Josh Charnley

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm a bit surprised Warrington have taken him on, are they looking to offload someone? Lineham?

Bit of a risk as i can't imagine he'd come cheap and who knows how he'll play after a couple of years being de-skilled

I think Lineham has been decent this year, he has knuckled down after a bad start to last season.

Russell is clearly out of favour though, so suspect he is on the outer.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think Lineham has been decent this year, he has knuckled down after a bad start to last season.

Oh ok, i thought Russell was injured and Brown was filling in but that not the case?

It'll be interesting to see who moves, because both Lineham and Charnley favour the right wing

20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Oh ok, i thought Russell was injured and Brown was filling in but that not the case?

It'll be interesting to see who moves, because both Lineham and Charnley favour the right wing

Lineham and Russell switched last season, Russell was dropped after 3 games as Steve price worked out what wire fans also knew after 3 games, thst Russell doesn't know how to catch a ball.

Tony Smith's has let him waste 3 years of his career not helping him to learn this skill.

Good to have Josh back in the game, and best of luck to him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think Lineham’s raw talent has been recognised and he’s been told to buy into Price’s philosophy.   He’s been solid this season so far.

Unfortunately for Russell, whilst his commitment and attitude isn’t in question, he doesn’t yet seem to have the all-round modern wingers game that we need.   Mitch Brown has come in and been rock steady without being spectacular.   However Brown is only here for 12 months as cover so the signing of Charnley is exactly what we needed.

Just hope we can get him up back up to speed in league as quickly as possible - with JJ out for the season we have very little cover.   Charnley can even play full back too at a push.  

Feeling a lot more positive now about this ‘transitional’ period...

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

9 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Lineham and Russell switched last season, Russell was dropped after 3 games as Steve price worked out what wire fans also knew after 3 games, thst Russell doesn't know how to catch a ball.

Tony Smith's has let him waste 3 years of his career not helping him to learn this skill.

Of course we do need to be careful not to re-write history. 

Last season, when compared to all other outside backs and fullbacks, Russell was 24th on the errors list with 25 errors.

Way below the likes of Percival, Eden, Fonua, Briscoe, Connor, Hall, Watkins, Grace, Lineham, Burgess, Atkins etc....

Plenty of his errors are frustrating, but he also does an awful lot of good work.

In 2016, he made 26 errors, compared to Charnley's 32.

Whilst Russell makes the odd blooper in dangerous positions, I don’t think he’s as bad in that regard as we perceive.

I think his biggest letdown is defending kicks along the ground and competing for high balls when on the attack.

His real strength lies in his ability to make yards from dummy half and broken play.   Shame he hasn’t got a decent passing game as he’d make a fantastic hooker!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Whilst Russell makes the odd blooper in dangerous positions, I don’t think he’s as bad in that regard as we perceive.

I think his biggest letdown is defending kicks along the ground and competing for high balls when on the attack.

His real strength lies in his ability to make yards from dummy half and broken play.   Shame he hasn’t got a decent passing game as he’d make a fantastic hooker!

I always think Russell is like a little yapping dog chasing a ball in the park, he often goes full speed at everything, when sometimes, backing off a touch would help him - this applies to going in for balls as well as in defence. It is a shame that his Wire career looks to be ending in this way, as he has been pretty good for us imho, but some players have to make way if we want things to change.

If people are believing that Charnley makes fewer errors though, they may be disappointed.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If people are believing that Charnley makes fewer errors though, they may be disappointed.

Russell would always be scapegoated in a team playing poorly that isn’t scoring tries and does a lot of defending on their own line.

The problem is that opposition coaches know his weaknesses - so if we are on our own line a lot, teams know to chip through behind him and at the very least you’re gauaranteed a repeat set but quite often will be rewarded with a try.

I think we forget a little too quickly how many try scoring sets were started in the Smith-era with a long scoot upfield by Russell.   However teams got wise to that style of play and the Price-era demands a different skill set.

Regarding the stats on errors, I don’t mind Charnley’s error rate if he can repeat the form he showed at Wigan.   Have a look at the Grand Final highlights link on the BBC Charnley story, and you can see what he’ll bring to us (hopefully).   His all-round game is (was) superior to most in Super League.

If Warrington can improve slowly and steadily up to the split, we may surprise ourselves a litttle bit.   For 2019, there’s no excuses with the money being spent on the squad.

A bit of shrewd investment too as we get an exemption on the salary cap don’t we?  With him being a player signed from RU?

Clever if so.

Yes Russell makes errors but I think if he’s on the outer he will be a belting pick up for a SL club . I’ve seen him be really good and outstanding for Scotland to , and he’s had a dip in form but he’s committed , is a really good ball runner and can fill in across the back three . If I was wire I wouldn’t be letting him go

I've watched a lot of Russell, and whilst he has some brilliant qualities such as his yardage out of dummy half, he has some massive flaws which don't appear to have improved at all since he first started playing, and in some cases have got worse. In the big games these frequently get highlighted. 

I would characterise his flaws as a general lack of a rugby brain. He is a great athlete and would be a good pick up for most clubs, but would gradually frustrate the fans with costly errors. His number of errors is only one part of it, but his poor positional play also gives rise to several other mistakes that wouldn't be chalked up on the Opta stats.

I'd be surprised if he plays for Warrington again. I think Steve Price has concluded that the minimum he expects from a winger is to be able to deal competently with kicks, defend in the right place and finish opportunities hence why Mitch Brown is getting a run.

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Good to see him back. Wonder if he’ll be the same player though following his “holiday”.

I very much doubt if he would have progressed as an athlete while playing union. If anything going on past history players returning to our game from union have only been average at best.

41 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Russell would always be scapegoated in a team playing poorly that isn’t scoring tries and does a lot of defending on their own line.

The problem is that opposition coaches know his weaknesses - so if we are on our own line a lot, teams know to chip through behind him and at the very least you’re gauaranteed a repeat set but quite often will be rewarded with a try.

I think we forget a little too quickly how many try scoring sets were started in the Smith-era with a long scoot upfield by Russell.   However teams got wise to that style of play and the Price-era demands a different skill set.

Regarding the stats on errors, I don’t mind Charnley’s error rate if he can repeat the form he showed at Wigan.   Have a look at the Grand Final highlights link on the BBC Charnley story, and you can see what he’ll bring to us (hopefully).   His all-round game is (was) superior to most in Super League.

If Warrington can improve slowly and steadily up to the split, we may surprise ourselves a litttle bit.   For 2019, there’s no excuses with the money being spent on the squad.

I'm a fan of in-form Charnley. Could be a very good signing if he can get back to his best, he is still only 26, so no reason why not.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Good to see him back in Rugby League and I'm not surprised he's not back at Wigan. Wane often unfairly made Charnley a scapegoat and the two often didn't see eye to eye. 

Is that part of the reason he left ? Yes there’s money but I was surprised he went as he was doing so well and history should tell him players more often than not fall into a black hole there and vanish , then try to return and get it back again .

Archived