Suggestion to Mr Drake re Toronto

I actually see alot in common with the number of threads about TWP and Leigh 12 months ago.

We have lots of new and passionate TWP fans keen to share what their club is up to and defend them against negativity of some more jaded fans(who can blame them)

12 months ago we had excited Leigh fans starting new threads every time an envelope was opened, every rumour of a new player, stating how they would run rampant in SL and have 4000 away fans at every game, defending their team.  etc.

Over the last 8 months and reality has hit Leigh fans have lost some that excitement and maybe as TWP meet some actual competition, face a bigger battle to sign the calibre of players they need to progress and face growing travel bills etc, they too may be more realistic.

When I say realistic, I don't want them to lose any of the passion or ambition they currently have, which I love reading about and hope to get over to see in person one day.

9 minutes ago, kiyan said:

I actually see alot in common with the number of threads about TWP and Leigh 12 months ago.

We have lots of new and passionate TWP fans keen to share what their club is up to and defend them against negativity of some more jaded fans(who can blame them)

12 months ago we had excited Leigh fans starting new threads every time an envelope was opened, every rumour of a new player, stating how they would run rampant in SL and have 4000 away fans at every game, defending their team.  etc.

Over the last 8 months and reality has hit Leigh fans have lost some that excitement and maybe as TWP meet some actual competition, face a bigger battle to sign the calibre of players they need to progress and face growing travel bills etc, they too may be more realistic.

When I say realistic, I don't want them to lose any of the passion or ambition they currently have, which I love reading about and hope to get over to see in person one day.

I was going to mention past floods of threads when clubs were on a high too. Leigh fans last year starting lots of threads about trivial stuff, Featherstone fans before they got duped by that shady investor etc. Anyone on here long enough will remember Wendall's Warrington giddiness in the later Paul Cullen coaching years.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

We now have three threads all discussing the same thing , worth merging ? 

I suppose so but it would be better if we could just get the answer on what do Toronto currently offer Superleague in reality.

All these threads and many hundreds of posts and that key point is never answered.

Once we can get our heads around the fact Toronto only exist due to a rich man, can only raise a team on imports, can only find opposition playing abroad, and despite promises to grow the Canadian game tried to do deals to buy straight into Superleague..............

..........then perhaps we can start a thread on how Toronto and other overseas clubs can enhance the Championship by not using it as a stepping stone, but a competition in which a significant and successful apprenticeship should be undertaken with growth at home being the aim.

We CAN at the same time do a fantasy thread in which we ignore all the realities and we say "let's assume Mr. Perez is right and the Canadians just lap the game up and growth suddenly mushrooms?"  What then??

Two threads?

17 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Once we can get our heads around the fact Toronto only exist due to a rich man, can only raise a team on imports, can only find opposition playing abroad, and despite promises to grow the Canadian game tried to do deals to buy straight into Superleague..............

..........then perhaps we can start a thread on how Toronto and other overseas clubs can enhance the Championship by not using it as a stepping stone, but a competition in which a significant and successful apprenticeship should be undertaken with growth at home being the aim.

We CAN at the same time do a fantasy thread in which we ignore all the realities and we say "let's assume Mr. Perez is right and the Canadians just lap the game up and growth suddenly mushrooms?"  What then??

eeeeeeeeeeeek - I can't help myself!!

Yes, Toronto do exist due to a rich man and someone with vision (are many other clubs different?). Yes, they do play with imports but have now signed a fully canadian class act in Quinn Nagawti after 15 games (don't other teams have many imports?). Yes, they are playing in the English game. Perez didn't try to do a deal to buy Widnes though. He did negotiate Toronto to enter under franchise system and that included looking at current Super League teams that may not be given a franchise. No offer was ever made to Widnes to take them over. Promotion and relegation was decided on before anything happened so they went the way of working their way up from the bottom after many, many talks with the RFL and Ralph Rimmer which included Super League entry. By the way, I talked to Mr Perez about this, I didn't read it in a paper. 

Now, if they get promoted this year, then reach the middle 8's and the win the million pound game (or get straight promotion) are you really telling me that their entry will be blocked and they will have to play in the championship again? really? The only way this could happen is if after they got promotion to SL, the RFL re-organised and either went to franchises again or cut numbers. However, can you imagine the uproar if they get promotion and are then blocked? 

46 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

I suppose so but it would be better if we could just get the answer on what do Toronto currently offer Superleague in reality.

All these threads and many hundreds of posts and that key point is never answered.

Two threads?

And there goes another thread....

10 minutes ago, Moc said:

Parky youve turned into a proper forum troll

You ask the same question again and again and again and simply ignore anyone who answers in any decent fashion

This guy is literally trolling every thread saying the exactly same thing. I (and many others) have him on ignore but everyone quotes him so what is the point? I know this forum has free speech but it is the equivalent of "I have a song that will get on your nerves"

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I know last year Leigh fans had plenty to say and yes there are more than 3 , but 3 of them have morphed into the same discussion , just make it easier to follow , that's all 

To be fair, the majority of people talking about TWP are actually amazed it is going so well. Believe it or not, many of the people who are excited about its potential were fully expecting it to be another half-baked, smoke and mirrors operation. We have been there so many times before. This feeling was there even until the first home game against Oxford. They have had dozens of hurdles to jump over and have jumped over them all so far.

People on both sides of the fence are in a bit of shock at the moment - hence the fractious debates. The optimists about "what could be" and the self preservationists about "what could be"

I agree though, maybe time for a sticky thread on all things Toronto.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

No, they discuss different things.

One discusses Martyn Sadler's report about some SL clubs reportedly being leery of Toronto being in SL.

Another is about the best SL configuration if/when they get into SL.

Another is about the potential for a breakaway to set up a separate league including Toronto, London, Toulouse, the potential new clubs whose prospective backers have approached the RFL to do what Toronto's doing and maybe a few other existing clubs if the event that they are blocked from entering SL.

58 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Any link from Parksider with evidence that Toronto tried to buy Widnes yet? I'm guessing not. 

Nope but I did offer the article in question about Widnes attracting outside investors for relocation, which to my surprise didn't mention Toronto ??

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I've done some judicious editing/locking to try and resolve this matter.

I think it is understandable that there are more threads on Toronto cropping up at the moment because it is of great interest to a lot of people for many different reasons, and we also have new forum members from Canada too who are keen to talk about the game, all of whom are very welcome on TRL.

However, I take the point that some of these threads end up going down the same route of discussion, regardless of how they started, and that can get a bit boring/irritating if you're trying to follow them all.

It would help if people used the report button the moment they see a post likely to send a thread veering off topic, as we can then try to stop that happening before a thread is ruined or becomes a duplicate discussion.

It would also help if people chose not to respond to posts which are off topic, as that also helps keep the thread on its original trajectory rather than heading off down a cul-de-sac or into a personal argy bargy.

TRL is big enough to accommodate all shades of opinion, but it is easier to follow when threads are kept on topic as much as possible, and people don't repeat the same arguments in every thread just for the sake of it.

Let's see how we go from here.

I'm locking this thread too, btw! ;)

PS: I should also point out that TRL has a dedicated Toronto Wolfpack club forum, which might be a good place to kick off a few Wolfpack related discussions in a more peaceful atmosphere.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/500-toronto-wolfpack/

Archived