New York City & Dublin to join the league?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over here we can have a Canadian, an American, a Brit and an Aussie and if the question is if we saw the football at the weekend you would have four different sports being considered.

Soccer, an English differentiation, nails it to one sport without confusion.

Can't think of anywhere else this sort of thing might be applied...I wonder...

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

English soccer fans can get precious all they want over the term football, doesn't change the fact that it covers a multitude of sports

go to France, Belgium,Germany,Italy,Holland,Sweden,Russia,....football not soccer,

3 minutes ago, owls said:

go to France, Belgium,Germany,Italy,Holland,Sweden,Russia,....football not soccer,

Yeah and go to USA, Canada & Australia and it's not Football

Nobodys right or wrong persay, all people are saying is Football can be labelled at different sports, whereas Soccer cannot

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Nobodys right or wrong persay, all people are saying is Football can be labelled at different sports, whereas Soccer cannot

exactly, as I said in the original post we are not American, the rest of the world calls it football,

I don't even like the game but I accept it is association football,

10 minutes ago, owls said:

You are on a forum in which everyone is disagreeing with you.  Being cantankerous does not make you right. 

Here is a deal:
Rather that wasting page after page on insisting that everyone else use the word you prefer, we will allow you to call the sport whatever you like and everyone else can call it whatever they like and nobody is being as ass.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, owls said:

exactly, as I said in the original post we are not American, the rest of the world calls it football,

You are dictating what a Canadian should call the sport.  You are the one being unreasonable.

No-one is insisting you call the sport either soccer or football.  You are not the victim, you are being rude by insisting someone use the words you want.

It is petty.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, owls said:

It's got absolutely nothing to do on whether we are American or not. Soccer is an accetable term for Association Football, just Football can be ambiguous 

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's got absolutely nothing to do on whether we are American or not. Soccer is an accetable term for Association Football, just Football can be ambiguous 

It is one very boring man who cannot cope with people not using the word he prefers. 

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think we should all agree to disagree.

We almost all do.  Apart from one poster who thinks we must all agree with him and that everyone else is out of step.

1 hour ago, owls said:

go on the Holt End at Villa, the Gallowgate at Newcastle, Stretford End at Manchester,

call it soccer there and you will be lynched,

I am in my 50s and soccer has NEVER been used by anyone I know of,

Incidentally, if a Canadian was taken to a match at the Gallowend, I imagine there would be some very petty and pathetic people who would make a fuss, whereas most would accept it like normal human beings.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

You are on a forum in which everyone is disagreeing with you.  Being cantankerous does not make you right. 

Here is a deal:
Rather that wasting page after page on insisting that everyone else use the word you prefer, we will allow you to call the sport whatever you like and everyone else can call it whatever they like and nobody is being as ass.

just because a few people on this forum do not agree with me does not make me cantankerous,

the whole WORLD calls it football,

1 minute ago, owls said:

just because a few people on this forum do not agree with me does not make me cantankerous,

the whole WORLD calls it football,

That is evidentally untrue.

We have Canadians here who call it soccer.  We have everyone on this board who understands what they mean.  We have one rude poster who insists they should not be allowed to do that.

If the "whole WORLD" does not even consist of this "whole FORUM", then you are clearly, very clearly, wrong.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Incidentally, if a Canadian was taken to a match at the Gallowend, I imagine there would be some very petty and pathetic people who would make a fuss, whereas most would accept it like normal human beings.

no need for personal attacks,

I think it would be great if New York and Dublin found potential investors using the Toronto model.

Would be even better if it led to a renaissance of interest in the sport in this country and people were then able to get ALL our clubs fulfilling their potential both on and off the field.

I'm thinking Swinton and Oldham in community stadiums back in Swinton and Oldham and a solution for Wakefield Trinity.  There's probably other examples such as the Cumbrian teams as discussed elsewhere on this forum.

That to me should be the real endgame for the expansionist talk with it ultimately leading to a UK rugby league revival.

45 minutes ago, owls said:

I am*!

Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer Soccer.... oh whoops I fell asleep from all the soccer.

I don't insist that nobody call it "Gridiron" football...

*well, North American.

6 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Double D, drawing the line would be done by the RFL. They set minimum standards for clubs joining at Championship level (this would only be NYC against my proposed clubs). Essentially they can subsidize the flights of their opponents, a la Toronto, and ring a broadcast deal to be shared.

if a club gets relegated, they get relegated. They would have to commit to fulfilling fixtures in any league and providing the above broadcast deal and travel subsidy as per above, via a deposit, funds in escrow, for 2 years until 20121 (if 2019 is the target date for them to in), when the broadcast deal would be up to allow for the SL-SL2 restructure.

The deal should be before 2018 fixtures come out, so Champ and League 1 teams know how many teams will go up and down at the end of the season.

Not even Toronto share a broadcast deal. Putting that all in place before this new team is in place, would be nigh on impossible. Subsidising flight costs does not guarantee you will have a competitive team on the field for Championship level.

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

That is evidentally untrue.

We have Canadians here who call it soccer.  We have everyone on this board who understands what they mean.  We have one rude poster who insists they should not be allowed to do that.

If the "whole WORLD" does not even consist of this "whole FORUM", then you are clearly, very clearly, wrong.

I call it soccer. Born in Salford.

Regarding the possibility of a TV deal, would we be better targeting (AKA crossing our fingers and praying for a rich fan) another Canadian team?  Surely a Canadian TV company would show more interest if they had 2 teams to show, not just the one?  Happy to be put right about this by our North American contingent or indeed anyone else.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Agree. 

Football in USA - gridiron 

In Oz - rugby league 

In England - soccer

In Ireland - GAA 

Archived