2018 Squad.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I am sure I heard it confirmed somewhere but can't remember where! Maybe it was MC when he was on the radio the other day?

It was in one of the Ridyard related press releases, although I can't recall which one.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

27 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

It was in one of the Ridyard related press releases, although I can't recall which one.

Good shout...from Davide Longo after Ridyard's signing
“We have 22 players on the books for next season and have some mouth-watering dual-registration options on the table, in partnership with Leeds Rhinos. We have a fantastic relationship with Gary Hetherington, Brian McDermott and Barry Eaton and our partnership is evolving as every month passes."

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/longo-we-mean-business-RxArm

I think Handley might have played centre for Leeds and that might be his preferred position? He tends to be more available for D/R earlier in the season before their injury list grows.

We need more pace in one of the cente positions,Hardcastle had a good first season and may improve further with quicker ball from the halves next season.However he is not blessed with pace.I think in about three years he could make a good second row forward as he gets stuck in tackling.

Not directly related to our squad but London have have announced their new coach, promoting from within with Danny Ward and Jamie Langley as his assistant.

Henderson has gone and Barthau and Ackers have left the playing squad with few if any signifcant arrivals announced yet, still a long time before all squads are finalised but I wonder if London might be a bit vulnerable next year.

On 28/10/2017 at 11:22 AM, POR said:

pick released by Toronto before ban looked to have something about him Briscoe in centre misi on wing out of way

agree with this. Try briscoe in the centre sure he played there before. then misi, robinson n handley (if available) can all cover wing

Initially we are talking about a 4 week gap before Ulugia is fit.

Chris is a bit injury prone, so some cover wouldn't go amiss.

Assuming Harcastle takes one birth, what are the options?

1. Misi. I think he struggled at centre last year and looked better on the wing, but he knows the ropes.

2. Tagg or Mariano. Back-rowers really.

3. Handley on DR or Briscoe. Both wingers in my book

4. Golding on DR and Hardman to centre. Lacks pace but solid.

5. Buy a new centre. What do you do with Ulugia when he's fit? Walton can go back-row.

Centre is another position ( a bit like half backs) where there probably isn't enough quality to go around SL, let alone Championship. Look around the division..we supposedly approached Ben Heaton, who is solid enough but no more than that, and Fax's other regular centre is Steve Tyrer who again is nothing special...look at London whose two starting centres are Ben Hellewell and Michael Channing, again solid enough but I doubt anyone would get excited about them coming back to us, in fact the division is littered with centres who used to play for us (Worthington, Smeaton, Crookes). The problem for us at the moment is it's going to be difficult to find someone who's actually better than the centres we've got.

6 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Why?, neither are centres, and we are well covered with half backs and wingers. The money is there is any would be better spent on a centre or a full back.

Ridyard was asked about the quantity of half backs we had and he replied all could play by adapting to various team positions. I feel Briggs could have covered at centre and if Turner came in it gave us more options for the centre position by him releasing Misi. I feel they are as good as possible new centre signings. As for set positions they are not as certain as in past years. I mean you only have to look at our test team and Bateman a second row forward is playing centre.

12 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Ridyard was asked about the quantity of half backs we had and he replied all could play by adapting to various team positions. I feel Briggs could have covered at centre and if Turner came in it gave us more options for the centre position by him releasing Misi. I feel they are as good as possible new centre signings. As for set positions they are not as certain as in past years. I mean you only have to look at our test team and Bateman a second row forward is playing centre.

I can’t recall Briggs ever covering as a centre, and we’ve plenty of wingers so don’t need another. Ideally we’ll sign McNally, and then perhaps Hardman, whose played at centre, could be used. Ideally though we need a centre, although they are in short supppy in our league.

Archived