Federation. French sport works completely differently to British sport. Councils play a big part in a lot of it (bidding for TDF stages for example, EURO2016, RWC2007, RLWC2013 venues), and by putting it out to tender the FFRXIII should/could be looking at taking home upwards of £500,000 (including TV cash)

If that were the case, how come the previous tests in France haven't commanded loads?
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Which goes against the ffrxiii president saying they cancelled it cos of the impact it had on the french team when catalan pulled its players out..

Seriously some of you need to stop believing what journos make up...

Catalan pulled its players out cos it impacted their season as a result france put out a very weakend side which got spanked...hence why they ended it..

Thats not to say england wheren't looking for stiffer opposition,the french just made it easy for the rfl by pulling out.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived