• Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Heighington was outstanding I thought :ph34r:

Was good management. Waited until the Aussie forwards were all blowing a bit, then got 20-25 minutes of good impact from Heighington. He definitely played a part in getting us a foothold in the second half.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Somehow we need to break down the Aussies legendary defence. To an untrained eye they may appear offside but it's just that their line speed is so fast the attack haven't had time to play-the-ball yet. :ph34r:

_20171201_142417.JPG

So did we get an offside penalty after all that or did the Aussie self regulate for this game?

Fantastic match, real edge of the seat stuff. I've only one thing to say now and that's Well done Australia. Got the points that mattered, a good effort from England.  Roll on next time!

If it's not broke,

Fix it until it is!

Come On You Dons!

Seems to me that for the first time for a very long time we could have beaten Australia, as distinct from seeing a massive difference between the sides. Having said that Australia still deserved to win but England very close second and should have taken at least one of the opportunities.

I guess key difference is composure and our two half backs don't have it in real close encounters. For me you could see the difference when Widdop changed from full-back the attacking play more went into the right place...i.e towards Watkins and Co...until then we seemed to focus a lot of Bateman and co side... which invariable showed Batemans lack of passing in close quarters.

On a side note, most England team played well...but I thought Whitehead had an immense game...

Im happy to admit ive been critical of Widdop in the past but he has definitely changed my mind. I thought he had a good tournament and I do like him at 1, but an on form Tomkins could really strengthen our attack.

Well done Australia.  It has been a privilege to watch Slater, Smith and Thurston for the last few years.  Wish they were English!  (Though we have some gems of our own)

Credit to the BBC - the commentary and analysis from Noble was spot on as always.  The presenters in the studio were good, even Robbie Paul who has really improved since he stopped the pointless walking around on the pitch.

Just now, Rawschach said:

Agree re Tomkins - a fully fit and in form Sam would have been a great asset for us.

Widdop is a top player - never understood the stick he gets.  The Aussies clearly rate him and rightly so.

He just hasnt really been that good for England until this year imho.

Just now, Dave T said:

Im happy to admit ive been critical of Widdop in the past but he has definitely changed my mind. I thought he had a good tournament and I do like him at 1, but an on form Tomkins could really strengthen our attack.

yep, he is clearly needed in the half's despite his good full back play.  Especial if Lockers is not playing, as without him he is definitely needed in the half's.

1 minute ago, Rawschach said:

Agree re Tomkins - a fully fit and in form Sam would have been a great asset for us.

Widdop is a top player - never understood the stick he gets.  The Aussies clearly rate him and rightly so.

He has got stick because he has been rubbish for England. He has been excellent in this tournament and deserves full plaudits for that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Great tournament for Saints and Wire players, not just for England but other teams. I hope they - and all the other clubs for whom our boys stepped up - get the adulation and appreciation they deserve. 

England and Ireland’s players both showed that the standard of SL is very high indeed. We know we are watching a lot of the best players in the world. 

So much to build on - 2021 starts today.

Was gutted to see England lose. They played their guts out in that match. There were a few players who didn't over impress tonight.

*Tom Burgess, those few errors REALLY cost England. I would go on to say if he'd held the ball they could have won the match.

*Jonny Lomax, doesn't seem an international quality player to me. At best maybe a regular first grader at Super League level, seems more of a half to be honest.

In 2021 I'd probably look at guys like Tom Lineham, Ash Handley, Jamie Shaul. Watkins and McGillvary should be playing on the right edge for an NRL team!! like Leilua and Rapana #Watkillvary

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He has got stick because he has been rubbish for England. He has been excellent in this tournament and deserves full plaudits for that.

Widdop has carried the Dragons into being a decent mid-table side for years now, despite them having a very thin and mediocre squad for NRL standards bar a few standouts (Dugan up to 2017, Frizell, De Belin, Nightingale) and with England it's just fitting him in properly and letting him use his attributes and getting confident in the side. This tournament we've seen the real Widdop.

Great game to watch.  Congrats Australia.

Despite errors and some wrong decisions, some played well and others were outstanding.  Jerry and Watkins has showed what they can do, SB gave everything, Roby was brilliant, Gale and Hill played their best to date and Widdop (barring one hiccup) was excellent.

We still kept in it despite being a threat on only on side.  

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Great tournament for Saints and Wire players, not just for England but other teams.

I have been doubtful about Currie and Hill all tournament, but both did a monumental amount of work today. Brown isn't a top player but he gave it all every time he pulled on the jersey.

As for Saints players, Walmsley proved himself to be a test match quality forward in every game he played. Lomax toiled: honestly I would have thrown him on at stand-off because he was unlikely to make a big enough impact at full-back. He didn't do much wrong today.

A fit Tomkins gives us speed with ball in hand. We looked slow shifting it wide and couldn't either find a gap or get the overlap. I've lost count how many times he's tipped a ball on (he's our best at it in my opinion) and that speed gives you time to make the gap or find the space outside. If he can be relied on defensively - which is a big if - he will be a valuable asset. 

A great effort with some outstanding defence. But the game also highlighted how blunt our attack was and the halves have to shoulder the blame for that. Brown is too slow at that level and Gale is reluctant to take the ball to the defensive line, he passes way too early at times and seems to get over excited and make rash decisions. Add to that the fact that we completely nullified Ryan Hall by putting Bateman inside him. Lots of admirable effort from the team but ultimately we lacked the cutting edge that could and should have won the game.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Well done England, played really well tonight.

If it wasn't for a few bad passes and wrong decisions by the outside backs it could have been a different result.

I was sat with about 50/50% Aussies and English fans and I enjoyed the Englands outlook and banter more than my fellow Aussies to be honest.

Its a shame the two teams do not meet each other very often, the game would be the better for it.

If Bennett steps down which I suspect he will, who is in contention as the new England Coach?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Another absolutely fantastic match in this World Cup. The Aussies looked shattered after that. Graham and Burgess clearly thought that they could of won that match and they nearly did. Brilliant Aussie defence throughout. The handing over of the boots to the boy in the crowd was a great touch. Let’s not wait until the next World Cup before we get more competitive international games please!

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hill was our best forward today, great to see him back to his best. 

I personally think he has had some unfair criticism but then when he can play like that today i suppose gis performances have been below that level.

Walmsley has been a revelation, Whitehead has got better and better as the tournament went on.

Its been a very enjoyable tournament for England imho.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hill was our best forward today, great to see him back to his best. 

I have seen people say Hill is finished on the back of a poor season. He has had a poor season, but it is rarely mentioned that he was injured all pre-season and for the first months of the SL season. He then came into a side that was already in deep trouble.

This on the back of an incredible record of durability, having missed a handful of games in about five years.

With this tournament under his belt and an injury-free pre-season, he should be right back at it in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

A great effort with some outstanding defence. But the game also highlighted how blunt our attack was and the halves have to shoulder the blame for that. Brown is too slow at that level and Gale is reluctant to take the ball to the defensive line, he passes way too early at times and seems to get over excited and make rash decisions. Add to that the fact that we completely nullified Ryan Hall by putting Bateman inside him. Lots of admirable effort from the team but ultimately we lacked the cutting edge that could and should have won the game.

Annoyingly though we were a fingertip away from a try on Watkins break, and he should have passed to Jerry in that first half.

Whilst we were blunt we created enough half chances to win that game.

Archived