Musicals are the lowest form of Art

The musical Cabaret is one of my favourites Lisa Minelli Michael York Joel Grey,a multi Oscar film.

Whats not to like?

A good example of why you should never dismiss an entire genre.

(Waits for examples of genres that should be dismissed entirely.)

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I have long believed this.  You combine generally ###### songs with acting in which people burst into song at a moment's notice (###### acting in other words) and the sum most certainly is not greater than it's parts.  It's culture at it's worst.  I hate them.

Agree entirely. Utter rubbish. Lower theatre than pantomime.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Showboat is currently playing at the Sheffield Crucible.

It's a superb production and I'd be amazed if you didn't enjoy it, as I'm sure it would be right down your street.

It might be if he lived in York.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I don't mind a good musical, Phantom of the Opera being a particular favorite. In my opinion the lowest form of art is anything classed as "modern art", an example being the messy bedroom thing by tracey emmin.

I went to see Phantom this year in London.  It was ######.  It could have finished at half time.  I've seen four West End shows.  Charley Girl - unadulterated rubbish, An Inspector Calls, I fell asleep, Les Mis, which I quite enjoyed and Phantom which I didn't.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Rocky Horror Show.

Little Shop of Horrors

.you've seen the show, you've watched the film, now read the book. No, really, you shpould read the book, its magnificent. Les Miserables

Best book I've ever read.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Showboat is currently playing at the Sheffield Crucible.

It's a superb production and I'd be amazed if you didn't enjoy it, as I'm sure it would be right down your street.

The Crucible under Daniel Evans has a recent history of putting on some great musicals. He will be leaving soon and he will be a great loss to that theatre.

I was lucky to get to see Showboat last week for £16 a ticket on a last minute offer. Fantastic set, really used the Crucible space well, great singing and doesn't hold back on pointing out racism either. OK, the stories in musicals are a bit thin usually but I'm happy to go and enjoy myself. I could probably watch "Waiting for Godot" again at a push, but I'd jump at the chance to see "Hairspray", "Jersey Boys" or "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" again - all of which I saw in the West End.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-running_musical_theatre_productions. Some hit songs out of that little lot.

I realise that this is a Rugby League forum where anything popular and sucessful is regarded with suspicion and disfavour, but Ithink the OP is way off mark.

Can't see many decent ones which weren't written previously.  I don't mind a bit of Buddy Holly.  Regardless, being a hit song isn't really a good gauge of being decent.  The charts are full of ###### and always have been.  I stand by my argument that I think musicals are rubbish!

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

If you don't like musicals, don't go and watch them.

Same goes for boy bands, heavy metal, opera, punk, chamber music or whatever your particular bugbear is.

My two to avoid at all costs are rap music and prog rock.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Hair Metal

If it wasn't for hair metal the concept of all the way up to 11 would never have been invented and rocking out would have been limited to what was possible in the 50's. Volume is completely unnecessary without it and some of the greatest guitar riffs ever never come to light.

The trouble is that the majority of the public, including me,  love them.

I bet you sell loads of tickets for your own am-dram's production of Titus Andronicus this spring.

It must be so frustrating for you aesthetes.

;):D

I think Titus Andronicus would make an interesting, if gory musical.

The death metal genre would be suitable for the music.

Archived