Blake Solly returning to NRL to join South Sydney Rabbitohs

<p>Super League General Manager Blake Solly is to leave the RFL to take over as Chief Executive of NRL club the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Solly, who began his career with</p>

<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.totalrl.com/solly-returning-nrl-join-south-sydney-rabbitohs/">Sollyreturning to NRL to join South Sydney Rabbitohs</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.totalrl.com">Rugby League News, Forum & Features</a>.</p>

View the full article on TotalRL.com

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

Going to join South Sydney as CEO.

Big loss to the RFL I feel.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's an interesting one with Solly, as I literally have no clue what his role entails and what he has delivered as SLGM.

I suppose we had a strong Magic Weekend and a sellout Grand Final, but we were way off his target of 10 sellouts, and tbh there seemed very little effort to even get to that number.

Does anybody know more about what his role was and what he achieved?

It's an interesting one with Solly, as I literally have no clue what his role entails and what he has delivered as SLGM.

I suppose we had a strong Magic Weekend and a sellout Grand Final, but we were way off his target of 10 sellouts, and tbh there seemed very little effort to even get to that number.

Does anybody know more about what his role was and what he achieved?

I have always wondered the same... 

Good for Solly.  Always struck me (met him a couple of times) as having some integrity and ability.  At least in comparison with some others. Whether both attributes could survive unscathed any protracted stint at Rot Hall is maybe a moot point?

What now?  Well cynics might suggest either Wood will add the job to his existing portfolio (and bank balance...) or one of his placemen will get appointed to it.  Fortunately, no-one has ever accused me of being a cynic, so I can say with a perfectly straight face that I fully expect, after a fair and open recruitment process, an outstanding impartial and capable individual will be appointed.

No, really.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Obviously Solly has done nothing for the game. That's why one of the NRL's biggest clubs have offered him a job as CEO.  :ph34r:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obviously Solly has done nothing for the game. That's why one of the NRL's biggest clubs have offered him a job as CEO.  :ph34r:

To be fair, by the same logic Souths employed Shane Richardson after he bankrupted Gateshead within a year and forced an acrimonious merger on two sets of fans etc. (which pretty much accounted to bailing out to Hull). 

Good for Solly.  Always struck me (met him a couple of times) as having some integrity and ability.  At least in comparison with some others. Whether both attributes could survive unscathed any protracted stint at Rot Hall is maybe a moot point?

I agree with this he did come across well. I hope he is looking forward to being able to plan a 24-game season with bye rounds and a full 4 months off-season for his club. He will also find that every minute doesn't have to matter if you have a growing game.

Good luck to Mr Solly in his new role, Can't possibly be worse than that John Lee failure he's replacing.

Thought Solly was the only potential bright spark within the RFL hierarchy. Will be interesting to see who they replace him with, if they replace him. Maybe Sally Bolton's name will come up.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

"Marketing director Mark Foster serve as interim Super League general manager while the RFL begin the search for a successor."

I hope they find someone quick with the Marketing Director having to step up to the plate in the interim... tough doing more than one job when events like MW, Challenge Cup and Internationals are starting to appear on the horizon.

Where can we apply for the job?

Genuine question. Does anybody on here think they have the skills and experience to apply?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

You would have thought a position of such importance would have a reasonably lengthy notice period, usually 3 months. With Solly starting his role with Souths in May it sounds like he's only got to work a months notice, or the RFL have known for a couple of months.. so hopefully they'd be quite far into the recruitment process, but don't envisage having a replacement in place in the next month.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just looking at the recruitment page for the RFL and it makes for interesting reading.

There is a Club Marketing and Business Operations Manager - salary of up to £36k, but the interesting thing is that they require experience working for either a governing body for RL, or an SL or NRL club.

Rugby League - the local game for local people. Outsiders not welcome.

Well as he's leaving a governing body job for a club job, then this demotion is highly appropriate.

May be getting out before he gets chucked out by the Super league clubs.

Anyone know who sanctioned Wood's extended more lucrative contract?

I don't like conspiracies but one has occurred

Wood gets a new contract, Solly (who by the way drove the 3 X 8 system into place) decides to leave for south Sydney in the footsteps of Richardson at what appears to be a drop of a hat - no natural or sought successor for what is I would have thought quite a sensitive role within SL so may have caught the RFL on the hop.

His background as a lawyer and his extensive involvement in the RFL seems to have been the selling points for South, bear in mind its now well into the season so whatever he does at Souths will in a way have been pre-ordained as part of this years business plans, so its possibly a step on the road to a full NRL role, in which case good news I suspect. if its just a knee jerk to poor financial figures at Souths, well its a good job for him if nothing else.. And its a top job in Aus for him to go back to. Well done.

Timing seems odd though.

I agree the marketing director stepping up at this time of year is a bit odd as well

At least we have Hetherington et al to steer the boat with the nominal head of SL off down under - it might be a long wait before we get a GM of SL!

Just looking at the recruitment page for the RFL and it makes for interesting reading.

There is a Club Marketing and Business Operations Manager - salary of up to £36k, but the interesting thing is that they require experience working for either a governing body for RL, or an SL or NRL club.

Just reinforces the stereotype the game is insular... I could think of a lot of people in my area of employment who could bring a lot of experience to that role despite knowing little about RL.

Just reinforces the stereotype the game is insular... I could think of a lot of people in my area of employment who could bring a lot of experience to that role despite knowing little about RL.

Indeed. To actually name those two leagues only, not even lower leagues, or football, or sport in general.

Quite simply, pathetic.

Up to...... £36k or $70 aussie dollars is going to attract who?

That's the Salary of a run of the mill Sales Rep in many places.

The minimum player payment in the NRL next year is $85k Au.

It does not make sense.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived