Catalans threaten return to French League?

A few articles are doing the rounds, that the Catalans president Bernard Guasch is furious with the referees' performances.  Now please excuse the rough google translation, but here's what I got:

The president of the Catalan Dragons, prowler to arbitration since 2006, entered Saturday night in a black rage.
Like a large part of the public. The reason for this rant? The performance of 22-year-old referee Liam Moore (5 Super League matches in 2018 and 5 of Middle 8's in 2017). "You have to go, it's no longer possible, you have to let them play between them (the English). They do what they want, this year, we are sent as young referees here in Brutus, do not tell me that it is not done on purpose. What do you want me to say to my players? What can we do there? They will only have to play between them. We take twice as many penalties as they do in the last thirty minutes. They are never offside, the referee refuses a try and the video grants it. I'm furious because the second half I just saw is scandalous in terms of arbitration decisions.

Can any of our French friends here tell us what he actually says?  And does anyone believe they would actually follow through with such a threat??

Original article:  http://www.lindependant.fr/2018/04/07/bernard-guasch-il-faut-sen-aller,3914474.php

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

A few articles are doing the rounds, that the Catalans president Bernard Guasch is furious with the referees' performances.  Now please excuse the rough google translation, but here's what I got:

The president of the Catalan Dragons, prowler to arbitration since 2006, entered Saturday night in a black rage.
Like a large part of the public. The reason for this rant? The performance of 22-year-old referee Liam Moore (5 Super League matches in 2018 and 5 of Middle 8's in 2017). "You have to go, it's no longer possible, you have to let them play between them (the English). They do what they want, this year, we are sent as young referees here in Brutus, do not tell me that it is not done on purpose. What do you want me to say to my players? What can we do there? They will only have to play between them. We take twice as many penalties as they do in the last thirty minutes. They are never offside, the referee refuses a try and the video grants it. I'm furious because the second half I just saw is scandalous in terms of arbitration decisions.

Can any of our French friends here tell us what he actually says?  And does anyone believe they would actually follow through with such a threat??

Original article:  http://www.lindependant.fr/2018/04/07/bernard-guasch-il-faut-sen-aller,3914474.php

There is already a thread on this topic with 67 replies further down the page. No harm done, they'll merge the threads.

An 8 team professional French Competition could be set up if some TV rights & sponsorship revenue were organised. Funding or a backer for a team based in Paris or the north of France is important. Would Paris St Germain be interested in a Rugby a Treize again? or Could Luc Dayan set up a side based in Lens or somewhere in the north of France? Can a backer be found in another major city in the south of France were the game still has some presence & good will like Toulon, Marseille, Lyon, Brodeaux?

An 8 team competition that could look a lot like this - 

Catalan Dragons

Toulouse Olympic

Avignon

Carcasonne (or Aude Cathars)

Albi (or an Albi based side representing the Tarn region)

Villenuve (or a Villenuve  based side representing the Lot et Garonne Region)

Side based in a lager Southern French City were the game still has a presence with financial backing.

Paris (maybe Paris St Germain?) but could be based somewhere in north of France maybe Lens or Nantes.

Would the Dragons make anywhere near the money the would in super league? I would love to see strong domestic leagues in various countries with the world club challenge being replaced by one that invites the champions of France / North America etc. I just don't think Catalans and Toulouse are strong enough at the moment to lead a professional competition of any real standard.

55 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I just don't think Catalans and Toulouse are strong enough at the moment to lead a professional competition of any real standard.

Of course they're not!

2 hours ago, Bulliac said:

Wouldn't a professional French league be exactly what we wanted all along?

If this were to come about it could be biggest boost to RL worldwide since Les Cats joined SL, IMO.

Er no!

And, No it wouldn't!

I'm afraid I don't even want to answer as to why for this last  quoted post.

:girlwah:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

You got to ask yourself what have the Catalans done for the national team, probably nothing. I really hope the pro 13 or whatever they call it pays off, northern hemisphere RL is pretty dismal at the moment and we need a strong France. I've seen Toulouse a couple of times this year and they do impress and with a french coach the relatively young and inexperience french team things are moving in the right direction. Yeah the WC was a bit of a disaster but they drew a bum deal in the group against England Australia and Australia 3rds err Lebanon, the writing was on the wall. I think the French have to do something because the SL focus is now eyeing America and with Serbia steadily growing I see a team here vying for a league place within the next 5-6 years. Good luck France

It appears Perpignan RU club lie second in the French Championship(tier 2) going into the last round of fixtures.After 29 matches MN Montauban have 93 points,whilst Perpignan have 92.It seems four teams then play off for the second promotion spot,with Perpignan being favourites for promotion.So it's very likely that next season Perpignan will return to the French Top 14 league.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

It appears Perpignan RU club lie second in the French Championship(tier 2) going into the last round of fixtures.After 29 matches MN Montauban have 93 points,whilst Perpignan have 92.It seems four teams then play off for the second promotion spot,with Perpignan being favourites for promotion.So it's very likely that next season Perpignan will return to the French Top 14 league.

Sorry this is doesn't even rate as irrelevant to the real issue.

6 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

You got to ask yourself what have the Catalans done for the national team, probably nothing.

And how many national sides would win anything if they were based entirely on one side providing the right level of players ...... think on!

8 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

You got to ask yourself what have the Catalans done for the national team, probably nothing. I really hope the pro 13 or whatever they call it pays off, northern hemisphere RL is pretty dismal at the moment and we need a strong France. I've seen Toulouse a couple of times this year and they do impress and with a french coach the relatively young and inexperience french team things are moving in the right direction. Yeah the WC was a bit of a disaster but they drew a bum deal in the group against England Australia and Australia 3rds err Lebanon, the writing was on the wall. I think the French have to do something because the SL focus is now eyeing America and with Serbia steadily growing I see a team here vying for a league place within the next 5-6 years. Good luck France

Its probably me, but i thought with a French team in Super League i did expect to see a team mainly made up of French players with the odd Aussie, Kiwi and Brit.

So the this thread is "How we feel let down by the promise that one club would change Frances' international fortunes completely."?

:superman:

Completely logical for mine!

6-7

So Catalans owner wants to join the French League because the beastly Brits allegedly consipire against his mercenaries.

fWx327.gif

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived