Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, M j M said:

Hetherington provides a Headingley update, casually lobs an extra £4m onto the project cost (it was £39m before???!)

 

Which now takes the cost of these two stands decisively above the combined cost of the Halliwell Jones and Langtree Park.

I expect gold plated taps and ostrich-feather seat cushions in the North Stand next season.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

York update...    

York Community Stadium April 19... ? 

https://twitter.com/YorkKnightsRLFC/status/1298582360263458821?s=20 Loads more pictures of the finished article on the Knights' Facebook page too.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, M j M said:

Hetherington provides a Headingley update, casually lobs an extra £4m onto the project cost (it was £39m before???!)

 

It was £35 million before. That’s an overspend of more than 20%. What is Caddick doing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

It was £35 million before. That’s an overspend of more than 20%. What is Caddick doing?

It's been stated at both £35m and £39m although £40m has also been stated recently (I assumed this was rounding).

Hopefully the overspend is on the cricket side!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's been stated at both £35m and £39m although £40m has also been stated recently (I assumed this was rounding).

Hopefully the overspend is on the cricket side!

One stand is the Rhinos and the other is a JV, so not sure how any overspend can be on the cricket side 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M j M said:

Which now takes the cost of these two stands decisively above the combined cost of the Halliwell Jones and Langtree Park.

I expect gold plated taps and ostrich-feather seat cushions in the North Stand next season.

Thing is though, Hallowell Jones and Langtree along with LSV, Widnes and Salford are Ikea flat pack jobs.

The build at headingley is on a totally different level. The north stand in particular being a totally bespoke build.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

One stand is the Rhinos and the other is a JV, so not sure how any overspend can be on the cricket side  

True, but at least it will only be half our problem then :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Thing is though, Hallowell Jones and Langtree along with LSV, Widnes and Salford are Ikea flat pack jobs.

The build at headingley is on a totally different level. The north stand in particular being a totally bespoke build. 

This is true. The South Stand isn't a complex project though, it's probably less complex structurally than the Carnegie Stand, but larger. The Carnegie cost around £7m, even with 10 years of inflation the S Stand just can't come to more than £15m.

Which leaves £25m+ for the North Stand. That's a lot of money for less than 4,000 RL seats.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, M j M said:

True, but at least it will only be half our problem then :)

I’m sure the figures were clearly detailed out and and there’s no dubious accounting going on between Caddick’s companies ?

Much like I’m sure a thorough tender process was carried out for construction of the stands

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, M j M said:

This is true. The South Stand isn't a complex project though, it's probably less complex structurally than the Carnegie Stand, but larger. The Carnegie cost around £7m, even with 10 years of inflation the S Stand just can't come to more than £15m.

Which leaves £25m+ for the North Stand. That's a lot of money for less than 4,000 RL seats.

It’ll be the 400 seat fancy banqueting suite, which will hopefully pay handsome dividends 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair I think the hold up in building will have added to costs - particularly as now we have to build 2 stands at once (SS was supposed to have been finished by start of this season iirc). Also my Brothers friend's Dad is one of the architects and said they found a Victorian sewer under the north stand they hadn't expected.

Went to the cricket tonight and frankly it looks fantastic. Not sure about the white blob roof on the cricket side, but otherwise will be a fantastic sporting venue. Interesting that Hetherington also said that alongside Cricket and RL tests they would be looking at RU internationals as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This just cannnot be correct, as we are constantly being told how Hetherington is the only good housekeeper in SuperLeague.

This is the chairman's project really, not Hetherington's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Thing is though, Hallowell Jones and Langtree along with LSV, Widnes and Salford are Ikea flat pack jobs.

The build at headingley is on a totally different level. The north stand in particular being a totally bespoke build.

Well I am very happy with the Halliwell Jones stadium and the Langtree Park is a fine one both create good atmospheres and don't leave away fans with no cover and Warrington are continually improving the stadium, filled two corners big screen inside and outside of the stadium. But ultimately when I go to headingley I see impressive new stands but I still stood on an open old terrace. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Interesting that Hetherington also said that alongside Cricket and RL tests they would be looking at RU internationals as well.

I doubt the rah rahs will be looking at Headingley though. I'm sure the corporate facilities are top notch, but at the end of the day it's a very basic sub 20k capacity stadium with 15-20% of that being standing on a shallow, uncovered hill. It may be one of the top 3 RL specific stadiums when complete (after Wire and Saints), but that's not saying much, and there are loads of stadiums in towns up and down the country that are better and have 4 complete sides

And as a Leeds fan I don't want to hear Swing Low Chariot or whatever it is being sung at Headingley! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Well I am very happy with the Halliwell Jones stadium and the Langtree Park is a fine one both create good atmospheres and don't leave away fans with no cover and Warrington are continually improving the stadium, filled two corners big screen inside and outside of the stadium. But ultimately when I go to headingley I see impressive new stands but I still stood on an open old terrace. 

I think they've done a good job with HJ and Langtree Park. Not many 'flatpack stadiums' have any character or atmosphere but thats not the case for Warrington and Saints. Wigan however is my least favourite place to go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please be concise? My history is a bit vague.

Who owns the combined Headingley grounds? Who is sharing what money to/from each club?

How much profit is split between each when it comes to all these vaunted corporate jollies? In short are Leeds getting a good deal?

BTW... There is a football ground with 3 sides, Oxford United.  I suspect there is a tale to tell about that one day.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Can someone please be concise? My history is a bit vague.

Who owns the combined Headingley grounds? Who is sharing what money to/from each club?

How much profit is split between each when it comes to all these vaunted corporate jollies? In short are Leeds getting a good deal?

BTW... There is a football ground with 3 sides, Oxford United.  I suspect there is a tale to tell about that one day.

 

Falkirk only have 3 sides aswell. There is something of an urban myth that it is because the 4th stand would be in the blast zone of the local oil refinery, but it isnt true. They just started out with 2, built a third, and havent had the requirement or the cash for number 4 yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Can someone please be concise? My history is a bit vague.

Who owns the combined Headingley grounds? Who is sharing what money to/from each club? 

How much profit is split between each when it comes to all these vaunted corporate jollies? In short are Leeds getting a good deal? 

Leeds Rhinos own the RL ground including the pavilion (where most of the existing corporate space is); in addition the hotel is a Leeds project although it's on Yorkshire's bit of land.

Yorkshire own the cricket ground.

The new shared stand will be built by Legal & General, let for 42 years to Leeds City Council who in turn sublet it to the RL club and Yorkshire. I don't believe the new RL South Stand is part of this arrangement so it should be an owned Leeds asset with a loan attached. I presume Legal & General will be providing the balance of the funding for that beyond the cash of around £6m Leeds had available to put into it.

For the new shared stand three new entities, presently dormant, have been set up; firstly Headingley North-South Stand Limited, which is jointly and equally owned by Leeds and Yorkshire. That company has two subsidiaries - Headingley North-South Stand (Rugby) Limited (which has Caddick people on the board) and Headingley North-South Stand (Cricket) Limited (which has Yorkshire people on the board).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having re-read some of the documents from last year I think I can see where the figures come from:

£35m is the Legal & General investment.

plus £5m from Leeds Rhinos' cash reserves = £40m

The council noted that, "£2m of costs have already been incurred by the clubs in relation to theproject and it is estimated that a further £1m will be required before a formal contract start on site". = £43m.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...