22 Apr: SL: Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity KO 3pm (TV)

1 hour ago, Aldo1980 said:

Obviously it would be a stretch of elastic proportions to suggest Brown has "hit the ground running" in a Wire shirt. However, his start has been disrupted by poor team form, as well as personal injury. I think he will still prove to be an astute signing.

hate to say it but you're probably right. One week he'll show some class and single handedly run the show and win the game for you. And all the wire fans will be like "see I knew he'd come good", then he might be quiet for a few games and you'll wonder where he went

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another competitive and entertaining game holding attention right to the end . Must say I thought wakey were largely the better side but seemed to run out of gas a bit and couldn't close the game out . Warrington pretty unimpressive in the main but it's all about the points , especially in their position , and getting into a winning habit again . Wakey sometimes seem to lack that instinct when  I see them despite a great effort . I agree this commentary team isn't really working . Cummings says the ref is right , Eddie recycles more than the council , Barry seems to struggle with coherent speech , and Terry tags on to every player comment that they are great , gonna be great , in top form or are really strong . Needs a shake up 

Thoroughly enjoyed this game, with the outcome uncertain until till the very end. Great performance from Wakefield, but in the end just not quite strong enough.  Some signs of Brown starting to perform. Dissapointing with Wires kicking game, though. Generally rugby league kicking game is poor across the game.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Another competitive and entertaining game holding attention right to the end . Must say I thought wakey were largely the better side but seemed to run out of gas a bit and couldn't close the game out . Warrington pretty unimpressive in the main but it's all about the points , especially in their position , and getting into a winning habit again . Wakey sometimes seem to lack that instinct when  I see them despite a great effort . I agree this commentary team isn't really working . Cummings says the ref is right , Eddie recycles more than the council , Barry seems to struggle with coherent speech , and Terry tags on to every player comment that they are great , gonna be great , in top form or are really strong . Needs a shake up 

Really good post, just how I saw it. 

Do any other sports have such extremely critical commentary like ours? 

18 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Really good post, just how I saw it. 

Do any other sports have such extremely critical commentary like ours? 

The Football commentator Alan Green on Radio 5 always gives me the impression that, at heart, he really doesn't like the game. Always moaning about something.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this game, with the outcome uncertain until till the very end. Great performance from Wakefield, but in the end just not quite strong enough.  Some signs of Brown starting to perform. Dissapointing with Wires kicking game, though. Generally rugby league kicking game is poor across the game.

I've always wondered why a team opts to punt lamely into touch after a penalty rather than boot it another twenty yards down the pitch. Why ask your players to expend that energy making up the ground that a well drilled kick Jonny Wilkinson stylee would do for nothing?

16 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I've always wondered why a team opts to punt lamely into touch after a penalty rather than boot it another twenty yards down the pitch. Why ask your players to expend that energy making up the ground that a well drilled kick Jonny Wilkinson stylee would do for nothing?

Halifax seem to be making plenty of metres with their penalty kicks to touch. They must have made 40 metres in the last minute of the half and that wasn't the only one.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

wakey were best team - blunder by thaler to give a tackled in the air penalty when it clearly wasn't and yet another botched play the ball by fifita handed victory to wire

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Warrington aren't playing that well, but for a team not playing well to have won 4 and drawn one of their previous 5 games we have to be doing something right!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

wakey were best team

I kept hearing this and I was surprised to see that Wire had scored more tries and dominated territory. Warrington were trundling up the field for fun.

Despite 19 errors by Warrington Wakefield didnt capitalise.

How exactly were Wakefield the better team? Making fewer mistakes is an admirable stat but thats it.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I kept hearing this and I was surprised to see that Wire had scored more tries and dominated territory. Warrington were trundling up the field for fun.

How exactly were Wakefield the better team? Making fewer mistakes is an admirable stat but thats it.

im not a wakey fan but when 2 players go up for a ball and thaler shouts penalty  for in the air tackle  -its a game changer in a match that's already been won by honest rl graft on the field- so am gonna feel a bit sorry for em, yer they got the wrong fifita twin but that's what happens when u take a punt on nrl duds

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

im not a wakey fan but when 2 players go up for a ball and thaler shouts penalty  for in the air tackle  -its a game changer in a match that's already been won by honest rl graft on the field- so am gonna feel a bit sorry for em, yer they got the wrong fifita twin but that's what happens when u take a punt on nrl duds

I watched the TV coverage after getting back and although you can feel for Trinity the TV clearly shows Johnstone grab Evans on the head after failing to get the ball. On the referee and his team at the match the crowd thought he gave most calls against Warrington but when watching back he was generally correct. 

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wakey are usually the underdog and we all root for the underdog so, you can keep your match facts and shove them somewhere okay?

Anyway, if Wire made 19 errors that just shows that Wakey were the better team!

Do summat useful like going out and throwing a few bob into the cap of that kilt wearing, bagpipe playing bloke outside Waverley station instead of disagreeing with folk on here who are obviously right.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

19 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

You mean kick the ball then fall on the floor clutching your leg before missing the rest of the season?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I thought this was a bad loss for Wakey from a commanding position

Catalans, Wakey, Saints and Wire are in a 4 way struggle to avoid the Middle 8s. A win for Wakey at Wire would have been a big step forward

As it stands, its very close between those 4

I still think it will be Saints for the Middle 8s

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

There was nothing wrong with that deciaion, the reverse angle replay clearly showed him interfering with Evans' head.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Wakey are usually the underdog and we all root for the underdog so, you can keep your match facts and shove them somewhere okay?

Anyway, if Wire made 19 errors that just shows that Wakey were the better team!

Do summat useful like going out and throwing a few bob into the cap of that kilt wearing, bagpipe playing bloke outside Waverley station instead of disagreeing with folk on here who are obviously right.

:biggrin:

I think your first paragraph is right and im cool with that, its human nature to side with the underdog i think but i only watched the game afterwards after i had read some of the comments here and i was a touch suepriswd tbh. Moreso with the commentators who were vying for an away win.

More breaks, more metres, more tries. If you cant beat a team who make 19 errors then i find it hard to ever describe them as the better team or unlucky.

I think the most balances commenta have been from the Wakey fans tbh.

Ill throw a quid in his sporran for you too mate.

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Football commentator Alan Green on Radio 5 always gives me the impression that, at heart, he really doesn't like the game. Always moaning about something.

Yes, I'd forgotten about him.
"Here we are in the Barcelona sunshine. I'm getting paid to watch world class sportsmen at their peak, and quite frankly, it's an absolute disgrace".

11 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Yes, I'd forgotten about him.
"Here we are in the Barcelona sunshine. I'm getting paid to watch world class sportsmen at their peak, and quite frankly, it's an absolute disgrace".

It is enough to make you suspect he's actually a Rugby League fan...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

:biggrin:

I think your first paragraph is right and im cool with that, its human nature to side with the underdog i think but i only watched the game afterwards after i had read some of the comments here and i was a touch suepriswd tbh. Moreso with the commentators who were vying for an away win.

More breaks, more metres, more tries. If you cant beat a team who make 19 errors then i find it hard to ever describe them as the better team or unlucky.

I think the most balances commenta have been from the Wakey fans tbh.

Ill throw a quid in his sporran for you too mate.

Notwithstanding letting a fourteen point lead go.

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

i had read some of the comments here and i was a touch suepriswd tbh. Moreso with the commentators who were vying for an away win.

Why on earth would you be surprised about that, Dave? 

The more this season goes on, the more I am starting to wonder if Stevo wasn't the biggest Wire fan in the Sky gantry.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Why on earth would you be surprised about that, Dave? 

The more this season goes on, the more I am starting to wonder if Stevo wasn't the biggest Wire fan in the Sky gantry.

Believe it or not i actually like Eddie and have been to many events where he has been very complimentary of our club, i just think he has a script and the overall team isnt working in adapting as the game goes on. Barrie and Terry are meh, and Clarke just sounds like he doesnt want to be there.

I actually thought it was a good game (not necessarily standard) witj some lovely tries and a wonderfully exciting finish, yet it was all pretty downbeat tbh.

Archived