Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yes, and when some of us were suggesting that the RFL should have taken a pragmatic approach and accepted the Aussies offer to tour here instead this year, you were quick to say no, we should stand up to "bullies" (your words, not mine). Now you're on here saying how rubbish the tour is going to be and intimating that it's a stupid idea because of things such as clashing with the RU world cup. Has it not occurred to you that some of the reasons you list are precisely the reasons why some of us thought it might have made more sense to host the Aussies this year, and then look to tour when the conditions were more appropriate (namely things like the Aussies willing to play us, no rugby union world cup clash, etc.).

As I said previously, this year in the UK there will be NO rugby union autumn internationals (they've been moved to summer because of the RUWC), and the rugby union world cup matches (at least at the semi final and final stage) will be finished by 11am UK time on Saturdays. This would have meant that England/GB v Australia Ashes matches this year in the UK could have been played at 3pm and not had the usual competition from rugby union. It would have been a perfect opportunity to maybe pick up a few non-regular viewers.

Lol clashing with the world cup is merely the cherry on the top...99% of the tour,and how ###### it'll be,has nothing to do with union..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, c0c0nutz said:

Already miscommunication between the ARLC/NRL/RLIF and Cook Islands Rugby League, the CIRL saying they will only be playing the World Cup qualifier whether that's against South Africa or the USA who knows??. https://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/384151/sport-cook-islands-rugby-league-focused-on-world-cup-qualifier

This sport really is a joke

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Some lovely tours there. Nice variety with the Grand Final, Nines and GB.

Always a bad sign when they don't quote the price on the ad!!!

All the prices are there on the link when you scroll thru the brochure! Range from £4.5k to £8k

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

All the prices are there on the link when you scroll thru the brochure! Range from £4.5k to £8k

Yeah I went into each link individually. I think these tours highlight one of the problems. Previously if you went for the 45 day option you would probably get 10 or 12 GB games and It would be proper RL tour. Now it reads like a tour of Oz/NZ with a touch of Rugby thrown in. That is far less appealing, the lack of midweek games means it'll always be a no from me.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/tim-sheens-hails-great-britain-2631241

“It’ll be the best English side they can put out and if there’s a bit of Scottish, Irish and Welsh blood be in it, so be it.”

The likes of St Helens stars Lachlan Coote and Regan Grace, of Scottish and Welsh descent respectively

I bet Regan Grace is happy to know he's not really Welsh. Do they make it up as they go along? These are supposed to be people who make a living from the game.

rldfsignature.jpg

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

A GB tour the year before a world cup...and the 2025 world cup is likely gonna be down under again....so asking fans to travel down under in consecutive years is taking then pi$$

Fair enough with the costs.  We don’t know yet though.

We’ve been crying out for dates to be decided in advance so I hope this is the start of creating a strong calendar.

No to mention the home nations should really be getting their ducks in a row the year before a world cup...his disjointed approach baffles me,it makes no sense..

The ONLY time a GB tour makes sense is the year AFTER the world cup...all the home nations players will be on display at world cup putting themselves in the picture for the GB squad the following year..and then that's out of the way so the home nations have 2 years to build up to a world cup.. like this.

2021 RLWC as home nations
2022 GB TOUR
2023 as home nations
2024 as home nations
2025 RLWC as home nations
2026 GB TOUR
2027 as home nations
2028 as home nations
2029 RLWC as home nations
2030 GB tour

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I wouldn't worry, this year's tour is going to lose so much money they'll drop the whole thing forever.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

I wouldn't worry, this year's tour is going to lose so much money they'll drop the whole thing forever.

Nah, they'll be rolling in it what with all the merchandise sales, sponsors flocking in, TV deals and packed out grounds.

Maybe.

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

In what way, Spud?

Going away on tour seriously disrupts a players pre-season training schedule, more often than not leading to a drop off in performance the following season. Surely the best prep for a WC would be to allow all players a full off-season followed by a slightly shortened league season to help keep them as fresh as possible ?

A perfect example of this is some of the Saints players this season.

Saints asked for Grace & Knowles to not be considered for Wales at the end of last year and in 2019 its been noticeable that both their performances and levels of fitness have improved significantly. Conversley Its been noticeable that Matty Lees has struggled this year with his intensity in some games well below what it was last season.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• 2 weeks later...

Archived