BBC 2016 preview, no Rugby League

The question should be, what can be done to change this lack of promotion?

Surely the RFL need to leverage better promotion and exposure for the sport.......there's little that fans can do directly, but next time the broadcast rights for the Challenge Cup are up for grabs, it's time to build promotional activity into the deal. I have no doubt 'other' sports do this as is evident from the 6 Nations promo mentioned earlier in this thread. Same with SKY who seem reticent to promote RL heavily.

If you want to watch Rugby League on television take out subscriptions to Premier Sport & Sky Sports and ignore the BBC because history has shown us that they are unlikely to make much of an effort. I haven't been concerned with the BBC's coverage for over 25 years. SUPPORT THE TV COMPANIES THAT COVER RUGBY LEAGUE HOW WE WANT IT COVERED.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernRugbyLeague/?fref=ts

I think the BBC is getting better - this in isolation is not good, but a lot of their TV stuff last year was excellently done. During their review of the RL year - unhelpfully called the Super League Show as SL took up less than half of it - they highlighted what they are showing next year - 7 CC games, the 4Ns - 30 weeks of the SL show and play off highlights.

The problem is the continued disconnect between their doing this stuff well and the overall editing, news and the awful Five 5. The RFL should be targeting those areas if they are doing their job properly...

incidentally, aside from the Olympics, we get better TV coverage from them than cycling.

The SL logo was included in the logos of Sky's roll call for next year's tournaments by the way. The coverage we get on Sky Sports News is advert enough I think.

A way to go, but I would not write off the BBC just yet:

Shows track cycling, plus the Olympics

They mention the Olympics separately in the trails I've heard.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have read the Telegraph over many years, and I cannot recall Rugby League being mentioned in their annual sports review. The sport really made it this year, though sadly it was due to a player dying, and his widow by her outstanding singing at various sporting functions bringing tears to supporters eyes. The article went on to say that there was a great revival in the sport, and the crowds had increased, That was news to me, though if we count the Autumn international tour, this proved a real crowd puller, despite the London game being a disappointment.

to be fair though, the bbc know that they will be showing live challenge cup, four nations, plus sl highlights

I appreciate that Dave and not making excuses. I just think if we had a professional approach to the game's biggest product i.e. the international game, we'd have a much bigger stick to use with broadcasters...

The BBC Sportsday trailer has 5 clips of Rugby in its opening titles. Guess how many codes of rugby in those 5 clips......

Rugby league used to be represented by Tom Lineham hairing down the wing I think it was, and then scoring - looked explosive.

I think someone must have had a word.

Archived