Josh Charnley

20 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Oh, just in the interest of fairness, he did seem to lose a lot of confidence after getting his face smashed in against widnes that time, which didn't result in a 5 match ban, i believe there was no charge on that one. amazingly.

He suffered two facial injuries in fairly quick succession, I think, which would be enough to dent anyone's confidence.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Of course we do need to be careful not to re-write history. 

Last season, when compared to all other outside backs and fullbacks, Russell was 24th on the errors list with 25 errors.

Way below the likes of Percival, Eden, Fonua, Briscoe, Connor, Hall, Watkins, Grace, Lineham, Burgess, Atkins etc....

Plenty of his errors are frustrating, but he also does an awful lot of good work.

In 2016, he made 26 errors, compared to Charnley's 32.

But aren't the number of errors a player makes also dependant on how much of the ball they have.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I heard he was injured at Sale - can anyone confirm? That would be my main concern for Wolves as he's had some quite lengthy injuries and i've found over the years that these long term issues can take their toll.

am sure the wolves medical team have put him through a thorough mot - great to see him back 26 and a proven quality winger

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

am sure the wolves medical team have put him through a thorough mot - great to see him back 26 and a proven quality winger

There was a medical analysis last week (Wednesday I think), all kept hush-hush with regards to who it was.   Several names mooted but no one was close to getting it right.

Very interesting comment from Sale in their press release:

“After excellent discussions between the club and Warrington Wolves, with whom we enjoy a tremendous relationship, an agreement was quickly reached”

I know Warrington were very interested at the end of last year, just as the new Union season was starting.   The club stated they were leaving space on the cap for in-season signings and that they were looking at high-profile players.   Seems to me they’ve been discussing it with Sale for a while but maybe Josh or Sale wanted to see if he could establish himself as a first-team regular this union season, and when it didn’t work out all parties agreed to let the Warrington move progress.   Glad that everything was done above board and professionally for a change.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

39 minutes ago, Padge said:

But aren't the number of errors a player makes also dependant on how much of the ball they have.

They are, but the number of carries/dummy half runs etc. are substantial enough for them to be comparable.

I also did % ratio of errors per carry, and he held up fine there - although this isn't a perfect measure (I don't think there is one!).

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I also did % ratio of errors per carry, and he held up fine there - although this isn't a perfect measure (I don't think there is one!).

Yes, it’s hard to use single stats in any argument.   Martin Offiah probably looked awful using defensive stats and errors.

“148 tries in 152 games”.   That’s Charnley’s record in RL so far and I hope that attacking prowess will provide us with something to smile about come the summer.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

31 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

There was a medical analysis last week (Wednesday I think), all kept hush-hush with regards to who it was.   Several names mooted but no one was close to getting it right.

“After excellent discussions between the club and Warrington Wolves, with whom we enjoy a tremendous relationship, an agreement was quickly reached”

I know Warrington were very interested at the end of last year, just as the new Union season was starting.   The club stated they were leaving space on the cap for in-season signings and that they were looking at high-profile players.   Seems to me they’ve been discussing it with Sale for a while but maybe Josh or Sale wanted to see if he could establish himself as a first-team regular this union season, and when it didn’t work out all parties agreed to let the Warrington move progress.   Glad that everything was done above board and professionally for a change.

I had to re-read to check it was Steve Diamond saying that. Has he had a personality transplant or just learned from his mistakes? :)

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I had to re-read to check it was Steve Diamond saying that. Has he had a personality transplant or just learned from his mistakes? :)

I think it was just a good working relationship between Warrington owner Simon Moran and Sale owner Simon Orange.   Here’s a picture of Moran turning up for a meeting over lunch to discuss Charnley:

49800E77-56EA-4C2B-A573-4F5A13CDABCC.jpeg

You’ll notice the retro Aussie RL shell-suit which was a gift when we signed Andrew Johns.

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

“After excellent discussions between the club and Warrington Wolves, with whom we enjoy a tremendous relationship, an agreement was quickly reached”.

Translation = they haven't sued us yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Translation = they haven't sued us yet.

To be more exact "sued us and ended paying the exact same money we offered in the first place"

Josh has started to get his head around RU and has has played well for Sale recently, but has some strong competition in that team on the left wing.

A quick glance at some of the Sale forums show he was well liked by fans, but unfortunately was in a position in which SS have 2/3 players above him as first choice.

He is back to RL, having earned a few extra quid  and I hope he does well.

iIRC Wigan, Warrington and Salford have all used the Sale training facilities at Carrington recently.

3 minutes ago, kiyan said:

To be more exact "sued us and ended paying the exact same money we offered in the first place"

Josh has started to get his head around RU and has has played well for Sale recently, but has some strong competition in that team on the left wing.

A quick glance at some of the Sale forums show he was well liked by fans, but unfortunately was in a position in which SS have 2/3 players above him as first choice.

He is back to RL, having earned a few extra quid  and I hope he does well.

iIRC Wigan, Warrington and Salford have all used the Sale training facilities at Carrington recently.

Not sure why Wigan would want to travel to Carrington, they have two of their own training facilities.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, kiyan said:

What, Warrington sued Sale? When did this happen?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

Not sure why Wigan would want to travel to Carrington, they have two of their own training facilities.

Wether you are sure or not they did,  indeed they posted photos on their Twitter account of the team there.

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What, Warrington sued Sale? When did this happen?

Selectively quote people out of context does not make you look clever.

6 minutes ago, kiyan said:

Wether you are sure or not they did,  indeed they posted photos on their Twitter account of the team there.

A quick search on Twitter didn't bring anything up.

Selectively quote people out of context does not make you look clever.

You claim was "sued us and ended paying the exact same money we offered in the first place", in response to a post about Sale's claimed good relationship with Warrington.

Which bit of your claim is true, as regards the two clubs involved? Or, perhaps, were you just honestly mixing up Warrington with Castleford, and £0 with at least £200,000?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, kiyan said:

Nothing on Wigan's web site referencing Carrington.

You can say sorry anytime, or do I need to dig out the thread on here at the time?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/status/809402691898277888

I don't need to say sorry, I said I couldn't see why the needed to, not that they didn't. From the link you provided it was part of a much bigger exercise of preseason sessions all over the place, bit more marketing never goes amiss.

Archived