Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

Leave the World Behind on Netflix.

Has a 1.9 rating on Google because a lot of sad shacks are calling it the Obama Movie (they are executive producers) and are thus downvoting it. It's not perfect but it's not bad at all - and always watchable, even if the ending will, as they say, 'divide opinion'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watched Trains, Planes and Automobiles for the first time over Christmas (Don't @ me).  Loved it.  Genuinely funny movie.

Raises the question, what films should you have seen, but for reasons never did?  Big one for me would be E.T, never seen it.  I probably should.

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Watched Trains, Planes and Automobiles for the first time over Christmas (Don't @ me).  Loved it.  Genuinely funny movie.

Raises the question, what films should you have seen, but for reasons never did?  Big one for me would be E.T, never seen it.  I probably should.

E.T. is well worth a watch even as an adult especially for 1980’s nostalgia trip.

Trains, Planes and Automobiles is funny and sad too for me.

Personally I have still yet to watch a single Harry Potter film or read a page from any of the books!  Probably should one day!

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 21:39, Bedford Roughyed said:

gone with the wind , lawrence of arabia....both too long  , close encounters ....richard dreyfuss too annoying , e.t. , started to watch it a couple of times and knocked it off.

30 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

gone with the wind , lawrence of arabia....both too long  , close encounters ....richard dreyfuss too annoying , e.t. , started to watch it a couple of times and knocked it off.

Lawrence of Arabia, when screened properly, has an intermission.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/01/2024 at 22:22, Futtocks said:

Someone found the details of David Lynch's unmade sequel(s) to Dune. 

Warning: there's some weird stuff.

On a similar vein from a few years back: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054yj22/episodes/guide

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

On a similar vein from a few years back: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054yj22/episodes/guide

Ooh, that looks interesting, thanks! Found the actual files on TVChaos.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Close Encounters is a great film, I do get your point about Drefuss though, when watching Jaws I think I was one of the few people that wanted the shark to eat him,

• Like 1

Wonka - is surprisingly very very good- fantastic entertainment - a nice hour or two of light family fun instead of the heavy stuff for a change

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

39 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Wonka - is surprisingly very very good- fantastic entertainment - a nice hour or two of light family fun instead of the heavy stuff for a change

It is really enjoyable, isn't it?

• Like 1

I've noticed more and more recently how children's films are now being marketed as family films. Why is this? Is it so adults don't feel quite as guilty to be sitting down and watching a cartoon?

Myself and Mrs. Goose watch animated films all the time, we love animated films. We especially love picking out all the innuendo and adult themed jokes that would completely go over a kid's head. It's interesting to watch such films as an adult and see them in a completely different light to when I was a kid and the fact that this kind of humour is put into these films shows that the makers expect adults to watch them as well. 

40 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just treated myself to Point Break again. I watch it every couple of years. One of the greatest action films ever made. 

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good old iplayer, watched both Belfast and the Last Bus this week. Really enjoyed Belfast,well filmed and gives a different insight to the usual films on the subject.

The last bus wont be everyones cup of tea but Timothy Spalls performance struck a chord with me as i get older and watch my parents age even quicker 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Route66 said:

Good old iplayer, watched both Belfast and the Last Bus this week. Really enjoyed Belfast,well filmed and gives a different insight to the usual films on the subject.

The last bus wont be everyones cup of tea but Timothy Spalls performance struck a chord with me as i get older and watch my parents age even quicker 

I've just watched Belfast. Thought it was fantastic, very powerful film. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 01:33, Bedford Roughyed said:

Nyad - Fairly run of the mill biopic, but Jodie Foster and Annette Bening put in great performances.  

And now both Oscar nominated.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I've been fancying going to see Argylle mainly because there is a cat in it and I'm curious how involved said feline is in the story. Well I've just watched the trailer and it put the biggest smile in the world on my face. I was a bit reluctant to go because I can't find anyone particularly interested in going with me but after watching that and how happy it made me I think I'll be going on my own! 😁😁

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been fancying going to see Argylle mainly because there is a cat in it and I'm curious how involved said feline is in the story. Well I've just watched the trailer and it put the biggest smile in the world on my face. I was a bit reluctant to go because I can't find anyone particularly interested in going with me but after watching that and how happy it made me I think I'll be going on my own! 😁😁

The director was on radio 6 the other day, it's his daughter's cat it will be on sounds

• Thanks 1