Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

19 Feb: World Club Challenge: Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks KO 3pm (TV)

Who will win the World Club Challenge?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Club Challenge?

• Cronulla Sharks by 13 points or more
    • Cronulla Sharks by 7 to 12 points
    • Cronulla Sharks by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

5 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I'm sorry to say that Bateman would come off second best in that contest. Fifita is a beast.

End result both probably sent off = Advantage Wigan

3 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Wouldn't that prove Shane Flanagan right? ;)

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if that results in Wigan getting the win.

Who's the ref for this game? Hope who ever it is he gives the SL side a fair go unlike the last couple of seasons.

Like all WCC games the SL team has a chance if they are at the top of their game. My worry as always is if Wigan are bit off their game or just have a bad start it could be a 30+ point defeat. 

I see they have set the main games kick off time to also attract the Aussies fans downunder.

Maybe a Friday and Saturday night game may get them up early to watch it like the Warrington v Broncos game, even if it was 7pm.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Who's the ref for this game? Hope who ever it is he gives the SL side a fair go unlike the last couple of seasons.

Why wouldn't an English Ref give the home side a fair go?

Surely its not the old "intimidated by the Aussies or wants a job in the NRL" rubbish that gets sprouted again and again, we need a Ref from Toronto to make people here happy.

I would like to think he would be professional and referee the game to the rules for any side on the field.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

12 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

1. I'm sure you already know that I was referring to the mans 12 month suspension from the game being a reflection of him and the worth of his opinion on anything RL. your just playing silly buggers I know.

2. Does this mean you don't like me prophet ? Please say it isn't true!

Back to the game I believe John Bateman should be given a free pass to go after Fifita .  Take Fifita out of the game and Wigan win. What do you think sporty?

No, you said after his comment, "this coming from the coach..." as if what he had said was in some way high and mighty, hypocrisy, or judgemental. None of it was. You are talking in absolute lunacy ?

and that is not to say I don't like you. Everyone likes a clown. It's just I am happy to call out hypocritical nonsense when I hear/see it ?

As for Australian's not buying into the concept... looks like a fair few spare seats for a very tiny capacity stadium. Probably a smaller crowd than the average Sydney crowd for those who throw stones.

good win Warrington though. Controlled the game when it needed it.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Well done Warrington.

Brown will get most of the plaudits and deservedly so but for me Gidley's performance was flawless. He defused every bomb and ruined Brisbane's attacking options. What a player he is.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sam Thaiday "we've got a few things we need to fix".

probably not the words of a player whose mind was on a must win concept

Didn't take long. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Robert Hicks with Phil Bentham the VR

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Did anyone else catch Wally Lewis's comments after the Warrington v Broncos game regarding Wigan? I thought they where very interesting & a real eye opener for those who think test matches are the pinnacle of our sport. Wally says they feared Wigan more than England on those old Kangaroo tours & also said there the greatest club side in the world. That's a fair wrap from one of the very best to ever play the sport.

Will normal service be resumed today ?

Cronulla even before last night have greater motivatiion than other NRL sides, Carved out of St George territory in 1967. They share with Wigan a feral loathihg of sides with a Red Vee (see my pic below from round 1 last year). Cronulla's off field problems and on field issues with players have been prominent in the last few years but it's also true to say that on Australian RL messageboards when thought goes into which Sydney clubs should be relocated  its Sharkies prominent in being moved to Perth, Gosford, and all points north and west. So the chance to be not only premiers but also WCC holders and parade the trophy round shark park or whatever name the newly renovated boutique ground in Cronulla has these days, would be relished a lot more than it would be by a side that reguilarily wins the premiership.

It true to say that Wigan are the name that resonates down under. it's the name that resonates with them,, though Warringtion have given themselves a great chance of a gig down under next year last night, However IMO Wigan without Matty Smith, Dan Sarginson, Josh Carnley andb styill without Sam Tomkins are not the side they were last season and if there was any complacency in the Sharks camp about this game last night dispeled that.

Normal service will be resumed this afternoon I'm afraid but knowing my tipping record that should give Wigan a boost

DSC_0345 (3).JPG

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sam Thaiday "we've got a few things we need to fix".

probably not the words of a player whose mind was on a must win concept

After a defeat it sounds like exactly what id want my players to be saying.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

As for Australian's not buying into the concept... looks like a fair few spare seats for a very tiny capacity stadium. Probably a smaller crowd than the average Sydney crowd for those who throw stones.

I dont think there has been criticism of the Aussie fans - the Roosters v Wigan game had an excellent turnout in Sydney. Its the clubs and administrators.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I dont think there has been criticism of the Aussie fans - the Roosters v Wigan game had an excellent turnout in Sydney. Its the clubs and administrators.

Maybe not from yourself DT, but certainly plenty of criticism has been directed at the Aussies on these forums for not getting behind international opportunities.

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Hey mate you are aware 12,000 odd Warrington supporter attended the game right, That is actually more fans than your club Cronulla have even after winning there first premiership in there long and boring history. Anyone who thinks I'm just stirring my mate up just look at the NRL membership.

23 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Maybe not from yourself DT, but certainly plenty of criticism has been directed at the Aussies on these forums for not getting behind international opportunities.

Maybe, im not aware of it being too prominent here, ive been in Brisbane with 50k for the WC final, but the week before was in Sydney with 16k for the Kangaroos semi - so i suppose Sydney fans have maybe taken a bashing, with some merit.

I think the Aussie fans in general have shown that if organised well they will support attractive international comps.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Hopefully that game last night can give Wigan a bit extra confidence. Come on Wigan!

It should but I am not sure Wigan have the ability to play quite like Warrington did last night. Warrington laid the platform through some solid defence and excellent work in the forwards. Wigan clearly can mirror that as their game is based on this. But it was Warrington's ability to move the ball quickly across to the flanks on the back of that go forward that allowed them to excel last night. Wigan on the other hand are much more ponderous when shifting the ball and won't be able to break down Cronulla as easily in my opinion. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

5 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Did anyone else catch Wally Lewis's comments after the Warrington v Broncos game regarding Wigan? I thought they where very interesting & a real eye opener for those who think test matches are the pinnacle of our sport. Wally says they feared Wigan more than England on those old Kangaroo tours & also said there the greatest club side in the world. That's a fair wrap from one of the very best to ever play the sport.

Wigan supporters should have a search for the commentary from Wally after the Wire v Bronc's game it obvious he holds your club in very high regard.

Might as well get ourselves in the mood I suppose...

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...