Commonwealth Games - 2022

Durban has been stripped of the 2022 Commonwealth Games and Liverpool has expressed an interest in hosting. If successful and it is staged on Merseyside this could present a great opportunity for our game to showcase itself, even if it is only as a 'demonstration' sport. Two days of 9s at Langtree Park would be great.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds should be right on with these event, were massive for manchester and Glasgow 

Leeds has 2 relatively poor stadiums and doesn't even have an Olympic sized swimming pool so how would that work?

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Leeds has 2 relatively poor stadiums and doesn't even have an Olympic sized swimming pool so how would that work?

For a city aiming to compete with Manchester to be "capital" of the north surely it would take some ambitious thinking, but not a lot. 

29 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What stadium would they use in Liverpool for the athletics?

The news report said that Liverpool had expressed an interest in hosting. I guess they'd go cap-in-hand to the Gov. for funding for an athletics venue (and for several others). 

Could offer some interesting other opportunities for RL, such as taking over the running of the hockey venue after the games and creating a C1 club to play there.

2 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The news report said that Liverpool had expressed an interest in hosting. I guess they'd go cap-in-hand to the Gov. for funding for an athletics venue (and for several others). 

Could offer some interesting other opportunities for RL, such as taking over the running of the hockey venue after the games and creating a C1 club to play there.

Yes, possibly.

There's a lot of far eastern money being ploughed into projects in Liverpool, particularly around the Waterfront area.

I wonder whether an athletics venue might be tied into whatever happens as a new stadium for Everton FC - that could have potential uses for RL in the future as say a Magic weekend, international venue etc.

2 hours ago, Moose said:

And if that wasn't available it's got the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, unlike Liverpool which...oh, hang on...

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, possibly.

There's a lot of far eastern money being ploughed into projects in Liverpool, particularly around the Waterfront area.

I wonder whether an athletics venue might be tied into whatever happens as a new stadium for Everton FC - that could have potential uses for RL in the future as say a Magic weekend, international venue etc.

That's how the Etihad got built, Manchester city council built for the 2002 commonwealth games with a view to turning into a football ground afterwards with Man City as tenants 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

8 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I bet Sheffield regrets knocking down the Don Valley Stadium.

I was just scrolling down thinking I would post the same thing when I reached the bottom of the page!!!

19 hours ago, DoubleD said:

They had/have (not sure) a 50m International Pool.  I sat some RL courses there some years ago, but it was in a poor state then.

Maybe use Odsal?

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

They had/have (not sure) a 50m International Pool.  I sat some RL courses there some years ago, but it was in a poor state then.

Maybe use Odsal?

They built an Olympic sized one in the 60s but got the dimensions wrong and after it was tiled it was too short of 50m so couldn't hold international events. It's now been demolished.

I didn't realise there was now a replacement at John Charles centre

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They built an Olympic sized one in the 60s but got the dimensions wrong and after it was tiled it was too short of 50m so couldn't hold international events. It's now been demolished.

I didn't realise there was now a replacement at John Charles centre

Held a lot of gala's there.  Didn't know it was short and you would have thought they'd have learned the lesson at Hull, where they built one 33 1/3 yards to then find, by the time it was finished, the distance had changed from 100yds to 100m.

19 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, possibly.

There have been on-off-on proposals for years, regarding a new home for Liverpool FC as well and, seeing what happened in Manchester, both clubs would probably be competing to have a nice new stadium to inherit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There have been on-off-on proposals for years, regarding a new home for Liverpool FC as well and, seeing what happened in Manchester, both clubs would probably be competing to have a nice new stadium to inherit.

Liverpool FC are redeveloping Anfield now , already done 1 stand and working on the next so can't see them moving. They got a compulsory purchase for some of the houses nearby passed

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Designed by John Poulson, who ended up in the nick, alongside at least one Bradford Councillor.

Bent councillors in Bradford? Whodathunkit?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Liverpool FC are redeveloping Anfield now , already done 1 stand and working on the next so can't see them moving. They got a compulsory purchase for some of the houses nearby passed

Oh, I didn't realise they'd actually got going with it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Oh, I didn't realise they'd actually got going with it.

Aye there's a huge new main stand now, it's upped the capacity to about 55k and they're doing more. Did you not see it in the 4 nations final?

Archived