29 Jun: SL: St Helens v Wakefield Trinity KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wakefield Trinity
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/06/18 at 18:45

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Saints far from unbeatable. Will they do a Cas?

Do you mean blast through the league season, scrape into the final. And then have a week of play off plans blown up in smoke by someone who couldn’t  stop shoving stuff up his nose? 

Doubt it, but he plays in same position.

Just now, snapski said:

Do you mean blast through the league season, scrape into the final. And then have a week of play off plans blown up in smoke by someone who couldn’t  stop shoving stuff up his nose? 

So Cas were a one man team last year?

Two blatantly obvious decisions went against us. James Batchelor should have had a try James Child got it wrong. Zeb Taia double movement and JC gives it. I’m sorry but that’s not good enough. He gave no try for saints but had to go to VR and he gave it. You couldn’t make it up...

f3gms4.jpg

1 minute ago, snapski said:

Did I say that? You’re a fool if you don’t think what happened didn’t disrupt the preparations. But then again it is you.

Strong groups find a way to endure in adversity, weak groups fall apart. Go figure.

And pack it in with the insults. You're like a big baby.

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not just fitter, but all the little things that separate a very good team in 6th place from a very good team at the top of the table.

Absolutely nothing to do with wakey playing a game in Sunday 5 days prior in a hotter night than tonight. That advantage and a bad call for last saints try that ultimately was proved the difference. 

Gutted tonight. Just a shame the likes of Tom Johnstone and Ashurst will likely not pull on an England shirt. One has class and is the top scoring winger in the super league even after a big injury that takes a strong will to get over. Another who is the most consistent forward I have ever seen at wakey in 20 years. Never a bad game. 

I suppose for the sport it’s positive as that was most likely a cracking game for neutral and fans of the sport.

17 minutes ago, snapski said:

No.

I mean blow away all comers during the regular season, scrape into the Grand Final then get smashed upfront and lose horribly at Old Trafford :wink:

Hard to think Wakey weren't hard done by there, and I hope some of that luck will level out for them over the remainder of the season.

I'm chuffed we managed to win back momentum after conceding three on the bounce though. It would've been all too easy to buckle at that point, but we showed a winning mentality in not allowing that to happen.

Have to be pleased in getting two points against dangerous opposition who've proved they can beat anyone in this league on their day. How far are they off establishing themselves as a real force? Been a solid outfit for a good couple of years now.

On 6/28/2018 at 7:02 AM, Eleftherios said:

Yes it was the only time I recall seeing him kept quiet. I fancy Trinity at home against anyone. But this is away. Saints by 12.

Just to pull this back from pre game.

Barba must really hate playing wakey. We are probably the only team in the league who can handle him to the point his performance looks hits the floor.

38 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Let's be right Wakefield were robbed there,Childs was shocking.

Was awful last week too.  No excuse tonight, try scoring decisions wrong with the VR available. Bout due a spell in the championship.

3 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Just seen the kick by Barba to stop the Wakey try. Penalty try if ever there was one. And a yellow card to boot. Disgraceful.

I agree that a penalty try would have been appropriate but a yellow card on top would've been excessive I think. The penalty try would negate the foul play which would've been a fair place to leave it.

1 minute ago, MrFussy said:

I agree that a penalty try would have been appropriate but a yellow card on top would've been excessive I think. The penalty try would negate the foul play which would've been a fair place to leave it.

Agreed. Having said that, it would have been just as harsh as the one Navarette received last night. I've just seen that for the first time on TV, and it was a shocking decision.

45 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You should be. You deserved a lot more than you got out of that game tonight. 

To be fair to my team though we did gift Wakey the first try, quite literally, and we did kick out on the full twice, giving Wakey opportunity to make us pay, so it's not like Wakey didn't have opportunities.  The only 'hard luck' I could see against Wakey was what I thought was a foul by Barba early on when he kicked the ball out of the hands of the Wakey player.  At least I thought doing that was a foul anyway.  

There was nowhere else in the match when Wakey was hard done to, regardless of what Chris Chester said in his less than gracious interview.

Meanwhile, I hope our coach makes sure that from now on in nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed a holiday because we do not handle breaks.  Our best players were those who went to Denver, plus Regan Grace.  

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

To be fair to my team though we did gift Wakey the first try, quite literally, and we did kick out on the full twice, giving Wakey opportunity to make us pay, so it's not like Wakey didn't have opportunities.  The only 'hard luck' I could see against Wakey was what I thought was a foul by Barba early on when he kicked the ball out of the hands of the Wakey player.  At least I thought doing that was a foul anyway.  

There was nowhere else in the match when Wakey was hard done to, regardless of what Chris Chester said in his less than gracious interview.

Meanwhile, I hope our coach makes sure that from now on in nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed a holiday because we do not handle breaks.  Our best players were those who went to Denver, plus Regan Grace.  

I didn't say they were hard done by, I said their efforts deserved more than they got.

A draw would not have been unfair on the balance of play.

21 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

Just to pull this back from pre game.

Barba must really hate playing wakey. We are probably the only team in the league who can handle him to the point his performance looks hits the floor.

I would disagree there.  He's been silenced by a few teams.  

We aren't a one man team.  We have won without Barba on the pitch.  We even managed to beat Hull at Langtree with neither Robes nor Barba playing.

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I didn't say they were hard done by, I said their efforts deserved more than they got.

A draw would not have been unfair on the balance of play.

I don't buy that.  It may look nicer but ultimately Wakefield had a number of opportunities to win the game, even with the Barba incident early doors.  We haven't conceded that many tries in a match this season to begin with and we gifted a couple of extra sets with the kicks out on the full for example and of course we handed the ball to Wakefield for their first try.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I would disagree there.  He's been silenced by a few teams.  

We aren't a one man team.  We have won without Barba on the pitch.  We even managed to beat Hull at Langtree with neither Robes nor Barba playing.

Trying to find positives out of a loss tbf as a wakey fan as much as I’m proud we have been so close in so many games. 

I just hope we can continue to improve season on season because I can see the backbone of a team that can challenge. Just missing one or two ingredients that’s all. 

Cant be too down though after a good game of rugby. In reality there were soft tries on both sides but a lot of quality play and scores which is much better than some of the bore fests I’ve seen over the season.

on to Catalans next week where we can hopefully mount some sort of an outside chance of slipping into the top 4 come season end.

Just now, Saintslass said:

I don't buy that.  It may look nicer but ultimately Wakefield had a number of opportunities to win the game, even with the Barba incident early doors.  We haven't conceded that many tries in a match this season to begin with and we gifted a couple of extra sets with the kicks out on the full for example and of course we handed the ball to Wakefield for their first try.

Yes, and that's why Wakefield could, and maybe should, have at least got a draw out of it.

I'm not bemoaning the fact that Saints won, that is a matter of record, but they very nearly got beaten, and couldn't have complained if they had.

Archived