Jump to content

Health update.


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

So you have a broken heart?

I've heard songs about you.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

You've timed that well... the NHS is significantly investing in AF treatment and care with lower tolerances for treatment (i.e. you'll get treated earlier and at lower thresholds than before).  One of our projects this year is to make sure that GP practices are financially rewarded if they can show they meet the higher standards, and financially penalised if they don't.

  • Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

You've timed that well... the NHS is significantly investing in AF treatment and care with lower tolerances for treatment (i.e. you'll get treated earlier and at lower thresholds than before).  One of our projects this year is to make sure that GP practices are financially rewarded if they can show they meet the higher standards, and financially penalised if they don't.

Aye, always been lucky like that :kolobok_biggrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not relating to me directly but my cousin…

 

43 yrs old, had some friends over for a takeaway and told them that she nearly cancelled the evening because she had been feeling unwell in the week. She had felt much better on Saturday so kept the date in the diary - She is a single mother of 2 children (10 and 7 I think) with no underlying health issues whatsoever.

 

During the night she started talking nonsense and commenting on things that were not relevant so her friends got worried about her and got her a glass of water. Within seconds she stood up, started talking words with no meaning and fell to the floor, fitting.

 

To cut a long story short, she is into her 10th day of being in an induced coma with almost certain brain damage and is currently fighting off an infection that means the next 48 hrs are critical.

 

The ambulance arrived at her house 6 minutes after being called, had her into the hospital and on ventilator within 40 mins. She is now in the critical care unit at Kings College Hospital which I visited this weekend – wow!!! There are about 15 beds in the ward, all being expertly monitored by about 5 staff per bed, not one of the patients is conscious.

 

The way these medical professionals go about their business is unbelievable – no sign of rushing, no sign of panic, just experts doing there job as best they can. My eyes were opened  massively after that visit on Saturday and I know that she is in the safest possible place she can be – it’s 50/50 whether she ever wakes up and if she does it will be with some degree of brain damage.

 

Live every single day folks, you really don’t know what is round the corner and to all of the “immigrants” who are looking after my cousin and other patients – Thank you

  • Like 7

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Not relating to me directly but my cousin…

 

43 yrs old, had some friends over for a takeaway and told them that she nearly cancelled the evening because she had been feeling unwell in the week. She had felt much better on Saturday so kept the date in the diary - She is a single mother of 2 children (10 and 7 I think) with no underlying health issues whatsoever.

 

During the night she started talking nonsense and commenting on things that were not relevant so her friends got worried about her and got her a glass of water. Within seconds she stood up, started talking words with no meaning and fell to the floor, fitting.

 

To cut a long story short, she is into her 10th day of being in an induced coma with almost certain brain damage and is currently fighting off an infection that means the next 48 hrs are critical.

 

The ambulance arrived at her house 6 minutes after being called, had her into the hospital and on ventilator within 40 mins. She is now in the critical care unit at Kings College Hospital which I visited this weekend – wow!!! There are about 15 beds in the ward, all being expertly monitored by about 5 staff per bed, not one of the patients is conscious.

 

The way these medical professionals go about their business is unbelievable – no sign of rushing, no sign of panic, just experts doing there job as best they can. My eyes were opened  massively after that visit on Saturday and I know that she is in the safest possible place she can be – it’s 50/50 whether she ever wakes up and if she does it will be with some degree of brain damage.

 

Live every single day folks, you really don’t know what is round the corner and to all of the “immigrants” who are looking after my cousin and other patients – Thank you

This is the unseen but hugely expensive part of the NHS that costs so much. There's no credible way to give the nation the education you had without giving them the trauma of seeing people they care for in it, that means that it often gets reduced to daft levels of simplicity.

I'm a NHS insider and even I didn't know the true level of cost, effort and care that goes into the critical care parts that get little publicity. It was only when my wife went in there in 2016 that I had my eyes opened to it.

  • Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

You'll be fine, I've had the same condition for years. Clopidogrel and a Diltiazem tablet every morning and you'll be right.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck with the treatment, Dave T.

And, as for Kenny T's cousin, I don't know what to say. I can only hope that she gets the best possible outcome.

Best wishes to both.

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Derwent said:

You'll be fine, I've had the same condition for years. Clopidogrel and a Diltiazem tablet every morning and you'll be right.

Clopidogrel is for old men. Dabigatran and Eplerenone is what all the cool kids take. And Amlodipine. And Ramipril.

I rattle some mornings.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2019 at 10:57, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Not relating to me directly but my cousin…

 

43 yrs old, had some friends over for a takeaway and told them that she nearly cancelled the evening because she had been feeling unwell in the week. She had felt much better on Saturday so kept the date in the diary - She is a single mother of 2 children (10 and 7 I think) with no underlying health issues whatsoever.

 

During the night she started talking nonsense and commenting on things that were not relevant so her friends got worried about her and got her a glass of water. Within seconds she stood up, started talking words with no meaning and fell to the floor, fitting.

 

To cut a long story short, she is into her 10th day of being in an induced coma with almost certain brain damage and is currently fighting off an infection that means the next 48 hrs are critical.

 

The ambulance arrived at her house 6 minutes after being called, had her into the hospital and on ventilator within 40 mins. She is now in the critical care unit at Kings College Hospital which I visited this weekend – wow!!! There are about 15 beds in the ward, all being expertly monitored by about 5 staff per bed, not one of the patients is conscious.

 

The way these medical professionals go about their business is unbelievable – no sign of rushing, no sign of panic, just experts doing there job as best they can. My eyes were opened  massively after that visit on Saturday and I know that she is in the safest possible place she can be – it’s 50/50 whether she ever wakes up and if she does it will be with some degree of brain damage.

 

Live every single day folks, you really don’t know what is round the corner and to all of the “immigrants” who are looking after my cousin and other patients – Thank you

Sadly, after being in an induced coma for 3 1/2 weeks today, my cousin, sadly passed away. They still do not know what caused this and say there only around 2 to 3 cases like this a year in the UK.

We got to say goodbye and she died peacefully - the heartbreak is that she never got to say goodbye to her children and vice versa

The care she got from St Thomas College hospital was faultless but ultimately there was nothing they could do.

I shall be holding my family closer tonight - do the same please if you can

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Sadly, after being in an induced coma for 3 1/2 weeks today, my cousin, sadly passed away. They still do not know what caused this and say there only around 2 to 3 cases like this a year in the UK.

We got to say goodbye and she died peacefully - the heartbreak is that she never got to say goodbye to her children and vice versa

The care she got from St Thomas College hospital was faultless but ultimately there was nothing they could do.

I shall be holding my family closer tonight - do the same please if you can

 

 

So, so sorry to hear that. 

  • Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have just returned from a funeral - 43 yo wife of my best man (and i was their best man) she had had a brain tumour 4 years ago that appeared to have been sorted. March she suddenly collapsed and despite regaining consciousness she was never really there again (the person had gone) over the last few months she has just drifted away until she passed away in her sleep. Leaves a 8 & 4 1/2 yo

 

Didnt want to mention before as knew KT had a relative in a coma - now I know she has also drifted away I dont feel bad mentioning it

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sympathies and best wishes to you both, KT and SSouthener - absolutely tragic.

Hear, hear.

Nothing else to say. Hope you all get the support you and your families need and can be there for each other.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Sadly, after being in an induced coma for 3 1/2 weeks today, my cousin, sadly passed away. They still do not know what caused this and say there only around 2 to 3 cases like this a year in the UK.

We got to say goodbye and she died peacefully - the heartbreak is that she never got to say goodbye to her children and vice versa

The care she got from St Thomas College hospital was faultless but ultimately there was nothing they could do.

I shall be holding my family closer tonight - do the same please if you can

 

 

Sad, so sad. Condolences.  Kind of puts other stuff into perspective. 

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Sadly, after being in an induced coma for 3 1/2 weeks today, my cousin, sadly passed away. They still do not know what caused this and say there only around 2 to 3 cases like this a year in the UK.

We got to say goodbye and she died peacefully - the heartbreak is that she never got to say goodbye to her children and vice versa

The care she got from St Thomas College hospital was faultless but ultimately there was nothing they could do.

I shall be holding my family closer tonight - do the same please if you can

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing the story.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

i have just returned from a funeral - 43 yo wife of my best man (and i was their best man) she had had a brain tumour 4 years ago that appeared to have been sorted. March she suddenly collapsed and despite regaining consciousness she was never really there again (the person had gone) over the last few months she has just drifted away until she passed away in her sleep. Leaves a 8 & 4 1/2 yo

 

Didnt want to mention before as knew KT had a relative in a coma - now I know she has also drifted away I dont feel bad mentioning it

bless you - heartbreaking stuff for you and al concerned. Your sensitivity has not gone unnoticed, thank you

  • Thanks 2

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve volunteered for a clinical trial to reduce my blood pressure, it’s effectively a stent in the carotid artery that convinces the body that blood pressure is dangerously high therefore it does more to reduce it without medication.

Part of the process is lots of tests and assessments, today was a full physical work up, including going over blood tests, doing an ECG and getting my arteries scanned by ultrasound to make sure they’re good enough for the process.  Even if I pan out as I don’t meet the very strict medical criteria then I’ll still get the Plan B of direct access to the country’s best blood pressure clinicians to help put me right.

The doctor wasn’t impressed by my blood tests, he thought they were wrong as the cholesterol was too low and something had gone wrong with the test. I had to convince him that those were normal for me. 2mmol/L total cholesterol with <1mmol/L LDL (bad cholesterol). The reference range for a “healthy” adult is 5mmol/L total with no more than 3mmol/L LDL.

I blame my wife, she keeps feeding me all this healthy stuff when my genetic makeup is designed to eat high-fat stodgy stuff.

All passed today, onto MRI scans of the entire path of the procedure and other bits of me.

  • Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really sorry to hear this, must be heartbreaking and my thoughts go out to you. Had a bit of a couple of weeks myself, but dosent seem right to bang on about it right now,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Some really sad stories on here. 

Yesterday I attended my Dad's funeral, in his case it was probably a release from his complex health concerns. The hardest part was writing a eulogy 

Sorry to hear about your loss. My commiserations to you and your family.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...