A Letter from the heart.....stirring the memory banks!

OutsiderLookingIn

Ah Herbert St, blimey i remember when we had a full stand there, not many pics of it i dont think, there is this one below,its the only one i have ever come across from the End of an Era programme (sorry for the rubbish quality), it was unusual at the time to have a ground with 4 covered stands. Anyway i chuckled when i read the words Herbert St, simply because i remember Charlie Mc i think kicking the ball out from a penalty,smashing a bathroom window on the terraced houses, a little head popped out to be met with waves and laughter from the Sheddings end. Oh happy days indeed!

post-19050-0-10403600-1456346063_thumb.jpg

Watched my first game from up in that stand Roughyed34.  Oldham were playing some Great Britain representative side before they went on tour although I think the years may have twisted that story in my head a bit.  I was only a nipper anyway and my Grandad took me. I returned the favour years later when the two of us ferried up and down the motorway in my car.  

I used to go to the rugby with my friends family as my family are soccer fans.I used to enter the ground from counthill road,through the turnstiles, then I went left along the main stand and on top of one of the dugouts.I normally had a meat pie and oxtail soup religiously at every match.I once caught a lace that Charlie McAlister threw into the crowd,I felt like the luckiest boy in the world, Charlie was one of my favourite players.Used to watch him and his son and future all black Luke kicking the rugby ball to each other up at Strinesdale.I was in awe of him.

Yes I remember the tie ups, running on the pitch at full time and getting mud encrusted pieces of laces...how awesome forget pre match entertainment that was fun...can anyone remember the match we were sponsored by the Sunday Sport and the scantily clad girls walked around the pitch. The fans started singing get your #### out for the lads....and they did ...I think it was the first time I had seen breasts in all there wonderful glory..glorious

That pic with the fans on is from the Good Friday derby v Salford BryanC, it was the game where both sets of fans ended up on the pitch to protest against the merger.Dave Wareham has some great pics on that site you are absolutely right. Great memories but breaks my heart every time i see them,there is an incredibly sad image of the Sheddings end just prior to demolition with no roof and no barriers,just a huge bank of terracing knocking about somewhere.I still look down Watersheddings street everytime im up that way on and i swear i still see the back of the Sheddings end in my minds eye and not some housing estate!Found the pic i was on about courtesy of Iain Sharpe off the Watersheddings memories FB page.

attachicon.gif1456263781529.jpg

That must be one of the saddest pictures ever! I can't stop looking and thinking "what if...."

Yes I remember the tie ups, running on the pitch at full time and getting mud encrusted pieces of laces...how awesome forget pre match entertainment that was fun...can anyone remember the match we were sponsored by the Sunday Sport and the scantily clad girls walked around the pitch. The fans started singing get your #### out for the lads....and they did ...I think it was the first time I had seen breasts in all there wonderful glory..glorious

I was reading the programme and missed it...  had to ask dad and grandma what happened!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Don't know what year this was but I was at Owlerton Stadium for the Eagles / Oldham game.  Stood next to me and my Grandad were two burly blokes and a blonde woman in a big long coat. The players ran out and I think it was Paul Round's birthday that day.  The woman next to me whips off her coat to reveal that she was topless and wearing stockings/suspenders with the Oldham colours pinned to the top on each leg.

The woman ran onto the pitch, jiggled around Paul Round a bit, gave him a kiss and then ran off again before making her exit with the burly guys.

My Grandad was speechless and managed to spill his coffee down his coat in all the excitement.  I don't think he ever got over that incident! :)   

Don't know what year this was but I was at Owlerton Stadium for the Eagles / Oldham game. Stood next to me and my Grandad were two burly blokes and a blonde woman in a big long coat. The players ran out and I think it was Paul Round's birthday that day. The woman next to me whips off her coat to reveal that she was topless and wearing stockings/suspenders with the Oldham colours pinned to the top on each leg.

The woman ran onto the pitch, jiggled around Paul Round a bit, gave him a kiss and then ran off again before making her exit with the burly guys.

My Grandad was speechless and managed to spill his coffee down his coat in all the excitement. I don't think he ever got over that incident! :)

hope it didn't put Roundy off his game!

Don't know what year this was but I was at Owlerton Stadium for the Eagles / Oldham game.  Stood next to me and my Grandad were two burly blokes and a blonde woman in a big long coat. The players ran out and I think it was Paul Round's birthday that day.  The woman next to me whips off her coat to reveal that she was topless and wearing stockings/suspenders with the Oldham colours pinned to the top on each leg.

My Grandad was speechless and managed to spill his coffee down his coat in all the excitement.  I don't think he ever got over that incident! :)   

This is one of the stories I always bring up when I talk about the old away day trips me and my mates used to have. It's a very fond memory to have. It was quality that day.....

This is one of the stories I always bring up when I talk about the old away day trips me and my mates used to have. It's a very fond memory to have. It was quality that day.....

It's great that you were there too and we have a shared memory.   The older I get the more I realise that throw away incidents actually represent a window on the past.  Some blonde girl from yesteryear possibly doesn't know that she's the subject of conversation in 2016.  Well done her and her jiggly body. 

If we every build a new stadium in Oldham i will demand the return of the walk back of the teams from the main stand to the changing rooms through the crowd.Many interesting events occurred with away team players and home team players over the years. Mucho verbal abuse tee hee

A foot from Les Boyd between pavilion steps and players entrance...It doesn`t get much scarier than that, unless Brian Hogan was in our squad that day! 

It beggars belief that Oldham could lose such a touchstone...Watersheddings was very special for me in the 80`s!

Nevertheless...

Bower Fold ticks a lot of + boxes 

what of Whitebank if ORLFC stay up?

safe to say the saga continues...

Two memories. More rumours were spread from the steps of the old pavillion than anywhere else in the world I'm sure. When Shedding was demolished I was given, by the demolition team, one of the boards with the team names on from the scoreboard. The Leigh board still adorns my garage wall. Her indoors won't allow it on the lounge wall.

The walk of shame always haunts me to this day. My dad was a latics fan and when I was playing rugby he said he would close the curtains if I was playing in his back garden rather than watch but nevertheless he came to see me play once when my team played at Sheddings. He was on the wall near the dugouts and he overheard me refer to him as The Old Man to a team mate as we waited for our kicker to put over a conversion. I am sorry to say we beat Oldham that day . I say sorry for I have been an Oldham fan since I was 8 but was never good enough to play for them. As we walked up behind the stands after the game I got quite a bit of abuse from the Oldham fans then felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Dad who said if I ever hear you call me the old man again I'll give you a good hidng. If I could have crawled into a hole I would have done. But such a fond memory of the old place

Archived