Rant thread

16 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Trumps trial lasted 2 weeks  , He was fined $9,000........what was the point , Heaven knows how much the trial cost , what a waste of time and money .

Out of curiosity what news sources are you using?

On 01/05/2024 at 09:49, ivans82 said:

BBC in passing i must admit .

That's just the fine for his contempt of court - the actual trial is still in progress.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In the vast majority of TV dramas and films the person involved will receive a message on his/her mobile and look to see what it says .  ......Unless you have a TV screen the size of the Albert Hall and eye sight akin to a Peregrine Falcon you can`t read it......please start putting a caption underneath  .  Thank you .

Edited by ivans82

• 2 weeks later...

Not much on TV last night anyway , but Election announced , schedules altered lots of people talking it to death for hours on end , be prepared for lots of the same for the next few months and most of the people just repeating endlessly what they have said the day before . Luckily it`s summer so i`ll be out walking most nights and i wont need to watch the telly much .

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Not much on TV last night anyway , but Election announced , schedules altered lots of people talking it to death for hours on end , be prepared for lots of the same for the next few months 

Be grateful you live in a country where elections only take 6 weeks. The Americans have to put up with a whole year of it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Be grateful you live in a country where elections only take 6 weeks. The Americans have to put up with a whole year of it.

As do we , yes they are the World police but I am not interested in a year long campaign from across the pond.

Did their news channels report our election date yesterday ? , doubtfull.

35 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

As do we , yes they are the World police but I am not interested in a year long campaign from across the pond.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/22/uk/uk-early-elections-sunak-conservatives-intl/index.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

57 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Morning Joe did a segment on it so at least power brokers in Washington have learned about it if nobody else.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It seems like every time I need to actually go to a bank, I have to travel further and further.

Partly because the nearest half dozen have either been closed or turned into Barclays Locals. "Local" translates as "No, we don't do that. Or that. Did you enjoy queuing for ages to find out?"

Partly because the remaining proper branches don't offer counter service on weekends any more. Which is scummery of the highest order as it more or less forces you to take time off work just to visit the bank when it's really busy unless you live really close to a branch.

Partly because the nearest proper branch was closed for some reason and "might open at 10:40am. Maybe." It was 9:30am at the time.

I eventually found a branch that could provide the very basic thing I required and got home, after two hours, thanks to the normally decent local bus services crapping out. I'm in the nation's capital, not miles out in the country.

Bring on these 15-minute cities that all the ghastliest of windbags seem to be protesting against. Bring them on a.s.a.f.p.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/05/2024 at 22:52, JohnM said:

Conveyancing solicitors 

That is all.

Oh, and Purple Bricks.

Just seen this but the industry is now a factory more than a personal service. Fees being low has forced this trend somewhat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I eventually found a branch that could provide the very basic thing I required and got home, after two hours, thanks to the normally decent local bus services crapping out. I'm in the nation's capital, not miles out in the country.

Blimey. I'm about an hours drive from the nearest branch of my bank, but I do live properly out in the sticks.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Blimey. I'm about an hours drive from the nearest branch of my bank, but I do live properly out in the sticks.

One of the things I notice is that each time I need to visit a branch, that one's usually been shut down by the next time.

So I'd like to apologise in advance to the people of Hampstead, in case I really am the Typhoid Mary of the financial sector.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson