Jump to content

Health update.


Recommended Posts

My wife is still on twice daily decent doses of the stuff, I’ve no idea how she does it but it doesn’t seem to have any negaive effects on her. She can even easily take a few days off occasionally without a single withdrawal effect either. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Not on morphine, but on 5 other meds to keep heart slow and regular until I have mitral valve repair or replace. All tests done now . Waiting letter from Glenfield, Leicester with date for pre op appointment and surgery date.

  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Not on morphine, but on 5 other meds to keep heart slow and regular until I have mitral valve repair or replace. All tests done now . Waiting letter from Glenfield, Leicester with date for pre op appointment and surgery date.

Good luck with that. The union internationals are on this weekend, that’ll help keep your heart rate nice and slow. 

  • Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JohnM said:

mitral valve repair or replace. 

You cad. I am now singing this to the Autoglass tune.

  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much better today. I've had two goes with the zimmer frame and not much pain. The surgeon says I can go home on Saturday.

Here's one for you all to think about. Carol's been ill and the nursing system here means that you rely on family members. With no Carol, step forward two women who were looking after their own family members. Helping me into and out of bed and emptying the urine bottle. The kindness of strangers, eh?

 

  • Like 4

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay. Got out yesterday. What a catalogue of disaster! Carol turned up and while she was there, the surgeon asked if I wanted to go home there and then. "Yes, please." Of course, "there and then" became "in two hours" due to paperwork. The light was going to fail soon and Carol cannot drive in the dark. Anyway, we made our way to the main door and Carol went to get the car because the wheelchair is not allowed outside the hospital and the car was parked in the car park across the road. Ten minutes later, she's back. She'd left hazard lights on and the battery was flat. So, with the help of a young man we got our insurer's roadside assistance out. One and a half hours later, we were ready to hit the road. Twenty minutes later, it was clear that Carol couldn't continue, so I moved into the driver's seat. It was uncomfortable, especially depressing the clutch. I was in agony at the end, but we made it home. Hopefully, England will now lift my spirits and make the pain go away. Happy watching, everybody.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MattSantos said:

That game would have cheered you up!

 

My tinnitus is becoming really depressing. A week now, hoping the 'infection' i have clears up soon!!

The game really did cheer me up?

Hope your tinnitus clears up soon. It's a nasty problem to deal with but they've made huge progress recently with alleviating the syptoms.

 

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6363243/Pioneering-robot-KNOCKED-medics-hand-middle-heart-operation.html

Bloody hell! And me waiting for a date for open-heart mitral valve repair! ??????

You're in Lincolnshire. There won't be any robots. They're still on steam powered machines there.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

At cardiologist consultant on Monday snc hoping for surgery go ahead for op before Christmas. 

Last night, i had a dream. I was lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose.  A young student nurse appeared to give me  a partial sponge bath. "Nurse," I mumbled from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?" Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, John. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet." I struggled to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"

I struggled to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?" Concerned that I might elevate my blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about my testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises my gown, holds my manhood in one hand and my testicles gently in the other. She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, John. They look fine." I slowly pulled off my oxygen mask, and said very slowly,, "Nurse, I said ...are my test results back?"

 

  • Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

At cardiologist consultant on Monday snc hoping for surgery go ahead for op before Christmas. 

Last night, i had a dream. I was lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose.  A young student nurse appeared to give me  a partial sponge bath. "Nurse," I mumbled from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?" Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, John. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet." I struggled to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"

I struggled to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?" Concerned that I might elevate my blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about my testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises my gown, holds my manhood in one hand and my testicles gently in the other. She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, John. They look fine." I slowly pulled off my oxygen mask, and said very slowly,, "Nurse, I said ...are my test results back?"

 

Are you here all week?

Should I try the veal?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Are you here all week?

Should I try the veal?

Yes, but I'd avoid the sweetbreads.

 

  • Haha 2

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just returned from Leicester after seeing cardiothoracic surgeon.  Operation likely to be mid-Feb, repair leaking mitral valve, with backup plan of replacing it altogether in same operation if in the unlikely event it needs replacing. 7 days in hospital then 8 weeks recovery at home.  He had a full size plastic 3d model of a heart on his desk and showed us in full detail what he was talking about. Open heart surgery that involves splitting sternum to get at heart. Don't like the idea of that... or any of it, tbh.??

 

  • Thanks 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Just returned from Leicester after seeing cardiothoracic surgeon.  Operation likely to be mid-Feb, repair leaking mitral valve, with backup plan of replacing it altogether in same operation if in the unlikely event it needs replacing. 7 days in hospital then 8 weeks recovery at home.  He had a full size plastic 3d model of a heart on his desk and showed us in full detail what he was talking about. Open heart surgery that involves splitting sternum to get at heart. Don't like the idea of that... or any of it, tbh.??

 

Good luck, John!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Date  for op has now come through. Barring delay because of any emergencies, it'll be 26th Jan....just over 3 weeks away!  Worst bit apart from them delving into my chest to faf around with my heart is the healing of the breast  bone they've split to gain access. I'm banned for things like gardening, openning  the fridgd door, carrying shopping etc for quite some time. 

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Date  for op has now come through. Barring delay because of any emergencies, it'll be 26th Jan....just over 3 weeks away!  Worst bit apart from them delving into my chest to faf around with my heart is the healing of the breast  bone they've split to gain access. I'm banned for things like gardening, openning  the fridgd door, carrying shopping etc for quite some time. 

That’s my daughter’s birthday, an auspicious omen John

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JohnM said:

 I'm banned for things like gardening, opening  the fridge door, carrying shopping etc for quite some time. 

What about vacuuming and cleaning?

Sounds like there may some benefits ;)

Best of luck, I hope it all goes well.

 

 

Edit

What's happening with the bike? Asking for a friend :biggrin:

Edited by Shadow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Date  for op has now come through. Barring delay because of any emergencies, it'll be 26th Jan....just over 3 weeks away!  Worst bit apart from them delving into my chest to faf around with my heart is the healing of the breast  bone they've split to gain access. I'm banned for things like gardening, openning  the fridgd door, carrying shopping etc for quite some time. 

I assume that as you are adopting a surveying position of these tasks, which you now unfortunately can't do, that you will be able to make constructive comments to whoever has to do them so they can achieve your usual high standards.

Also, assume I put a good comment about hoping the op goes well. I'm useless at such things.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

 

Also, assume I put a good comment about hoping the op goes well. I'm useless at such things.

I don't want to worry you JohnM but I'm a bit bothered that it looks as though GJ has got a new job. Hopefully,  between now and the 26th he gets plenty of practice at his ropey technique before he starts cutting you.

Edited by Bearman
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, JohnM said:

Just returned from Leicester after seeing cardiothoracic surgeon.  Operation likely to be mid-Feb, repair leaking mitral valve, with backup plan of replacing it altogether in same operation if in the unlikely event it needs replacing. 7 days in hospital then 8 weeks recovery at home.  He had a full size plastic 3d model of a heart on his desk and showed us in full detail what he was talking about. Open heart surgery that involves splitting sternum to get at heart. Don't like the idea of that... or any of it, tbh.??

 

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Yes, no doubt it will hurt like hell, but it's amazing how quickly you forget all about that.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

I don't want to worry you JohnM but I'm a bit bothered that it looks as though GJ has got a new job. Hopefully,  between now and the 26th he gets plenty of practice at his ropey technique before he starts cutting you.

Yes, quite so. What worries me is that it is reported he's been buying Marigolds ftom Poundland.  Hope they are long sleeved and clinically clean!

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...