Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Tomorrow (8/2/2023) evening on Film4 at 9pm - The Lighthouse

Starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson who's come a LONG way from his sparkly vampire pin-up days.

Apart from saying it is in B&W and a 4:3 ratio, I'm not preparing anyone for this. I first watched it with virtually zero pre-knowledge, and that's very much the best way.

I first saw this on blu-ray, also with zero pre-knowledge. There are no words to describe what I experienced. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Tomorrow (8/2/2023) evening on Film4 at 9pm - The Lighthouse

Starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson who's come a LONG way from his sparkly vampire pin-up days.

Apart from saying it is in B&W and a 4:3 ratio, I'm not preparing anyone for this. I first watched it with virtually zero pre-knowledge, and that's very much the best way.

Funny seeing you write that about zero pre knowledge , last night I watched Mad Max 2 , and I recalled going to the ' pictures ' back in 79 to watch the first one and one of my mates asking " what's this film about ? " , And another mate replying " a bloke called Max , who's a bit Mad " 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

Bank of Dave on Netflix is a good light hearted bit of escapism. 

It was fun and lightweight.  

Lots of it never happened of course… and I did like the private school, Oxford attending actor bemoaning private school Oxford attending bankers… 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sidney J. Furie's 1964 - Leather Boys

Amazon Prime - with Rita Tushingham, Colin Campbell and Dudley Sutton.

Clearly outdated with today’s social mores, but for those who grew up in the 60’s a fascinating piece.

Filmed in monochrome in and around Brighton and lots of ‘bikers’ including a very young Ray Winstone.

21 hours ago, glemiln said:

Sidney J. Furie's 1964 - Leather Boys

Amazon Prime - with Rita Tushingham, Colin Campbell and Dudley Sutton.

Clearly outdated with today’s social mores, but for those who grew up in the 60’s a fascinating piece.

Filmed in monochrome in and around Brighton and lots of ‘bikers’ including a very young Ray Winstone.

Only about 7 yrs old then , was he on one of those mini bikes ?.😶

32 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Only about 7 yrs old then , was he on one of those mini bikes ?.😶

Mixing it up with Ray's biker character in Quadrophenia, maybe?

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

My friend lives in Norway.

If I see anything in the media related to Norway or Norwegians I usually send a link with some amusement or befuddlement; like when they wouldn't leave Freja the walrus alone, etc.

On my trending searches the other day I saw the trailer for Mrs Chatterjee Vs Norway, so I watched it thinking it would be another link to send my friend. However, considering I didn't understand hardly a single word as it is in Hindi, I was absolutely bloody hooked on this film trailer!

It made me look more into the true story behind it. Oh my days.

15 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

My friend lives in Norway.

If I see anything in the media related to Norway or Norwegians I usually send a link with some amusement or befuddlement; like when they wouldn't leave Freja the walrus alone, etc.

On my trending searches the other day I saw the trailer for Mrs Chatterjee Vs Norway, so I watched it thinking it would be another link to send my friend. However, considering I didn't understand hardly a single word as it is in Hindi, I was absolutely bloody hooked on this film trailer!

It made me look more into the true story behind it. Oh my days.

Just looked it up.

Whoa.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm watching Everything everywhere all at once. I am mildly baffled but very entertained.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, I watched the latest Elvis film on Sky (sadly, for once they cut-out ads). What a mess of a film on speed - the use of hip hop ‘music’ early on and a story/music all over the place both historically and in direction by Baz Luhrmann!  Austin Butler is quite good as Elvis and a prosthetic Tom Hanks as Colonel Parker should have known better.  
Watched it through more in hope….

The 1979 Kurt Russell film is better, imo.

What a story for Ke Huy Quan. Childhood fame as "Short Round" in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, then walking away from acting due to a lack of decent roles.

Now he's won an Oscar! Quite rightly too - his performance in EEAAO is superb.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What a story for Ke Huy Quan. Childhood fame as "Short Round" in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, then walking away from acting due to a lack of decent roles.

Now he's won an Oscar! Quite rightly too - his performance in EEAAO is superb.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Goodnight, and good luck - 2005

A superb film based in the 1950’s and CBS reporter Ed Murrow’s on-air campaign to rebut senator Joseph McCarthy’s exploitation of the fear of Communism.  Filmed in monochrome with a wonderful jazz soundtrack, including vocalist Dianne Reeves.  Actor David Strathairn is brilliant as Murrow, as is the whole cast and directed by George Clooney.
Currently, on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Just noticed the film is on Amazon Prime - looking forward to the entertainment.

It has a slow start, so give it time to let the story get going.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Hunger, a Thai film on Netflix. A young cook is head hunted from her family's cafe to work in the team of Bangkok's top haute cuisine chef, whose behaviour in the kitchen would be considered unpleasant by Gordon Ramsey. It is perhaps slightly too long and the social satire at times a bit heavy handed, but it's thought provoking and sumptuously shot. Towards the end there is a cook off almost like a western duel. The eating scenes do at times betray the director's background making horror movies. Worth watching as genuinely different.

50 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm on a bit of a western high at the moment so treated myself to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid this evening. Absolute classic and one of my all time favourites! 

It is one of those rare occasions when the dream partnership of big stars actually results in a brilliant movie. And that great chemistry worked again in 1973's The Sting, too.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

just watched Gonzo,the life and works of Hunter s Thompson a documentary film on sky arts a brilliant hard hitting nearly 3 hours  about his writing and reporting of American politics, also includes a great soundtrack.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 2 weeks later...

Missing 

Saw this at the cinema yesterday and it was a classic Hitchcock-style thriller, cleverly thought out and suspenseful.  

Also a word on the cinematography and the utilising of social media apps and video footage to weave together the narrative.

Very much captures the zeitgeist in this sense.

8/10

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I'm currently in the process of watching ever Best Picture Oscar winner. I'm not watching them in chronological order, just which ever takes my fancy at the time. 

Tonight I watched How Green Was My Valley for the first time in God knows how long. I forgot how miserable that film is. A very good film but very, very miserable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Do believe the hype. It's very impressive.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)