Whitehaven in trouble , time for outside help in running club finances?

Well for starters getting more schools playing the game.

Sorry mate but we've been through this on the development threads.

In the end you can push the kids to run around with a Rugby ball at school because they are told to do it, you can then push those that are more interested into the local junior game but can you sustain the interest? Even with dedicated development officers it's tough.

The secretary of the Maryport club only the other week said in the RL press that the kids that do play JARL (and there's not many now) tend to give it up at 16 and this is leading to the senior Cumbria clubs playing numbers dropping.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to increase playing participation, if "Cumbria" had implanted into it a Superleague Stadium at a cost of many £Millions, and ran with a wholly imported team of decent players for a few years who could compete, I am sure that could inspire more kids to play.

But how would that in any way provide any of the £Millions needed to build the stadium and pay the running costs of the club?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondered how long it would be before Parky popped up.

We had this discussion a few months ago when Workington were asking for help and I plumped for a Cumbrian club with existing clubs acting as a feeder.

Parky then mentioned at how we would be peeing off a few hundred die hard fans. Well those die hard fans are quite literally dying off and not being replaced.

I for one will not enjoy watching crowds dwindle to nothing and the club eventually die but some will say that we should not intefere with tradition .... so hey ho!

Right Im off shopping now.

100% agree with this, I'm certain the vast majority of fans left at town are realistic enough to understand our position and would wholeheartedly accept us feeding into a Cumbria super league club. Rl is no longer a Sunday game, and if timed correctly (and priced) then having the sl club home one week.and the feeder club the next could work well.

Aren't Sky going to show some Championship games nex season?

From little acorns etc.

Been lumped on a couple of press releases but crucially not by Sky themselves.

However, Cumbrians do seem to love their SL on Sky - at top level there is still a lot of interest in the game up there. You can get decent crowds at amateur level too, so the problem for Whitehaven and Workington is to get people to watch at club level and I, unfortunately, can't see how that will improve any time soon.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Sorry mate but we've been through this on the development threads.

In the end you can push the kids to run around with a Rugby ball at school because they are told to do it, you can then push those that are more interested into the local junior game but can you sustain the interest? Even with dedicated development officers it's tough.

The secretary of the Maryport club only the other week said in the RL press that the kids that do play JARL (and there's not many now) tend to give it up at 16 and this is leading to the senior Cumbria clubs playing numbers dropping.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to increase playing participation, if "Cumbria" had implanted into it a Superleague Stadium at a cost of many £Millions, and ran with a wholly imported team of decent players for a few years who could compete, I am sure that could inspire more kids to play.

But how would that in any way provide any of the £Millions needed to build the stadium and pay the running costs of the club?

You can't make them. However the more opportunities they have to play the better. If a club or governing body sends paid people into a school for instance that doesn't play RL and offers them time to teach it. What happens then?

Copied from  Whitehaven's Forum, statement from the club regarding this issue:

Stories circulating yesterday that WRLFC2010 was issued a winding up order from HRMC, the winding up petition was issued against WRLFC2012 ,

to our knowledge no such company exists and the winding up order was withdrawn, the club can confirm there are no outstanding payments owed
to HRMC from WRLFC 2010.
The club is moving forward in a progressive and positive light as shown in recent weeks and the squad that has been assembled. We look forward to
a great season ahead with plenty of support from the local community.

Posted on behalf of,

Tom Todd
Chairman WRLFC 2010

Cumbria is dead, should all merge and be based in Carlisle

You really are clueless,so merge two clubs and move them 50 miles away to a small city that has no rugby league being played in it,yeah that's the answer to Cumbria's problems.

Wondered how long it would be before Parky popped up.

We had this discussion a few months ago when Workington were asking for help and I plumped for a Cumbrian club with existing clubs acting as a feeder.

Parky then mentioned at how we would be peeing off a few hundred die hard fans. Well those die hard fans are quite literally dying off and not being replaced.

I for one will not enjoy watching crowds dwindle to nothing and the club eventually die but some will say that we should not intefere with tradition .... so hey ho!

Why shouldn't I or anybody else on here "pop up"

By "Cumbrian club" did you mean to say Cumbrian Superleague club??

100% agree with this, I'm certain the vast majority of fans left at town are realistic enough to understand our position and would wholeheartedly accept us feeding into a Cumbria super league club. Rl is no longer a Sunday game, and if timed correctly (and priced) then having the sl club home one week.and the feeder club the next could work well.

What SL club?? there is no Cumbrian Superleague club, there has never been the will for one, there is no money for one, there is no suitable ground for one, there isn't the population for one, and the RFL wrote the idea off several years ago.

You two can keep having a pop all you like but I'm gonna post reality stuff like it or not.

You can't make them. However the more opportunities they have to play the better. If a club or governing body sends paid people into a school for instance that doesn't play RL and offers them time to teach it. What happens then?

Yes it's great if we give opportunities to kids to play RL. Fantastic. My point always is do it. 

But don't pay people good money to go do it places where there is less return for that money. 

If we are talking Cumbria the game is struggling as Paul Williamson of Maryport says, Paul Farrel who co-ordinates the Cumbria schools game is keen to regenerate the game in west Cumbria, and hopefully they will get their act together, but they haven't managed that in the two years since a 2014 report into the matter, and the game's dwindling.

But the proposition put to me was there should be a "long term plan" to set up a "Cumbria SL team" with rejuvinating the "schools" game being the start of it.

But how is that the start of setting up an SL club? If the local authorities pay for a modern ground and if a rich man comes in and pays for the running costs of a potential SL club then that may be the start, in fact that may lead to more kids and adults playing.

Not the other way round.

You really are clueless,so merge two clubs and move them 50 miles away to a small city that has no rugby league being played in it,yeah that's the answer to Cumbria's problems.

But Carlisle is a global brand that is the gateway to Scotland, a SL franchise would ignite interest and I could see gates of about 10k average and a huge chunk of that being Scottish. Scotland RL would benefit from all the borders towns switching to league and having 2/3 games a season in Hawick. You flat capers are killing our sport

No it cannot be done.

There isn't the money for a stadium

There isn't the interest from local people playing the game any more.

There isn't the population to ever get the crowds.

What is this "Long term plan"

And my glass is half empty.

And it's raining.

And my tea's gone cold!

And the wife's not happy! :D

I do hope the Haven land on their feet.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

But Carlisle is a global brand that is the gateway to Scotland, a SL franchise would ignite interest and I could see gates of about 10k average and a huge chunk of that being Scottish. Scotland RL would benefit from all the borders towns switching to league and having 2/3 games a season in Hawick. You flat capers are killing our sport

I know it's a Friday,but it's a bit early to be on the source isn't it.

Union is far more popular than league in Scotland and their pro clubs both average under 5k. Don't you feel the need for your ideas to have any connection with reality?

Listen to the Leigh fan as the all seeing eye.Sorrys there's only one thing killing OUR game and it's certainly not fans of clubs like town or haven.Its the ineptitude of those running it paying themselves 250k a year while over seeing the decline of the game .If some like Barry huren or even koukash had control of our game ,we may not like everything the do ,but it would no longer be a minority sport .I'm all for progress if it being run by those capable of delivering it.Unfortunally fat boy woods and the like couldn't deliver a pizza

Listen to the Leigh fan as the all seeing eye.Sorrys there's only one thing killing OUR game and it's certainly not fans of clubs like town or haven.Its the ineptitude of those running it paying themselves 250k a year while over seeing the decline of the game .If some like Barry huren or even koukash had control of our game ,we may not like everything the do ,but it would no longer be a minority sport .I'm all for progress if it being run by those capable of delivering it.Unfortunally fat boy woods and the like couldn't deliver a pizza

Who's Barry Huren?

is he the guy off the Cillit Bang adverts?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Who's Barry Huren?

is he the guy off the Cillit Bang adverts?

That's barry Scott a legend in the cleaning world.

https://youtu.be/WGooQ8yYC0c

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

As someone on the ground then, what do you think needs to be done to fix the situation?  

First off if Cumbria had half the help and money the likes of London,wales France etc have had over the years ,there would now be a flourishing SL club with town and haven as feeders.

We have there different leagues with 3 different formats ....which other sport has this .

You need a solid base at amateurs and professionals level.Make sure these a solid and financial viable before pushing the expansion route.

My prediction is once Toronto and Toulouse are in SL ,P and R( I call it that though isnt) will be no more again,until some other far flung teams decide they fancy it

No it cannot be done.

There isn't the money for a stadium

There isn't the interest from local people playing the game any more.

There isn't the population to ever get the crowds.

What is this "Long term plan"

Basically they might as well give up now because they're completely ed

They say no they don't want to play it because there's no future in the game; besides there's no money to do it, and these new schools will never produce any decent standard players so it's a complete waste of time

The game is riding the crest of a wave everywhere bar Cumbria, look at the thriving sport in Chile as an example.

Archived